Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Auto Headlights Sensitvity
speary

Auto Headlights Sensitvity

Driving home last yesterday in bright sunshine at about 18:30, as i got into a built up area out of direct sunlight but full daylight my headlights came on. this was far too early. Nobody else had lights on.
Is it possible to adjust the level at which they come on. My Audi used to have that facility so it is possible.

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
27-03-2012 08:42am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
doug

RE: Auto Headlights Sensitvity

I feel the same. I think LR got some stick in the past for there auto lights being too slow to come on, now it's gone the other way.
It used to be half way though the Bell way tunnel before the lights came in in my Discovery, now there on if the sensor just sees a dark corner & yes the area around the sensor is clean.
The auto lights on my Tranist are some ware inbetween that, which works very well.
As for any adjustment, not seen it any ware.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
27-03-2012 08:56am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I would much prefer them to come on too early than too late, which as Doug says was the case with the system on older Land and Range Rover cars.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
27-03-2012 09:40am
WB
WB

Compared to my last BMW I think they come on too slowly - going into tunnels for example they seem to take a couple of seconds whereas the BMW was virtually instant.
27-03-2012 09:55am
speary

I find it puzzeling that they came on at all as it was still daylight. I wonder if the sensor decides on the difference in lighting level eg from bright sun into normal daylight shaded by buildings = big difference in light levels therefore the lights will turn on, as opposed to light levels falling below a set value and the lights coming on
I used to get something similar on my A4 Cab when going under trees in summer, the lights would come on, they seemed to fix that on the A5

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
27-03-2012 01:03pm
Daigriff

I don't use the auto lights for this reason...bit of a waste but seems daft that I'm driving with lights on in daylight...feel a right posy plonker!!!

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
27-03-2012 01:36pm
doug

(27-03-2012 01:36pm)Daigriff Wrote:  I don't use the auto lights for this reason...bit of a waste but seems daft that I'm driving with lights on in daylight...feel a right posy plonker!!!

we are all driving one of the most sort after cars in the world, dont think having are lights on in day time will make much difference Very Happy

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
27-03-2012 04:52pm
SiT

(27-03-2012 08:42am)speary Wrote:  Driving home last yesterday in bright sunshine at about 18:30, as i got into a built up area out of direct sunlight but full daylight my headlights came on. this was far too early. Nobody else had lights on.
Is it possible to adjust the level at which they come on. My Audi used to have that facility so it is possible.

I thought it was a Northern England setting that the dealers enabled, see its usually cloudy, dark and miserable but i noticed yesterday in actual bright sunlight at around 6pm the lights came on on auto.
27-03-2012 05:08pm
Claud

I actually prefer the way the lights come on earlier than most. I have had one issue though, in fog the lights will come on, however if the sun breaks through, the lights will go out so will the fogs, no issue with that. However I did not notice, drove into thick fog, flashing other drivers without headlights on, but neither did IShocked

I was lulled in a false sense of security that the the auto setting will keep the headlights on in fog, it does not, I will now switch to manual on setting for those conditions.

[Image: 118733.png]
2013 Discovery HSE Luxury Corris Grey
Sold - 2011 Evoque SD4 Prestige, Auto, Magnaride, Orkney Grey, Lux Pack, TPMS, Heated Steering Wheel
2010 Freelander SD4
1997 Defender 90 XD Wolf (ex Ghurkas)
1991 Defender County 110 V8
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance
27-03-2012 07:33pm
smayo

I currently drive an Insignia, and the saying goes that the headlights for these come on if it's a midsummer day, at mid-day, not a cloud in the sky and then you drive under a telegrah wire, they come on.
It annoys me that they come on when it's far too light.

Would it be that difficult to allow some adjustment? After all you can do this with the intermitent windscreen wiper.

Ordered 17/2/12 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Mauritius Blue, Pan roof, 20" style 6 (gloss black), Vortex, Ebony Headlining, Ent Pack, Heated St. Wheel, Homelink, Pr Glass, Auto Dim r.view mirror, spare wheel
27-03-2012 08:16pm