Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Engine noise from Cold Start
PhilSkill

RE: Engine noise from Cold Start

I had something like this breifly once when it was -5° and hadn't been used for a few days, but didn't last anywhere near as long and once reved up a few times was gone, otherwise it's been normal diesel rattle without any of that high pitch squeal noise.

Think you've chosen the best option leave it with them, as they need to leave it outside while the weather still cold.

Interesting on the cover cjfp, but can't image how the cover can cause the squeal though, it's more like a pump bearing or belt sound...?

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
27-04-2012 01:18pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

Dunno either but that's very like how mine sounded and it did go when I fiddled - however, whether my fiddling was actually the cure is anyones guess.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
27-04-2012 01:24pm
PhilSkill

Yeah funny how those noises travel too, remember thinking a Camshaft or follower had gone on the Mazda as had horrendous rattling from the top end, turned out to be the accessory belt tensioner on the lower part of the engine, so often sounds worse than it is. Guess if the plastic cover vibrates enough against something hard can cause quite a din, especially if mounted with 3 points not 4, leaves a corner to flex maybe.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
27-04-2012 02:12pm
THEMACS

Sounds Goosed!!!!

Hope you get it sorted soon!

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
27-04-2012 08:48pm
scotski

Just wondering if the root of the problem was ever found and rectified by the dealership. My wife's Evoque intermittently makes an identical noise.
19-11-2012 10:45am
wavey.dave

Had this last week on my car. Lasted about 1 minute and then cleared up. Not had it since.

[Image: 143277.png]
19-11-2012 11:42am
gibbyd

Engine noise from Cold Start

Seems your alternator bearings are chirping because of water dripping in them. What is all that water on engine mount? You can see a trail dripping down to the front of your alternator.
19-11-2012 12:22pm
caseaddict

As previous message i can confirm that its a design fault as the vent on the bonnet is open and any water then drips on to the alternator/belt.

Farnell Leeds have covered my vent with gaffa tape and also did some work on it last week that seems to have sorted the problem.

Hope this helps
19-11-2012 03:56pm
Westy

I agree sounds terrible, but more likely as some of the others have said is water ingress into one of the belt tensioners.

Strangely enough mine made this noise two or three times when it was first new and I was really worried and disappointed, but fingers crossed with nearly 25000 miles has never done it again.

I put it down to a tensioner setlling down, I wasn't happy as the car was new but it cleared itself up. Hope you get yours sorted, I agree there should not be that much water around that mounting. Best of luck, keep us all posted.

One of the happy owners, ordered June 2011, delivered Wednesday 8th February 2012, now 97000 miles. Scorpions lasted 78'000 miles.

Pure TD4 5 door, fuji white, ebony interior, Pan roof, Front fogs, spare wheel, privacy glass, towbar and black roofrails.

Cars got to go back to company March 25th 2015 Sad
19-11-2012 05:36pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I had it this morning after a very damp night, had gone within 10 secs but sounded terrible at the time. I wonder if one of the auxy belts is prone to slipping a bit in damp conditions.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
19-11-2012 07:52pm