Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fitting aluminium paddle shifters
DfunkyT

Just had a build date (ish) confirmed for March which means it should float its way here (Japan) by May.

My current car has paddle shifters and I don't think I can live with the plastic paddles on the evoque. Checking the users manual, they seem pretty easy to fit. So two questions, has anyone done the job themselves, and secondly, anyone seen them for under £324 (seen at 'shukersparts')? The dealer here is asking around ¥70,000 which is around £410 at today's exchange rate. Of course if I ordered from the U.K. I'd have to factor in postage.

If anyone has any tips, much appreciated.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

27-01-2014 01:24pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
duckworthparts
Site Sponsor

RE: Fitting aluminium paddle shifters

£300 from us, P&P £10

edit £300 includes vat so would come out at £250 as export at 0% VAT

http://www.duckworthparts.co.uk
http://www.duckworthlandrover.co.uk - Vehicle Sales
My Direct Line: 01673 849873
Email: danroberts@duckworthlandrover.co.uk

You can make a paypal directly to the email above

[Image: hwc8.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 27-01-2014 02:03pm by duckworthparts.)
27-01-2014 02:02pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DfunkyT

(27-01-2014 02:02pm)duckworthparts Wrote:  £300 from us, P&P £10

edit £300 includes vat so would come out at £250 as export at 0% VAT

Thanks for the info. Will likely place an order closer to delivery time. Cool
27-01-2014 02:59pm
MarkA_

Does anyone have any theories why these cost so much? I assume it just a few £s of cast then brushed then anodised aluminium.

Has anyone found any good 3rd party paddle shifters?

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
27-01-2014 06:55pm
DfunkyT

(27-01-2014 06:55pm)MarkA_ Wrote:  Does anyone have any theories why these cost so much? I assume it just a few £s of cast then brushed then anodised aluminium.

Has anyone found any good 3rd party paddle shifters?

Looking at the manual, they're not just the metal paddle, but include the wiring to transmit the signal to the gearbox's brain, but even so, pretty pricy.

For fitting, it seems it's just the undoing of a screw and the disconnection of the wiring clip and the reverse to fit the new ones. Seems simple enough. Famous last words perhaps!

From the manual

(This post was last modified: 27-01-2014 11:06pm by DfunkyT.)
27-01-2014 10:52pm
LIONHEAD

Just a 5 minute job. Very easy. You can get the bronze plastic paddles from the F-Type as it will work on the Evoque. The bronze paddles do illuminate (+/-) but they are shorter than the aluminum ones. I prefer the red aluminum ones though.

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-RED-ALUMI...ght=paddle
28-01-2014 04:37pm
DfunkyT

Thanks for sharing. Feeling the aluminum ones are the way to go for me, although in the reviews I've read, they say it's hard to keep track of 9 gears! In my current car at least I can keep track by the engine note. Still, there's nothing like getting it right on those winding mountain ascents, though must be weird to be in fifth gear when all around are in second or third.
28-01-2014 09:50pm
mark_n

I do think the pricing on these is obscene.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
29-01-2014 10:58pm
DfunkyT

Agreed. I wonder how many people opt for them. Perhaps not that many hence the high price, or perhaps the nasty plastic is a LR ploy to make us fork out. It's almost like a Porsche pricing policy. "Rear wiper sir? Certainly. That'll be £300!!"

Still, looking forward to the 9 speed, e diff, torque vectoring etc. guess that's where all the money went.
29-01-2014 11:15pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

(28-01-2014 09:50pm)DfunkyT Wrote:  .......although in the reviews I've read, they say it's hard to keep track of 9 gears!

Maybe they should take a look in the dash board Info display because IIRC (haven't been in an Evoque for 4 months and getting withdrawal symptoms!) there is a numeral in a circle appears when you are using the "Sport" mode or you choose to shift manually with the paddles. Photos of the 2014 9Speed car's dash that I have seen also show the gear the car is in. When you are in fully auto mode D then D is all that is displayed in the info centre

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
02-02-2014 04:49pm