Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Buyer's Remorse, Consolation Sought!
ABCRacer

Hello Everyone,

So I recently closed on purchasing an Evoque in Prestige trim with tan interior/style 7 wheels. The main purpose was to trade my wife's 2004 Lexus RX330 before it declined further in value and to surprise her for her upcoming 40th birthday. I preordered in March 2012 and it arrived early in May, a whole two weeks before it was promised in June. So my ultimate goal was reached.

However, I have alot of past experience in negotiating purchases for new/used cars but i am not totally satisfied as the dealer wouldn't budge more than $1000 off the MSRP. I am used to at least getting the purchase price down a few thousand dollars. I even wanted the dealer to take off the style 7 wheels which added $2000 on the sticker. I'd like to poll the other Evoque owners here if my expectations were too high, got about what was right, or worse, got ripped off.

Other than that, the dealership personnel has been great and they are cooperating with my surprise gift. In the meantime, I just can't shake off this feeling that I could have gotten better with the purchase price or I've been had by them. Thanks for any comments and advice!

-Jon H
30-05-2012 05:21am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RacingSnake

RE: Buyer's Remorse, Consolation Sought!

Hi Jon,
to be blunt, you did well to get any discount off the price (which was more than likely leveraged using your trade in car).
In the grand scheme of things and the overall price of the vehicle, I'm not sure basing ownership experience (or buyers remorse) on the amount of discount you didn't get is a good idea!!!! after all, a discount is just that, you should expect to pay full MSRP and anything off is a bonus.
I know certainly in the UK, there is no movement in price... at all!

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
30-05-2012 05:44am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ABCRacer

Thank you RS for your reply. I really appreciate your viewpoint as well as your candor.

-Jon
30-05-2012 06:17am
QUEEVO

Agreed - my dealer was insistent that there was nothing on offer to sweeten the Evoque range... Great deals on anything else, but absolutely no room to move on the Evoque. He went on so much about it, he was almost apologising...

I too would say well done at this point...
Also - didn't the entire range increase in price only recently...?

regards,
Queevo
----------------------------------------------------------------------
MY12 TD4 Prestige Auto, Baltic Blue / Vibe, Tech, Surround Cameras, Fixed Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass
(This post was last modified: 30-05-2012 07:18am by QUEEVO.)
30-05-2012 07:18am
Straydox

The fact that your dealer wouldn't budge on discounts (few are) should mean that your car will hold it's value better so your pay-back will be when you next change...

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
30-05-2012 08:42am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

With a worldwide waiting list many months long why on earth would they want to give anybody a discount when they can sell every one built at list price. You would be really lucky to 1c off over this side of the Atlantic, dealers aren't even throwing in loads of freebies in Europe. In the home market we even have restricted sales just to let lucky folks overseas get theirs first!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
30-05-2012 08:42am
Neo

From my experience, dealers don't like trade-ins because they have to sell your old car with advertising costs and time to hold the vehicle. This means they will barely budge on the price of the new car. It happens with all the dealers and doesn't matter which car you are buying. That's why I sold my car privately which means 1. I get a better price for the car and 2. I can negotiate a better discount on the new car. For me, I bargained hard and got 10% off my vehicle and corporate servicing (3 years) included!

SD4 Dynamic, Fuji white 5 door
Pano roof, Adaptive Dynamics, style 7 wheels, auto tailgate, reverse camera, rear vents

Ordered: April 2012 | Built: June 2012 | Delivered: 14 August 2012
30-05-2012 08:59am
Jai

In Australia my Dynamic Sd4 came to $89,500 drive away with all my chosen options, gov't taxes etc etc. I managed to haggle it to $85k flat. My car has to be built in July for October delivery. Pretty happy they budged at all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
(30-05-2012 08:59am)Neo Wrote:  From my experience, dealers don't like trade-ins because they have to sell your old car with advertising costs and time to hold the vehicle. This means they will barely budge on the price of the new car. It happens with all the dealers and doesn't matter which car you are buying. That's why I sold my car privately which means 1. I get a better price for the car and 2. I can negotiate a better discount on the new car. For me, I bargained hard and got 10% off my vehicle and corporate servicing (3 years) included!

Wow good work, wish I saw this post earlier... I think I saw you are in oz... Could have put some business through your dealer Smile

(This post was last modified: 30-05-2012 12:07pm by Jai.)
30-05-2012 12:05pm
Neo

(30-05-2012 12:05pm)Jai Wrote:  In Australia my Dynamic Sd4 came to $89,500 drive away with all my chosen options, gov't taxes etc etc. I managed to haggle it to $85k flat. My car has to be built in July for October delivery. Pretty happy they budged at all!

Wow good work, wish I saw this post earlier... I think I saw you are in oz... Could have put some business through your dealer Smile

That's a good deal Jai. What is the specs on your car? Mine came in at $91k and they sold it to me for $81k which I was really happy about the price Smile

SD4 Dynamic, Fuji white 5 door
Pano roof, Adaptive Dynamics, style 7 wheels, auto tailgate, reverse camera, rear vents

Ordered: April 2012 | Built: June 2012 | Delivered: 14 August 2012
30-05-2012 01:40pm
QUEEVO

Good work Neo and Jai...!!! I really think that is amazing given my experience.

regards,
Queevo
----------------------------------------------------------------------
MY12 TD4 Prestige Auto, Baltic Blue / Vibe, Tech, Surround Cameras, Fixed Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass
30-05-2012 03:17pm