Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Extended Warranty
martinPL

RE: Extended Warranty

(26-02-2012 04:09pm)miller4isu Wrote:  All very good points - Does anyone know if the extended warranty has to be purchased at the same time as car purchase? It might be nice to have the Evoque for a while before I have to decide if I should purchase the extended warranty. My thought is that if I absolutely love the Evoque, and plan on keeping it long term, the extended warranty may make more sense. If I only plan on keeping it 3 years or so, it wouldn't make much sense to get the extended warranty.
Has anyone else in the US purchased the 6 yr/100,000 mile warranty? What did you end up paying for it?

The one the US dealer offer is as close to the original warranty as possible. It does not need to be purchased right away but the price goes up if you want to buy it later. I think what costs ~ $3,500 at the time of the vehicle purchase costs around $7K when the vehicle's warranty is about to expire. I purchased the ex. warranty at the time of the vehicle purchase for $3,500. I also think that selling the vehicle might be easier if it does carry the extended warranty - but that we will see in few years as the repair record of the RRE builds up
26-02-2012 06:48pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

Don't know about US warranties but many here are insurance based and there's a long list of exclusions so that anything which is remotely connected to wear and tear is only partially covered, if at all. It goes without saying the car has to be maintained according to the manufacturer's specifications.

I only cover myself for the biggest risks in life or when insurance is mandatory. For the rest it stands to reason that even if I am slightly more unlucky than average, I will still be ahead. Far better to put the money aside whether it's travel, medical, dental, appliance and all the rest and effectively self-insure. If you do take out the warranty, you may sleep easy at first but may well then have sleepiness nights over the money you've wasted on it.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
04-03-2012 09:34am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Couldn't agree more mark. I used to pay extra warranty cover on my Defender. For 7 years I paid it and nothing ever went wrong, I kept the car serviced annually (it doesn't cover enough miles in a year to meet LR's miles related service interval) and nothing EVER goes wrong with it. The extra warranty cover was costing £350 a year, to date I have have only had to replace the chassis which wouldn't have been covered by the policy and it cost £1100, well and truly covered by the money saved not paying for the extra warranty. On my last RRS the front suspension bushes worn out in 12 months, while the car was in warranty it was covered but they were considered normal wear and tear under the extended warranty plan!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
04-03-2012 09:48am