Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Buying Wheels from Ebay
AOliver

Buying Wheels from Ebay

I have a Pure with lots of extra's on order and was originally planning on getting the 20in Style 6 wheels but now i have seen the black pack wheels, am planning on getting the car with standard wheels and buying the 20inch Style 9 black wheels from Ebay.

My Question is why would anyone be selling these wheels on Ebay?!
The only way to get these wheels is with the black pack on a Dynamic or by paying £2,350 as a dealer extra.
The adds all look a bit dodgy with similar photos being used on multiple adverts and them all offering lower prices for cash on collection, one set also looked hand painted!

I'm not really an Ebay user as i've always thought that everything on there is either broken or stolen, am I worrying needlessly or am i right to be concerned?

Thanks in advance....

Arriving Mid May 2014 - SD4 Pure Auto, Fuji White, Black Panoramic Roof & Mirrors, Privacy Glass, 20in Alloys, Xenon & Fogs, Electric Tailgate, Ebony Interior & Headliner, Piano Black Facia, HDD, Memory Seats & Mirrors
25-03-2014 12:46pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Red FR

RE: Buying Wheels from Ebay

Bought on ebay from an actual tyre and alloy company no problems all as advertised.

Gone but not forgotten Fuji White Coupe Pure Tech SD4 manual, Panoramic roof, privacy glass, fog lamps and spare wheel.
25-03-2014 01:15pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

You could also try asking our forum sponsors Hadley Green Land Rover or Duckworths if they can do a deal for you.
One problem with buying Land Rover alloys from eBay is often they are counterfeits and are not strong enough for the weight of the vehicle. Land Rover OEM wheels are expensive but your life may depend on them. Having said that many Land Rover dealers like Duckworths have eBay stores so if you can be certain the seller is genuine then go for them.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 25-03-2014 01:46pm by XFullFatTim.)
25-03-2014 01:42pm
PhilSkill

You certainly need to be careful, I have purchased thru e-bay but the advert was from a Dealership (wheels removed from a delivery vehicle), picked them up myself so I could be sure they were Genuine and undamaged before paying.

If nothing else, Be sure what you are buying, contact the seller before bidding with the send messgae facility to check they respond as you'd like and check that the seller ratings are high and... anything that sounds dodgy, (like a picture that looks hand painted)... probably is.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
25-03-2014 01:56pm
speary

In general if it sounds too good to be true then it will be dodgy
Use common sense and you should be ok

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
25-03-2014 02:02pm
AOliver

Thanks for all the replies.
I ruled out the ones that were grey on the inside when the seller told me that they were originally black, clearly not.

I have found some that look good but how do I tell if they are genuine? They are 'stamped' with the landrover mark but is that enough?

Arriving Mid May 2014 - SD4 Pure Auto, Fuji White, Black Panoramic Roof & Mirrors, Privacy Glass, 20in Alloys, Xenon & Fogs, Electric Tailgate, Ebony Interior & Headliner, Piano Black Facia, HDD, Memory Seats & Mirrors
(This post was last modified: 25-03-2014 08:25pm by AOliver.)
25-03-2014 02:18pm
PhilSkill

Pictures look genuine, the seller has a lot of feedback, seems to sell a lot of Land Rover wheels, and it's an expected price too.

There's a phone number at the bottom of the ad, if you have any concerns ask them what the history of the wheels are, and whether they'll accept returns or Payment on collection so you can inspect them first.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
25-03-2014 02:59pm
AOliver

(25-03-2014 01:42pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  You could also try asking our forum sponsors Hadley Green Land Rover or Duckworths if they can do a deal for you.
One problem with buying Land Rover alloys from eBay is often they are counterfeits and are not strong enough for the weight of the vehicle. Land Rover OEM wheels are expensive but your life may depend on them. Having said that many Land Rover dealers like Duckworths have eBay stores so if you can be certain the seller is genuine then go for them.

Was thinking about ringing Duckworths but standard retail is £2,350 without tyres, Duckworths quote £2,346 including 15% discount, not sure if that includes tyres or not but its still a lot more than these ones which are only £1,350 with tyres.

(25-03-2014 02:59pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Pictures look genuine, the seller has a lot of feedback, seems to sell a lot of Land Rover wheels, and it's an expected price too.

There's a phone number at the bottom of the ad, if you have any concerns ask them what the history of the wheels are, and whether they'll accept returns or Payment on collection so you can inspect them first.

Yes they looked genuine to me too, already called to question why they were being sold but the response was a bit vague!
Also somewhat suspicious of other sellers using the same photos, I was told that they had stolen his photos!
Have arranged for him to deliver them this week so hopefully they will be the same as the ones in his photos.

Apart from the Landrover stamp on the inside of the wheel, are there any telltale signs of whether wheels are genuine or not?
Also is there any easy way of checking if a wheel is buckled - apart from having it balanced?!

(This post was last modified: 25-03-2014 08:24pm by AOliver.)
25-03-2014 07:53pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Is it a stamp or cast LR Logo? IIRC OEM's have cast in logo

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
25-03-2014 08:56pm
AOliver

(25-03-2014 08:56pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Is it a stamp or cast LR Logo? IIRC OEM's have cast in logo

Indented i think, so is that cast?

[Image: $_12.JPG]

25-03-2014 09:18pm