Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Exhaust or oily smell in the cabin
PhiliusM

Exhaust or oily smell in the cabin

Hi,

I have just bought a 3rd hand Si4 Evoque Coupe. 12,000 miles

I have noticed an oily or exhaust smell in the cabin when starting following a brief stop of about an hour. It's happened a couple of times. Has anyone got any ideas please?

The car may have been on the dealers forecourt for a while.

Incidentally MPG around 28. Not too bad, but I am used to a 3.0L V6 Mercedes SLK which averaged 29 MPG unless you booted it.

Thanks,

Phil M
(This post was last modified: 23-05-2013 10:12pm by PhiliusM.)
23-05-2013 10:12pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RRSteve

RE: Exhaust or oily smell in the cabin

Could the dealer have sprayed the underneath with some form of protective coating and it's burning off the exhaust?
(This post was last modified: 24-05-2013 12:18am by RRSteve.)
24-05-2013 12:18am
PhiliusM

Could be something like that. Or maybe someone sploshed some oil around when it was serviced.
24-05-2013 04:45am
PhiliusM

Had a look under the car today. The dealer had it up un the ramp and let me have a look around underneath. Everything is oil and leak free. Little bit of mud to clean off but that's it.

I'm still none the wiser as to what is causing the smell.
24-05-2013 01:56pm
jjgray

(24-05-2013 01:56pm)PhiliusM Wrote:  I'm still none the wiser as to what is causing the smell.

Sounds familiar. Have a look at the thread "Evoque Fire". My experience was traced to a leaky "spill-of pipe" in the fuel injectors, leading to a mist of diesel landing on the hot manifold. There was a very long wait for the spare part but problem's fixed in my case, though I still get worried now when I smell the hot leather on a warm day.

I am still baffled why the dealers are not being warned to investigate this when fuel smells are reported.
(This post was last modified: 28-05-2013 01:25pm by jjgray.)
28-05-2013 01:23pm
cjfp

3rd hand - 12000 miles - maybe you've found out why its changed hands so quickly ?!

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
28-05-2013 01:57pm
lynx

I had this problem a few weeks back, like a burnt smell after driving it for about 10 min or more , turned out to be a faulty "cooling tank" and some of it dripped out on the exhaust and made the smell, so they exchanged it on warranty and now all is fine!
was also headed up with 2 low cooling alarms..but I filled up and did not think much of it..but after smell started I left it to the RR mech to fix.

worth a check?

TD4 5 door Pure automatic,Fuji White,Black interior,Tech pack, heated seats and stearing wheel,keyless entry,park sensors,panoramic roof,adaptive xenon headlamps,19" Wheels type,power rear and lovin every minute of it! Ordered March 10 2012, delivered March 30 2012!
28-05-2013 02:55pm
jjgray

Hmmm you can probably ignore my "Evoque Fire" idea: just noticed you're in the petrol model which will have a different fuel system altogether.

Still, Lynx sounds right - something must be leaking onto hot parts. Good luck getting it sorted.

John
30-05-2013 12:30am
PhiliusM

After a bit more checking, it's an exhaust smell. Somehow it is pulled into the cabin at startup and disappears within 15 seconds. I think there must be some sort of leak up front that is causing it. Back to the dealership today if I have time.
30-05-2013 06:12am
PhilSkill

If the rear tail gate is not sealed it can be drawn back into the cabin from the rear. It's fairly easy on a ramp to know if the exhaust is leaking and it would likely leak all the time. Unless there is some form of pop off valve on the turbo or somewhere that is releasing exhaust on cranking.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
30-05-2013 02:10pm