Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Flat battery
J77

RE: Flat battery

Just back after 4 weeks working in London and was expecting something similar but all ok, started first time and EPB released (unlike my D3). Was a long 4 weeks using the tube and the DLR.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
09-08-2012 05:12pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Mark, I wasn't paying that close attention to what the LRA guy was connected to but he did have everything supplying back-up power (Disco4and power pack) connected directly to the terminals, nothing to the body or any other part of the car. He did say he was a bit surprised that the solar panel had been able to keep the battery topped up as he thought the battery monitor might have blocked it charging the battery. At one stage he had 3 different meters connected to different parts of the electrical system checking if the monitor needed resetting (apparently this needs to be done when the battery gets super-discharged) He also told me that in his experience since LR have started using some new style (as of 2010MY FFRR) battery made with what I heard to be glass(??) he had had far fewer self discharging batteries to deal with, if fact mine was only the second he had been called out for since the beginning of the year - the other was a Freelander2 that had been put in a garage and parked so close to the left hand wall of the garage that the owner couldn't get to the emergency keyhole to use the emergency key to get in after the battery had gone flat overnight on a brand new car!

Here is the cause of my problem - I suspect after 6 years of winding the charger cable to it's storage the moulded coupling at the connection to the panel has given up.
[Image: DSCF0370.jpg]

[Image: DSCF0375.jpg]

I'm not good with electrics but I assume that the battery was discharged by "earthing" through the flex touching the leather on the centre console.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2012 10:18pm by XFullFatTim.)
09-08-2012 10:01pm
doug

Leather can give a partial earth if damp, but in your case the inner core cable has probably broken on your freeloader charger.
Not worth repairing.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
09-08-2012 10:59pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Doug, I suspect the cost of repairing it would exceed the cost of the freight on a new one to be shipped from China on one of the ships operated by my employer! Pity, I wonder if there are any solar panel recyclers yet as the panel is still working fine as I can still get the LED that indicates it is charging to flash by making the broken ends contact?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2012 11:04pm by XFullFatTim.)
09-08-2012 11:02pm