Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Evoque Going Going!
Tony

Evoque Going Going!

Time has come to say goodby to the Evoque and LR ownership for a few years, after many months of looking for the right spec car we have, this afternoon put a deposit on a very nice fully loaded F Type V6S, same age and similar miles to our Evoque and hopefully its already taken the biggest depriciation hit.

Had an F Type demo out for half a day early last December and it was totally addictive, nothing we have looked at since has given the same buzz. Even the wife has taken a real interest, normally she is not bothered so long as we have a decent car but the F has got her smitten.

This was a big step as I took early retirement, so this is coming out of our savings. Wrong time of the year to sell a 4x4 and buy an open top, getting a decent price to change was difficult - dealerships overloaded with used Evoques etc. etc. We have done a px deal but will try and sell it privately before Thursday next week, so we don't get totally fleeced by the dealer.

Plan to run the F Type for 2 years or so, we did manage to get 36 month full Jaguar waranty on the deal, then we will go back to something sensible with a boot and 4 wheel drive. If LR prices keep rising we will have to look at Kia etc.

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2015 11:04pm by Tony.)
07-04-2015 06:02pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Evoque Going Going!

Tony, hope that everything goes well with the sale and purchase. Of all my previous Land Rover products I'm sorry to say my now departed 2014MY Evoque will be remembered as by far the worst car I have ever owned - even a Volvo 480ES that could not get further south down the M6 than Lancaster was better built even though it drowned its electronics every time we got heavy rain............ and they had a terrible reputation! The RRS2 is back on the right track, feels like a Range Rover should - solid and well assembled and there isn't a rattle in earshot, the 8 speed gearbox works faultlessly and almost imperceptably. It's problem, like Evoques, is that it is still way too expensive, but at least it feels like quality and I love it way more than the last Evoque!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2015 08:01pm by XFullFatTim.)
07-04-2015 07:59pm
Tony

(07-04-2015 07:59pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Tony, hope that everything goes well with the sale and purchase. Of all my previous Land Rover products I'm sorry to say my now departed 2014MY Evoque will be remembered as by far the worst car I have ever owned - even a Volvo 480ES that could not get further south down the M6 than Lancaster was better built even though it drowned its electronics every time we got heavy rain............ and they had a terrible reputation! The RRS2 is back on the right track, feels like a Range Rover should - solid and well assembled and there isn't a rattle in earshot, the 8 speed gearbox works faultlessly and almost imperceptably. It's problem, like Evoques, is that it is still way too expensive, but at least it feel quality and I love it way more than the last Evoque!

Thanks Tim,

We are having to travel right down to London to do the swap, really hope its worth it, I am about to have a very stiff drink, we have just booked all the hotels for the journey and the costs are mounting.

In a way I will be sorry to see the Evoque go, since the last gearbox update it has been really good but we made the classic mistake of buying a second Evoque instead of moving up. I have been itching to have another proper sports car since selling the Cobra 11 years ago, its just that the F Type will also be our daily driver as well.

A good friend got struck down with a serious heart condition last year, from doing regular hill walks he now can't get from one room to another without help. He said just do it, whatever it costs, you will only regret it if you don't.

My real worry is what the F Type will be worth in another two years and will it get me into a decent car - Darcia - here we come!

I would not say now that our second Evoque was our worst car but the most disappointing, we had hoped after three years of production the product would have improved but no. Also it just cannot match the refinement of the bigger RRs. Its fun to drive up here with twisty roads and no traffic but really needs a bigger V6 engine - major design flaw and lack of fore thought not to allow enough space for such an upgrade.

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2015 11:01pm by Tony.)
07-04-2015 08:15pm
J77

You've had your fair share of problems with the Evoque. I had hoped that the Evoque would've improved over the model years but that doesn't seem the case. I'm pleased to say that the DS fairs better, the car feels solid no creaks or rattles, well one squeak from the rear seat which it's going in for next week. Also no horror stories so far about the auto box.

Enjoy the F-Type, it's a nice looking motor, I'm not a sports car type, but thats the one I would have.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
07-04-2015 08:47pm
Evo-king

Tony.

