Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Bored of iPhone - anyone know if Windows Phone works?
Samson

RE: Bored of iPhone - anyone know if Windows Phone works?

(23-09-2012 09:32am)mark_n Wrote:  FWIW, I'm very pleased with my iPhone 5, though Apple do need to sort out the Maps App. Steve Jobs would be spitting tacks if he was still with us.

I am also very pleased with the 5. It was the most straight forward change I have ever had... just typed in my Apple ID and backed up from iCloud - all apps and settings transferred with no issues. That's what Apple is renowned for -great classic designs and seamless operation for the user... just like the Evoque perhaps Surprised. Even the number transfer with EE was simple. Definitely the fastest phone I have used. Siri takes some getting use to - still not there for me yet.

As for the Maps app, Apple had no choice but to 'dump' Google Maps - they wanted to be able to offer their customers voice navigation on Google Maps, but Google refused to provide it for the iOS, as they had spent a lot of money developing it for Android. I recall Google Maps was pretty poor when it came out as well. Sure Apple will resolve soon enough - they are in the process of hiring Google Maps employees to sort out!

Arrived: Prestige SD4 Auto 5-Door, Barolo Black, Couture Interior, Style 5 Wheels, Lux Pack, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Cornering Headlights w/ Auto Levelling, Privacy Glass, Heated Steering Wheel, Space Saver Spare Wheel, TPM System, Mud Flaps
27-09-2012 08:19pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RacingSnake

(27-09-2012 08:19pm)Samson Wrote:  Apple had no choice but to 'dump' Google Maps - they wanted to be able to offer their customers voice navigation on Google Maps, but Google refused to provide it for the iOS, as they had spent a lot of money developing it for Android. I recall Google Maps was pretty poor when it came out as well. Sure Apple will resolve soon enough - they are in the process of hiring Google Maps employees to sort out!
Er.... not about to start a debate, and you're very clearly an apple fan... but this just is not correct.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
27-09-2012 09:29pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Urban Splash

It's gonna take apple ages to sort the maps app..... No quick fix to their predicament....

Also, all of apples resources are coming up with the next 'big thing'.....yet another row of icons.....

Delivered: Evoque 5 door Prestige SD4 Auto 4WD, Orkney Grey, Fixed Panoramic Roof, Ivory Headliner, Vibe Interior, Spare wheel, 20" Chrome Shadow Style 7
27-09-2012 10:10pm
IKM

I'm so used to Apple products inc. the iphone that I'd be out of my comfort zone with an Android phone (especially after some dreadful early experiences with Nokia and HTC). I need to go on some sort of detox course to move away from Apple!

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
27-09-2012 10:21pm
Urban Splash

I agree, I have MacBook Pro, iPad, apple tv, but sick of iPhone. I'm gonna jump to windows phone now I know it plays nice with evoque. Nokia lumia 920 methinks.

Delivered: Evoque 5 door Prestige SD4 Auto 4WD, Orkney Grey, Fixed Panoramic Roof, Ivory Headliner, Vibe Interior, Spare wheel, 20" Chrome Shadow Style 7
27-09-2012 10:28pm
IKM

(27-09-2012 10:28pm)Urban Splash Wrote:  I agree, I have MacBook Pro, iPad, apple tv, but sick of iPhone. I'm gonna jump to windows phone now I know it plays nice with evoque. Nokia lumia 920 methinks.
Looking forward to hearing how you get on! It may yet convince me before I buy the 5!

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
27-09-2012 10:37pm
NightFox

My personal phone is an iPhone 5, and my work phone is a Nokia Lumia 800 running Windows Phone 7.5.

Despite really wanting to like WP, it's just not done it for me. There's nothing wrong with it at all, and most of the negative comments you'll read about it are clearly from people who've never even tried one. Unfortunately, whilst MS have done a very good job in making something a bit different from the iPhone/Android stream and even bringing a breath of originality, for me by being different it's also ended up a lesser user experience than the iPhone. I'm afraid I don't 'get it', it's as if one day I'm going to suddenly realise what it's all about, but the day hasn't come yet.

Horses for courses of course, and if you really want a break from iOS and want to try something new and different, then its worth a try - WP7.5 has certainly already got a lot of happy users and WP8 is another step up.

MY13 TD4 Pure Manual ~ Tech Pack ~ Mauritius Blue ~ Panoramic Roof ~ Adaptive Xenons ~ Park Assist ~ Keyless Entry ~ Reversing Camera ~ Powerfold Mirrors ~ Autodimming Mirror
Ordered 14/6/12 ~ Built 13/11/12 ~ Delivered 15/11/12 ~ Collected 20/11/12

[Image: 163643.png]
28-09-2012 08:35pm
Samson

(27-09-2012 09:29pm)RacingSnake Wrote:  Er.... not about to start a debate, and you're very clearly an apple fan... but this just is not correct.

I based my comments on a collection of news articles - should have made that clear. I am guessing you are a person in the know?
I am passionate about Apple in general - whilst their products are never perfect, they do IMHO make products that are intuitive, easy and fun to use. But I agree let's not start a debate... and leave this forum to be about the Evoque. I am looking forward to being as passionate about the Evoque as I am about Apple (once I get my hands on the car of course)!

Arrived: Prestige SD4 Auto 5-Door, Barolo Black, Couture Interior, Style 5 Wheels, Lux Pack, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Cornering Headlights w/ Auto Levelling, Privacy Glass, Heated Steering Wheel, Space Saver Spare Wheel, TPM System, Mud Flaps
28-09-2012 08:55pm
RacingSnake

I have no allegiance one way or the other, but I do have a number of contacts in the telco industry, having worked for the network developers for a number of years (although not any more).
But what does amuse me is the strong iOS versus Andriod debate, it just gets so emotive!
Apple were forced to do this did this because of Android, Android has done 'x' for years. I've seen it all but it still amuses me Very Happy

Me, well I'll buy what I want on it's own merits.... if the iphone does what I want better than an android or WP then I'll get it, if not, I won't. (I do already own 2 ipads an ipod and an old 3GS - which I replaced with a BB torch - which is due for replacement now. )

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
28-09-2012 09:19pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kkzt190

(23-09-2012 06:13pm)Wicksy Wrote:  I have the Lumia and it works with the Evoque seamlessly, Urban, no problems at allCool

The only real issue that I've found is that you cannot get the text to voice to work. It's a really nice fature and worked perfectly with my 7 year old Nokia bluetooth kit in my old car. It also works well with a new Jabra bluetooth kit.

Why it doesn't work with the car whcih presumably has more modern software is a mystery.

Firenze SD4 Dynamic (with AD) ordered Oct 2011, arrived Apr 2012
02-10-2012 06:18pm