Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
Dealer Damage
ogpurestyle

Dealer Damage

Whilst in the dealer for its second service my Evoque has suffered damage to the offside rear wheel arch of the bumper panel. The damage is mainly paint removal and a few scratches in that composite panel, approx 5 inches long by a quarter of an inch just on the rear of the wheel arch.

The dealer advised me of the problem straight away when I arrived to pick up the car and accidents can happen but what do other members feel is acceptable recompense for an incident of this nature?

The car has only done 14k in two years and has no other bodywork damage except for a couple of small stone chips on the bonnet so I am obviously very disappointed.

Also the dealer has advised that the repair will be flawless and not noticeable, in other members experience is this the case with repairs of this nature?
28-03-2014 09:04pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MarkA_

Dealer Damage

Are they going to do a smart repair (like chipsaway)?

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
28-03-2014 09:40pm
ogpurestyle

RE: Dealer Damage

(28-03-2014 09:40pm)MarkA_ Wrote:  Are they going to do a smart repair (like chipsaway)?

No, I am told that the car will be going into the paintshop and they will have the car for two days in order to do a "proper" repair.
28-03-2014 09:53pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

You are lucky that they admitted to doing it, many wouldn't. If they have their own LR approved body shop and don't farm the job out you should be OK. I have had two lots of bodywork damage repaired by my local dealer and you couldn't see where they did it it was so well blended in. I have also used Chipsaway on a very hard colour to match - Giverny Green - and the local franchise did a perfect job of the match.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
28-03-2014 10:12pm
ogpurestyle

(28-03-2014 10:12pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  You are lucky that they admitted to doing it, many wouldn't. If they have their own LR approved body shop and don't farm the job out you should be OK. I have had two lots of bodywork damage repaired by my local dealer and you couldn't see where they did it it was so well blended in. I have also used Chipsaway on a very hard colour to match - Giverny Green - and the local franchise did a perfect job of the match.

Thanks for the comments..provides some confidence in the ability to provide the flawless finish promised....the Bodyshop is their own LR approved and on site so that does at least provide some comfort re the standard of repair and yes I agree that it was good that they admitted to it, although their policy is to check the cars when they are dropped of with the customer. Obviously this check is normally for their benefit but did at least mean there was no argument regarding where and when the damage had occurred.
28-03-2014 10:23pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The thing is it may not have been their staff but another client who did it, but they have a duty of care to your car while it is in for servicing or any work. Whenever my cars have been into Lookers Park Royal for servicing their receptionist came with me at checking in time and we did a full condition inspection before she took the keys off me

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
28-03-2014 10:39pm
ogpurestyle

(28-03-2014 10:39pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  The thing is it may not have been their staff but another client who did it, but they have a duty of care to your car while it is in for servicing or any work. Whenever my cars have been into Lookers Park Royal for servicing their receptionist came with me at checking in time and we did a full condition inspection before she took the keys off me

Understood and yep same practice at this dealer....check the condition with the customer prior to taking the keys. The same service representative who checked the car with me in the morning checked it again before I arrived to pick it up when the service was complete and therefore was able to advise me immediately I arrived of the problem.
28-03-2014 10:50pm
Redrob

Approx 5-6 years ago I dropped our IS300 Lexus at the dealers for a service, when collecting it the following day I noticed a 6" scratch just above the rear wheel.
Went back into reception to inform them and was told "it was like that when you dropped it off"
I asked to see the CCTV footage and was told that because it ran on a loop, they didn't have it.
Whilst showing the manager the damage, the receptionist came out with the check form showing the damage to the car, which wasn't signed by me.
She then said that she came out to check it 2 minutes after I had dropped it off, she said (in front of the manager) I remember it well, it was parked exactly where it is now"
to which I replied that I had actually dropped it off in the other car park.
They then agreed to go halves on the approx £1200 repair bill, and they were told very politely where to go!
To cut a long story short, I had the repair done free of charge but it took approx 3 weeks of threats and talking to head office before it was all sorted!

And even then they didn't admit anything, they just said it was a gesture of goodwill.

MY13 Dynamic coupe Orkney Pano Power tailgate DTRL's etc......soon to be
MY14 Dynamic 5 door Orkney Pano Power tailgate DTRL's etc......soon to be
MY15 Dynamic Lux Fuji White Pano Power tailgate DTRL's etc.
(This post was last modified: 29-03-2014 12:53am by Redrob.)
29-03-2014 12:51am
mark_n

Yes, hats off to the dealer for coming clean. The wheel arch trim is easily replaced with new and I expect the paintwork will be fine.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
29-03-2014 03:25am
ogpurestyle

Thanks for the comments, the forum is definately useful to get objective perspective in circumstances such as this.
29-03-2014 08:18am