Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Charging my battery
Onebigjobby

charging my battery

Hi all

I have a battery charger and would like to charge my battery due to the low battery warning i keep getting.
My question's are, not being mechanically minded -

Can i just attach the charger to the battery without disconnecting the battery leads from the car ie charge the battery in situ for a few hours to top it up?
I read there is a battery monitor on the negative lead will this be a problem?
many thanks
Onebigjobby Smile
22-02-2013 08:20am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Onebigjobby

Charging my battery

Hi all

I have a battery charger and would like to charge my battery due to the low battery warning i keep getting.

1.Can i just attach the charger to the battery without disconnecting the battery leads from the car ie charge the battery in situ for a few hours to top it up?
2.I read there is a battery monitor on the negative lead will this be a problem?
3.Also Ive had the dredded battery warning for some time now LRA have looked at it changed some settings but obviously this did nothing, so is it worth me buying one of these AGM batteries, will it solve this problem?
many thanks
Onebigjobby Smile
(This post was last modified: 22-02-2013 08:34am by Onebigjobby.)
22-02-2013 08:30am
speary

RE: Charging my battery

I believe that there is a software update to fix this. There is lots about this on the forum

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
22-02-2013 09:12am
Onebigjobby

(22-02-2013 09:12am)speary Wrote:  I believe that there is a software update to fix this. There is lots about this on the forum

Had my first service a couple of months ago, also had LRA out, nothing seems to have changed. Give up a bit on LR, i would still like to know the answer to my questions as i think self help is going to be the answer Smile
22-02-2013 09:26am
scrannel

OK, was getting the "3 min warning" on my two week old car. Brought it to dealer. He asked if I got the "recall notice"; I did not. Cool. Checks car -- it already has the recall software upgrade (new enough cars apparently do). They load test my battery and it fails. They give me a new battery. 45 min total.

While there, notice they had Prestige on the showroom floor which gets plenty of customer traffic. They have a trickle charger connected to "jump start points" (+ pole on battery and - jump point shown in manual). So, it seems that you can. And you do not have to use the - lead.

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
22-02-2013 10:25am
Onebigjobby

Bit of an update
Just phoned LR they say there is no recall notice or software update, my car is a Nov 2011 model.
gotta take it in for a check next Wed.
Is there a software update number or recall notice number i can quote them?
Tnx again
Onebigjobby
22-02-2013 10:43am
Donny Dog

(22-02-2013 08:30am)Onebigjobby Wrote:  Hi all

1.Can i just attach the charger to the battery without disconnecting the battery leads from the car ie charge the battery in situ for a few hours to top it up?
2.I read there is a battery monitor on the negative lead will this be a problem?
3.Also Ive had the dredded battery warning for some time now LRA have looked at it changed some settings but obviously this did nothing, so is it worth me buying one of these AGM batteries, will it solve this problem?
many thanks
Onebigjobby Smile

I charge our Evoque with the battery remaining connected with no problems, leaving it unattended for weeks at a time. I have permanently connected leads direct to both terminals, with a small female coupler outside the battery box to facilitate easy charging by simply plugging in the male plug which comes with the charger. I use a CTEK 'intelligent' charger, which comes complete with the leads described above as well as conventional crocodile clips.

My only provisos would be (a) make sure you get a charger suited to your battery capacity and (b) use an 'intelligent' charger which stops charging your battery when charging is complete, then 'float' charges it thereafter.
22-02-2013 10:55am
scrannel

I'm sure someone on this forum will be able to tell you how to check your current software etc. But from what I have read on a couple of forums there is an update which -- again apparently -- tells the "smart" alternator to charge the battery a bit more.

When you say you called LR, dealer or the actual factory rep? I trust my dealer so when I ask them a question I know they're not going to just say something to get me off the phone. But when you take it in have them "load test" your battery.

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
22-02-2013 10:58am
Donny Dog

RE: charging my battery

(22-02-2013 08:20am)Onebigjobby Wrote:  Hi all

Can i just attach the charger to the battery without disconnecting the battery leads from the car ie charge the battery in situ for a few hours to top it up?
I read there is a battery monitor on the negative lead will this be a problem?
many thanks
Onebigjobby Smile

I have replied to this question in your other thread.
22-02-2013 10:59am
Onebigjobby

RE: charging my battery

(22-02-2013 10:59am)Donny Dog Wrote:  I have replied to this question in your other thread.

deleted other thread
22-02-2013 11:59am