Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Engine block heater
PapaRod

Engine block heater

So, Sweden calling again. As our winter normally sees temps down to -30 (and even below) the question of an engine block heater. Word is that there are no elecrical ones (e.g. DEFA) available, so I thought I'd pop the question at the forum - anyone with info on this?

If not - is there anyone that retro-fitted a diesel heater (e.g. Ebersprächer or webasto)?

I understand this might not be the biggest issue on the contintent, but I assume some of you decided to go for a winter comfy car as well...Thud

Pure SD, Fuji, TechPack 1, Clearview, Auto, Privacy, Park assist - now with a towbar...Very Happy
10-09-2012 09:02pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Engine block heater

IIRC Pete Bell of forum sponsor BAS (Bell Auto Services) was working on a Webasto system for the Evoque

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
10-09-2012 11:32pm
RacingSnake

I thought there was a remote engine heater available in some markets?
and I did think it was a webasto system... using the diesel fuel on a minature burner to heat the engine coolant before starting the engine.
ok, yep;
Stock: LR031620
Name: ENGINE BLOCK HEATER
Description: Engine block heater for Evoque.
Also requires:
LR031621 - Installation hardware
LR031623 - Wiring kit

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2012 09:44am by RacingSnake.)
11-09-2012 09:37am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sarcastrix

... and a picture to go along with those part numbers:

[Image: 00010564f.jpg]

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
11-09-2012 01:09pm
PapaRod

Thx guys. Anyone of you that tried it?

Pure SD, Fuji, TechPack 1, Clearview, Auto, Privacy, Park assist - now with a towbar...Very Happy
11-09-2012 04:22pm
jojosr

Not yet, but is in order. In summer you can cool the interiour with it, in winter pre heat the car.
Suppose to get the car in couple of days, then I will let you know about the heater.

Ordered: 2.3.2012:
RRE Prestige SD4 AT, Barolo Black, Spirit/Macassar/Ivory/Espresso Oxford Leather Interiour, Black Pano roof, Privacy Glass, AUX Heating, Heated seats and Wheel, Tech pack.
Delivered: 19.9.2012
[Image: 151832.png]
11-09-2012 04:26pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

jojo, what you are talking about is Park Heat, Paparod wants the engine block heater, different thing. On Evoque the cabin heater is like an electric fire in your house, it doesn't use engine heat, it is what is called a PTC heater, it's difficult to see how they can make it work when you can only run the radio for 10 minutes on the battery and a heater would take at least as much power. I suspect that the park heater is a separate deisel powered heater similar to the Webasto system that was standard in my FFRR

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2012 04:32pm by XFullFatTim.)
11-09-2012 04:31pm
PapaRod

(11-09-2012 04:31pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  jojo, what you are talking about is Park Heat, Paparod wants the engine block heater, different thing. On Evoque the cabin heater is like an electric fire in your house, it doesn't use engine heat, it is what is called a PTC heater, it's difficult to see how they can make it work when you can only run the radio for 10 minutes on the battery and a heater would take at least as much power. I suspect that the park heater is a separate deisel powered heater similar to the Webasto system that was standard in my FFRR

Agree, question though is if the Park Heater could do the job in -30C if the block heater cannot be found?
(11-09-2012 04:26pm)jojosr Wrote:  Not yet, but is in order. In summer you can cool the interiour with it, in winter pre heat the car.
Suppose to get the car in couple of days, then I will let you know about the heater.

Jojo - mind me asking what the quoted you on the park heater?

(This post was last modified: 11-09-2012 04:43pm by PapaRod.)
11-09-2012 04:42pm
jojosr

I think 1.600 EUR inc. tax

Ordered: 2.3.2012:
RRE Prestige SD4 AT, Barolo Black, Spirit/Macassar/Ivory/Espresso Oxford Leather Interiour, Black Pano roof, Privacy Glass, AUX Heating, Heated seats and Wheel, Tech pack.
Delivered: 19.9.2012
[Image: 151832.png]
11-09-2012 04:58pm
IKM

And if I remember from some very old posts, the LR Park Heater could only be fitted in LHD cars .... for some reason that escapes me just now.

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
11-09-2012 05:03pm