Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Servicing Schedule
Tony's7

Servicing Schedule

I noticed today that my car needs it's first service in 20 day's. I assume the schedule is a specific mileage or 12 month's but not sure. I ask as my car only has 6k on the clock and sure that will be nowhere near the recommended mileage for a first service and in twenty days time I will of only owned the car for 11 month's.
27-10-2012 07:23pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Servicing Schedule

15,000 miles or 12 months whichever comes first is the service interval for the diesels - not sure if the petrol engine has an intermediate oil change or not. Land Rover doesn't (yet) do Audiesque 25000 mile interval services as most of the cars they make have rather most complex running gear than Audis and that also gets looked at. A Defender has 6000 mile services, but the intermediates are only a lubrication/
inspection service without an oil change.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 27-10-2012 08:21pm by XFullFatTim.)
27-10-2012 08:19pm
rchrdleigh

Service indicator will have been set when the PDI was done by the Dealer which may explain why it has come on after only 11 months of you owning the vehicle. Also if you have a diesel you will at some stage probably get a message saying "oil service due contact dealer" this is triggered by the number of DPF cycles and while it usually comes on after about 12 months it can vary and Dealers sometimes forget to reset it when doing a normal service.
27-10-2012 08:26pm
speary

The service interval is 16000 miles or 12 months for the diesel. This really annoys me because with modern oils and engineering it is not necessary to have a full service every 12 months, it should be mileage related like Audi and BMW. Tim, I agree that some of the RR running gear is more complex than some other cars but it is desingned to do the job so it should not need checking every 12 months. an Audi RS4 4wd is just as complex and more highly stressed and that doesnt need to go in every 12 months. My service costs for my last A5 over 50,000 miles and 4 years was £500. If I have to have my RRE done every year at a cost of £350 per service it will cost me £1400 over 4 years. Even 3 services will be £1050 which takes me into year 4.
These cars are not Defenders or Merc G wagons, they are likely to get the same use as an Audi Q3/5, BMW X3/X5 so where is the justification.
This is scaremongering and a rip off Evil

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
29-10-2012 10:01am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

LR used to have "use" based servicing under BMW ownership, Ford changed that back to time based and now all the diesel engines in the range are Ford/PSA engines, so it is Ford/PSA servicing intervals. If you don't want to have your car serviced at annual intervals then you don't need to, however if you want to maintain the 3 year warranty................ LR makes the rules not the buyers.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
29-10-2012 10:17am
speary

(29-10-2012 10:17am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  LR used to have "use" based servicing under BMW ownership, Ford changed that back to time based and now all the diesel engines in the range are Ford/PSA engines, so it is Ford/PSA servicing intervals. If you don't want to have your car serviced at annual intervals then you don't need to, however if you want to maintain the 3 year warranty................ LR makes the rules not the buyers.

I will be keeping my warranty intact. It just seems unncessary to me and the cynical side of me says its just a way of making more money from owners. My other side says they like to see owners every 12 months so we can have a catchup over coffee and talk about how great the Evoque is. They will still want the debit card after the coffee though

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
29-10-2012 01:43pm