Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gap Insurance
Charlie
No Longer Registered

RE: Gap Insurance

Sorry probably wasn't very clear. Just wondered if there was any insurance companies that included total loss with your standard policy or are they only always bought separately? I'm surprised if not as would have thought there might be a need for a more comprehensive/protected type of policy for more expensive cars, I'd only learnt about gap from this forum so perhaps not widely known.
(This post was last modified: 25-08-2011 09:55am by Charlie.)
25-08-2011 09:52am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Charlie, normal comprehensive insurance will only pay out what they think your car was worth the millisecond before the damage occurred - so they take into account scrap value, miles on it, the general condition etc etc it is not the second hand value of the car and is often a lot less - sometimes they only offer the value of the scrap metal unless you dispute it, but even then you won't get a lot more.
GAP is a way to insure that gap between what the insurer pays out and the original value of the car (if it is back to receipt) or the cost to replace with new (as in back to replacement). This can be particularly useful if you buy your car using finance as you could end up having insufficient value in the wreck to pay off the finance................ which means you could end up making payments on nothing if the insurers value doesn't match the outstanding finance! With GAP you will at least get the value back to the original receipt up to the amount agreed in the contract or you will get the amount to get you into a new car.
Well that is my understanding of how it works - feel free to discuss!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 25-08-2011 10:21am by XFullFatTim.)
25-08-2011 10:19am
kam100

GAP is becoming more and more common place knowledge as dealers/traders push it quite hard nowadays. See the video here on our website:

Some insurance companies when you buy a brand new car, they provide 'like for like replacement for the first 12 months, which is why we allow on Return to Invoice policies for the start date for the policy to be up to a year past the point of actual purchase, to allow full benefit if your own insurance provider will do like for like in the first year. However you have to check, as most don't provide this like for like new car cover in the first 12 months anymore as the insurance market has tightened up over the past 12-24 months.
25-08-2011 10:21am
Charlie
No Longer Registered

Yep, totally understand the whole concept. I'm just surprised bog standard insurers when you ring up/get a quote online don't have a more comprehensive option, that's all. Maybe I should start a new business!
25-08-2011 10:37am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I think you will find in all insurance that there is always a "gap" in the cover - for example in marine insurance only 3/4 of the costs are covered under the hull policy the remaining 1/4 is covered by another insurance called P&I (protection and indemnity) which covers things like the crewing costs, oil pollution, strikes, cargo damage, loss of hire etc

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 25-08-2011 10:42am by XFullFatTim.)
25-08-2011 10:42am
bell-auto-services

Has anyone got the insurance for less than £399 from there dealers, and is so what was the cost ?

Pete

TV/DVD-On-The-Move modules available from £145+ £10 UK mainland shipping Excluding higlands and Islands.
(This post was last modified: 21-10-2011 01:58pm by bell-auto-services.)
21-10-2011 01:52pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SW6RR

Gap Insurance

Mine was going to include it at around £550. I asked him to take it off!

Arrived (5/11/11): SD4 5-door "Presnamic" Lux Very Happy Auto, Fuji, Spirit/Tan, Style 8 20" Wheels, fully loaded (bar RSE, smoker's pack and Homelink)
21-10-2011 01:54pm
Blackseries

Kam100 does your policy cover stolen keys .... had a look through your T&C's but couldn't see it mentioned.

SD4 Prestige Sport Auto 5 Door, Sumatra Black with Ambience interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Surround Cameras, Electric Tailgate, ADRVM.......& Heated Steering Wheel......Gorgeous
21-10-2011 04:12pm
defender_uk

not been offered it....

Defender_uk

Evoque Prestige Lux, OG, maual, style 4 wheels

comes to live with Defender 90 TDCi 07
21-10-2011 04:17pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kam100

With regards to Stolen keys our policy would cover that as long as your insurance company had paid out the claim.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks

Simon
21-10-2011 05:05pm