Good luck with the F-type. As many people say YOLO. Enjoy life while you can.

You make a fair point re depreciation as Jags don't seem to be doing too well in that respect.

Something I am contemplating with the upcoming F-Pace. The Evoque has held the resale price quite well.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
07-04-2015 08:52pm
heronb

Fantastic car, would be my first choice if the pennies add up (which they didn't on this occasion Sad)
07-04-2015 09:31pm
scrannel

(07-04-2015 09:31pm)heronb Wrote:  Fantastic car, would be my first choice if the pennies add up (which they didn't on this occasion Sad)

Been looking at F-Types (my dealer does LR & Jag), but disappointed to find they do not come with MagneRide. At least not in the states.

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
07-04-2015 10:07pm
Tony

(07-04-2015 10:07pm)scrannel Wrote:  Been looking at F-Types (my dealer does LR & Jag), but disappointed to find they do not come with MagneRide. At least not in the states.

In the UK the V6S and V8S models do come with the Dynamic suspension, the standard 340bhp V6 makes do with standard spring/dampers. The S models have a three way traction control, Standard, Dynamic - which sharpens everything up like the Evoque and a Snow/Rain mode which softens everything down.

We have gone for a V6S which also has the LSD, the prospect of going from 14 years of 4WD LRs down to basically 1WD in slippery conditions was too much. However if it snows bad I can take the bus, its free up here if you are 60.

07-04-2015 10:51pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Just imagine the fun on the Skye roads in the weather we have been having of late too! You cannot do that in an Evoque yet - get the wind in your hair.

Where are you picking up the F type from then Tony - I know you are another 250 miles further north than me but I do home to Lancaster, then overnight in either the premier Inn or Holiday Inn Express (both half a mile off the M6) leave Lancaster around 09:30/ 10 and will be in west London around 2pm and stay at the Hanger Lane Premier Inn which is beside the A40 for a quick escape the next day in a new car! Lookers park royal is 10 minutes walk away too, Grange Garage is 20 minutes drive round the North Circular.................. no hotels are cheap these days, especially London or inside the M25, they almost need a mortgage! Unless it is winter and dark early I do London to Stirling in one hit usually - 7-8 hours taking the M40/M6 route rather than the M1 as there are interminable miles of road works between Brum and Luton at the moment where they are widening the M1...... and the scenery off the M40 is more attractive!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2015 11:15pm by XFullFatTim.)
07-04-2015 11:12pm
Tony

(07-04-2015 11:12pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Just imagine the fun on the Skye roads in the weather we have been having of late too! You cannot do that in an Evoque yet - get the wind in your hair.

Where are you picking up the F type from then Tony - I know you are another 250 miles further north than me but I do home to Lancaster, then overnight in either the premier Inn or Holiday Inn Express (both half a mile off the M6) leave Lancaster around 09:30/ 10 and will be in west London around 2pm and stay at the Hanger Lane Premier Inn which is beside the A40 for a quick escape the next day in a new car! Lookers park royal is 10 minutes walk away too, Grange Garage is 20 minutes drive round the North Circular.................. no hotels are cheap these days, especially London or inside the M25, they almost need a mortgage! Unless it is winter and dark early I do London to Stirling in one hit usually - 7-8 hours taking the M40/M6 route rather than the M1 as there are interminable miles of road works between Brum and Luton at the moment where they are widening the M1...... and the scenery off the M40 is more attractive!

Hi Tim,

We are driving down to MK for an overnight stop, we used to live in Rugby and that was just over 10 hours, so MK is about 11. Next day (Saturday) early into central London and then back up to the Lake District for two nights and then back home. Central Lakes to home is about 7.5 hours. We both share the driving so no problems.

Did not get more than a few hours sleep last night, very mixed feelings at the moment, excitement at the prospect of owning what I am sure will be in the fullness of time become one of Jaguar's iconic sports cars. Then the panic, oh sxxt! what have I done, I'm retired, I should be driving a 'sensible' car with a green eco-somthing badge on the back.

08-04-2015 08:50am