Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Got it 3 months early!
Sarcastrix

RE: Got it 3 months early!

(23-02-2012 08:42am)ED209 Wrote:  Still makes no sense how people living thousands of miles away from the factory get their cars early, yet some who live a couple of hors drive away seem to be waiting for ever.

Because the LHD is HUGE unlike the relatively small RHD market, therefore RR build (for example) large numbers of LHD Fuji pures to feed demand. Also many markets (Germany, Sweden, France etc) prefer base spec cars, these cars are much quicker to build instead of cars destined for the UK market which prefers lots of extras which take a lot longer to build. QED

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
23-02-2012 09:18am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ED209

(23-02-2012 09:18am)Sarcastrix Wrote:  Because the LHD is HUGE unlike the relatively small RHD market, therefore RR build (for example) large numbers of LHD Fuji pures to feed demand. Also many markets (Germany, Sweden, France etc) prefer base spec cars, these cars are much quicker to build instead of cars destined for the UK market which prefers lots of extras which take a lot longer to build. QED

A car with loads of extras on will take minutes or at most a couple of hours longer to build.

Also my car is more or less base spec, so theres two strands of your argument gone,

The third strand could be solved if LR simply produced cars in the same order they were ordered. Which seems a fair system.
23-02-2012 09:56am
Sarcastrix

Like Doh! It's not my argument, I don't work for LR.

As you say if it only takes "minutes or at most a couple of hours" but that is per car, times that by 1000's of cars = more time to build, yes? It's a lot easier for them to build a ship load of basic spec cars and send them off to the bigger markets in the USA or Europe

How do you explain why base spec LHD are available so readily in certain markets?

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
23-02-2012 10:18am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

My understanding is the extras are not installled on the line, the car is assembled in sections that are prefabricated at the suppliers factory and shipped as a completed dash/ seat/ centre console/ 2 seat rear bench etc to the factory. Each unit has a bar code on it which is the same on all the components of "your" car and if this all goes to plan they all meet up at the right place along the length of the line to be installed in a shell in the body colour you ordered. the only "options" installed on the line being non model-standard wheels (e.g. 20" wheels on a Pure or Prestige), spare wheels, solar attenuating glass and delete badging

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 23-02-2012 10:29am by XFullFatTim.)
23-02-2012 10:27am
Sarcastrix

(23-02-2012 09:56am)ED209 Wrote:  The third strand could be solved if LR simply produced cars in the same order they were ordered. Which seems a fair system.

I not defending LR however, car production lines don't always work like that. Different models are built in batches, who knows what these batch are? (seats, headling, availability of parts). I do know that Audi only build cars of a certain colour at a particular time. I get fed up with people pleating on about how long their car is taking even VAG have well reported production delays of 8-12 months due to demand Banging Head

BTW, have you taken your suggestions to LR, if you do please feel free to share their reply with the forum.

23-02-2012 10:30am
Firenze

(23-02-2012 09:56am)ED209 Wrote:  The third strand could be solved if LR simply produced cars in the same order they were ordered. Which seems a fair system.

Or a really wild thought I know but couldn't the British company Land Rover which builds cars in Britain fulfil the British orders first as a priority instead of the rest of the world first, as I have read a few posts that suggest the US have much shorter waiting times than us, Im sure it wouldn't damage sells.

Other countries favour their own markets first, take Apple I think I remember right that the first iPad was delayed to the UK as the demand in the US was higher than expected.

P.S I know Land Rover is owned by Tata but you know what I mean

Firenze Dynamic Si4, Pano roof, Verve, Ebony headliner, Black Strata, Privacy glass, Lux Pack - Enjoying since 7/3/12
23-02-2012 12:29pm
Evo-king

Firenze.

Excellent sentiments, but wishful thinking on us Brits part.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
23-02-2012 09:23pm
ChuckieB

(23-02-2012 09:23pm)Evo-king Wrote:  Firenze.

Excellent sentiments, but wishful thinking on us Brits part.

And the waiting time for a new Rolex Daytona is...............

These manufacturers are hardly likely to be flooding the Market where they don't have to. They can control residuals and they need to consider the 'machine' that is the second market which is vital for the supper of the whole industry.

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
23-02-2012 09:37pm
slee18

If I read ops correctly he didn't really get it early. It was coincidence that the same spec they ordered came in not that it was ordered then came in early.

12 Evoque Si4 (US) Galway Green Prestige ivory expresso interior
24-02-2012 06:27am
cheetohcat

well, I will say it was serendipity; not because my order or my dealer was prioritized.

I purchased through Hornburg Land Rover, Santa Monica and had placed the order in January. Based on this sale rates, the dealership was given a few extra Evoque units. My understanding was that they had no say in what add'l units they received. but by sheer luck, one of the Evoques was almost identical to the specs I had ordered. My dealer called me and we test drove it an sealed the deal.
24-02-2012 10:47am