Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Halogen Bulb out again.... 3rd time in the 3 years I've had the car
bangsters

Halogen Bulb out again.... 3rd time in the 3 years I've had the car

Hello guys. Anyone else have replaced the halogen bulb multiple times in during the time you've owned your RRE? Mine's a 2014 Pure Plus, and the halogen bulb has died again a 3rd time now. I've had the car for around 3 years, and I've used Sylvania (sp?) bulbs.

Anyone else encountered the same? Should I replace the bulb with LED bulb, if so how and what needs to be changed to accept LED bulb?

2014 Ipanema Sand Pure Plus. Mods to follow....
Images hosted on PixelsBin
22-01-2018 04:43pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jcarrot

RE: Halogen Bulb out again.... 3rd time in the 3 years I've had the car

(22-01-2018 04:43pm)bangsters Wrote:  Hello guys. Anyone else have replaced the halogen bulb multiple times in during the time you've owned your RRE? Mine's a 2014 Pure Plus, and the halogen bulb has died again a 3rd time now. I've had the car for around 3 years, and I've used Sylvania (sp?) bulbs.

Anyone else encountered the same? Should I replace the bulb with LED bulb, if so how and what needs to be changed to accept LED bulb?

Try Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited, pretty reliable with a much brighter light and not much more expensive.
22-01-2018 06:17pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PJRComputerSolutions

Don’t know whether this Applies to Cars purchased in the USA, But here in the UK, JLR offer a Ballast Resistor Fix for HB3 Halogen Eqipped Cars....

It costs about £60, which includes the Resistor Pack & OEM HB3’s

It might be an idea to Enquire at a JLR Dealership, whether this “fix” is available Stateside?

Good Luck.....
22-01-2018 06:18pm
bangsters

Thanks. Is it the ballast causing the bulb to die pretty quick? I have heard from another buddy that water gets in the headlight and probably shorting out the bulb.

I will look at that Osram Nightbreaker.

24-01-2018 01:15pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

This is definitely a recurring theme with Halogens on the Evoque, Halfords are not supposed to supply bulbs for the Evoque.

I would think it's either the Switch on current is overdriving the Bulb, or the bulb itself gets too hot in the headlamp unit. Been much worse reports of Bulbs exploding and leaving glass fragments jammed in the High Beam shutter.

The Ballast fix, sounds like it might intend to reduce the in-draw current through the bulb on switch on.

Certainly worth seeing if they know about and will apply the fix.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
25-01-2018 03:53pm
bangsters

Thanks!! I might need to revisit that halogen to DRL headlight conversion. I can't keep replacing bulbs every year lol

27-01-2018 07:52pm
bangsters

Looks like both halogen bulbs died on me lol.... didn't notice til when I was already on the road. Luckily the fog lamps are bright..

Now time to replace them both with LED bulbs, any plug n play ones? Any recommendations?

12-02-2018 05:28pm
IvorRedOne

(25-01-2018 03:53pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  This is definitely a recurring theme with Halogens on the Evoque, Halfords are not supposed to supply bulbs for the Evoque.

I bought GE +120 Bulb 9005 HB3 on advice from Halfords and after one month of usage one of the bulbs exploded and left some fragments inside the glass housing.

I checked out Halfords website and in small writing on a specifications page stated not suitable for Evoque. What's the point in stating this on another page other than the main description page.

Halfords replaced them with standard bulbs with no issues but I should have taken the matter further as I can still see small fragments of glass inside the light housing.

Standard HB3 light emission is poor and in comparison to my XC60 R-Design there is no comparison.

Just ordered Osram Night Breaker Unlimited so hopefully will see some improvement.

Stay clear of Halfords for sure.
27-03-2018 07:34pm
jcarrot

(27-03-2018 07:34pm)IvorRedOne Wrote:  I bought GE +120 Bulb 9005 HB3 on advice from Halfords and after one month of usage one of the bulbs exploded and left some fragments inside the glass housing.

I checked out Halfords website and in small writing on a specifications page stated not suitable for Evoque. What's the point in stating this on another page other than the main description page.

Halfords replaced them with standard bulbs with no issues but I should have taken the matter further as I can still see small fragments of glass inside the light housing.

Standard HB3 light emission is poor and in comparison to my XC60 R-Design there is no comparison.

Just ordered Osram Night Breaker Unlimited so hopefully will see some improvement.

Stay clear of Halfords for sure.

My Night Breakers have been in for 3 years ( I am touching wood now! ) trouble free.
Fitted by my local Land Rover dealer.
27-03-2018 07:42pm
bangsters

(27-03-2018 07:42pm)jcarrot Wrote:  My Night Breakers have been in for 3 years ( I am touching wood now! ) trouble free.
Fitted by my local Land Rover dealer.

Night Breakers? Do you have a link?

Also, are there any LED plugin bulbs for RR Halogen headlights?

29-03-2018 08:04pm