Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Help needed to choose an alternative car...
alibeau

Help needed to choose an alternative car...

I will be looking at purchasing a new or used car for myself if Hubby ends up having my Evoque. I am going around in circles! I would like a small SUV. Probably petrol but would consider diesel (but I only do around 8k a year). Got to be automatic. If it was AWD or 4WD great but not crucial....

Then I find myself thinking if this vehicle is not 4WD why don't I just by a car?!? Rolling Eyes I did love the look of the Hyundai Veloster but it is not longer available auto....

Anyway I've looked at the Mokka, Qashqai, Sportage but I guess I am looking for the closest spec to my Evoque (Si4) but at a fraction of the price! Budget is 20/25k but could stretch it for the 'right' vehicle but definitely can't go to £30k unless I could then source the vehicle from a 'discount' website...

Really like the new Qashqai but auto is only available in diesel which I would not mind but am afraid that if I don't do enough mileage I could encounter problems??

I really would appreciate any thoughts - even if it's just advice on which cars NOT to go for so that I don't buy a turkey!!!

TIA,

Ali.

Black Dynamic Si4 - gone but not forgotten.
09-01-2014 02:43pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IKM

RE: Help needed to choose an alternative car...

What about the facelifted 4x4 Yeti. I hear and read great things about them!

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
09-01-2014 03:14pm
tetstb

Wait for new Qashqai or even the new Ford 4x4 mini

Cheers

Bob

SD4 Auto Dynamic OG , Verve, Panoramic Roof, Chrome Shadow, 825w audio, Park Assist, Privacy Glass.

[Image: 123130.png]
09-01-2014 03:18pm
MarkA_

(09-01-2014 03:14pm)IKM Wrote:  What about the facelifted 4x4 Yeti. I hear and read great things about them!

+1 The Yeti is very highly regarded and great value for money as well

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
09-01-2014 05:55pm
PhilSkill

I speced up a new yeti, and time youve added the normal options its quite expensive, the Juke 4wd was best value 4wd SUV I could find if you can stomach its looks.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
10-01-2014 12:55am
J77

My annual mileage is 8,000 tops, never had a problem with the DPF. I take it on a long run every now and again to help keep everything clean.

You can get a top spec pre face lift Fl2 which doesn't have the DPF if that's what is concerning you about the diesel.

Anyway moving away from LR I would look at:

Skoda Yeti
Nissan Qashqai
Nissan Juke (my parents had a limited edition shiro loaded with kit, but the diesel was a bit gruff)
Renault captur
Kia Sportage (parents currently have a 2wd one, very nice to drive and getting 49mpg 1.7crdi)
Ford Kuga

I think personally if I had to choose from the above I would go Qashqai.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
10-01-2014 08:57pm
alibeau

Thanks everyone, really appreciate your input as I know what great taste you all have in cars Wink

In a strange twist of fate a used Veloster auto has become available at a dealership about an hours drive away so we are going to look at that in the morning....

I'm afraid the Yeti and Juke offend me greatly Laughing although beggars can't be choosers of course!

If we have no joy tomorrow I think plan b is the new Qashqai but can't test drive one of those til later in the month...

I'll keep you updated!

Thanks again.

Ali.

Black Dynamic Si4 - gone but not forgotten.
10-01-2014 09:29pm
J77

I've owned two Hyundais, a Tucson and a Santa Fe (2nd generation), very well built and reliable. Thumbs Up

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
10-01-2014 09:55pm
IKM

Actually I agree with you TBH Ali, both the Yeti and the Juke leave me non plus. What about a nearly new 'pre loved' Freelander? Currently great value!

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
10-01-2014 11:59pm
The Valeter

(10-01-2014 08:57pm)J77 Wrote:  My annual mileage is 8,000 tops, never had a problem with the DPF. I take it on a long run every now and again to help keep everything clean.

You can get a top spec pre face lift Fl2 which doesn't have the DPF if that's what is concerning you about the diesel.

Anyway moving away from LR I would look at:

Skoda Yeti
Nissan Qashqai
Nissan Juke (my parents had a limited edition shiro loaded with kit, but the diesel was a bit gruff)
Renault captur
Kia Sportage (parents currently have a 2wd one, very nice to drive and getting 49mpg 1.7crdi)
Ford Kuga

I think personally if I had to choose from the above I would go Qashqai.

I would prefer the Ford by name if nothing else yet the local dealership have a well specced Kuga at over £37,000. No way would I pay that for that.
You could always buy my 10Month old Evoque!!

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
11-01-2014 12:42am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply