Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Driving in EU
mark_n

RE: Driving in EU

The French speed cameras don't seem to have any latitude at all. I was flashed doing 92 kph (as per my GPS) in a 90 limit.

You are right about Belgium being a building site - the queue of lorries and cars funnelling into a single lane from Ostend towards Antwerp last Friday had to be seen to be believed. Fortunately, I was heading in the other direction and my trusty TomTom with Live Traffic Info had rerouted me around a 45 minute 6 km queue coming in to Antwerp from the east.

I do admit Beligan beer and chocolate are good... and heaven for petrol heads is a place called Spa Francorchamps.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
28-05-2013 11:04am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tetstb

I drive back and forward between Scotland and Belgium quite often and in France you must have breathalizer and biggest one is do not under any circumstances use or have on display any form of radar detector. Hi viz, warning triangle, water for your windscreen washers as its a big fine to have an obstructed windscreen and in BE you must have a fire extinguisher but bulbs are recommended not mandatory.

Cheers

Bob

SD4 Auto Dynamic OG , Verve, Panoramic Roof, Chrome Shadow, 825w audio, Park Assist, Privacy Glass.

[Image: 123130.png]
28-05-2013 11:05am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I thought that the French had rescinded the requirement to carry a breathalizer recently. Regarding the radar detector even satnav's showing the location of
speed traps are also banned IIRC.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 28-05-2013 03:33pm by XFullFatTim.)
28-05-2013 03:32pm
mark_n

(28-05-2013 03:32pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I thought that the French had rescinded the requirement to carry a breathalizer recently. Regarding the radar detector even satnav's showing the location of
speed traps are also banned IIRC.

Yes, devices which pin point camera locations are banned. Those which highlight "danger zones" which might be 5 miles where speed cameras are deployed are deployed. They match the signs the French put up warning cameras are coming.

TomTom changed their functionality in France when the law came in.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
30-05-2013 06:22am
x-isle

I've never bothered with the breathalyser. It was a Law that was never going to stand.

As it currently stands, it's a legal requirement to carry one, but it's not enforceable. They have canned the enforcement indefinitely.

It'll soon become a silly by-law similar to that of a London Cabbie having to carry a bail of hay.

As for Belgium, yes, some of the roads are bad (no worse than the UK!) and the driving is, er, defensive to say the least, but it's a great place. Spent a lot of time in the Flemish region. (Vilvoorde, Grimbergen and Machelen). I miss going there! The biggest thing I miss though is a great meal on Rue des Bouchers in Brussels Old Town. Yum!

Craig Rogers

61 Orkney Grey (Black Pano Roof) Coupe Dynamic (Lux Pack)
07 Java Black Puma Defender 110 XS Station Wagon
(This post was last modified: 30-05-2013 08:57am by x-isle.)
30-05-2013 08:53am
chapmac

Driving in EU

(28-05-2013 09:32am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Also don't forget that traffic law violations anywhere in the EU can now be sent to your home address since all the police computers were linked up a couple of years ago.

My wife got stopped by the gendarmes travelling down to the South of France about 5 years ago doing 112mph (180kph) we had no idea what the penalty was going to be given that it would be a ban in the UK. A 90 euro fine and told to drive a bit more slowly and on our way. Does this mean it would get referred back to the UK for prosecution here?

ED4 Pure Tech in Santorini Black with privacy glass, panoramic roof, front fogs and anthractite headlining. Added 19" Style 3 wheels and dynamic grille
31-05-2013 06:55pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

As far as I know if you had gone to court and been prosecuted then the points would appear on your UK records now.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
01-06-2013 09:29am