Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Blind spot
agusta22

Blind spot

Greetings all,
Does the massive blind spot created by the mirrors bother anyone? Its becoming more obvious after 3 weeks of ownership especially when turning left and looking for pedestrian on the right hand side at intersections.

I have a left hand steering wheel 4 door. Imo RR should have lowered the mirror or gone convex for a smaller profile. What surprises me is they make these huge mirrors to satisfy DOT regulations but create a safety issue with the blind spot.

Other than that I love the car. i do have workman ships issues with the paint finish and weather seals (not flush), but those items i can live with.

2012 Dynamic
2010 GT3
Mini
[Image: flag.gif]
04-06-2012 03:10pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gorjan

RE: Blind spot

My wife also complained about this as she almost hit a pedestrian coming from the left side Sad

Colima Lime TD4 Pure.
Tech Pack, Pano roof, Auto....
04-06-2012 04:45pm
slee18

Hey Agusta,

the dot loves to create more problems to prevent certain problem. That is the cost of being safe or making stupid drivers safer. Cant fix stupid!

I dont have a problem with that but i sit further back so the mirror doesnt block me. But that just me. Kind of the like the rear view mirror. I dont use it because my Camaro has low visibility like the Evoque so i just count on my side mirrors. Good luck agusta on the paint

12 Evoque Si4 (US) Galway Green Prestige ivory expresso interior
04-06-2012 07:09pm
ED209

I pulled out on someone the other day, lucky he was alert, didnt see him at all! only reason i can think of was the bloody wing mirrror. I checked to my left twice and saw nothing. our lass nearly cacked herself!

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
04-06-2012 08:47pm
evoquemayne

Anyone with experience of it, does the Blind Spot Monitoring help?
04-06-2012 10:03pm
agusta22

(04-06-2012 10:03pm)evoquemayne Wrote:  Anyone with experience of it, does the Blind Spot Monitoring help?

The blind spot I am referring to is laterally and slightly fwd. I believe the BSM only detects an area aft of the mirror.

It will be an interesting statistic down the road of how many mishaps are caused by this….

2012 Dynamic
2010 GT3
Mini
[Image: flag.gif]
04-06-2012 10:15pm
Rootsboy

Blind spot

Yes I kind of have that feeling after I also did not see someone due the the mirrors

SD4 Prestige 5 Door Manual. Fuji White. 20" Style 6 Wheels. Vibe-Ebony Interior and Header. Panoramic Roof. AD. Privacy and Solar Attenuating Glass. Surround Camera, Heated Seats. Pollution Sensor. Rear Vents. 825W Sound and a Spare Wheel
04-06-2012 11:38pm
Straydox

I've found that having the seat raised a little enables me to see over the top of the mirror and that gets around the problem for the most part.

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
05-06-2012 12:11am
RREVO

The huge sizing and design of the mirrors is the biggest gripe I have in 2 months of RRE ownership.
Had to raise the seat height to see over/around the bloomin' things.
Be extra careful at junctions ladies & gents. Shocked

Dynamic Si4 Auto 5dr, Orkney Grey, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Powered open & close Tailgate, 20” Gloss black wheels
05-06-2012 10:14am
Cedric

(05-06-2012 12:11am)Straydox Wrote:  I've found that having the seat raised a little enables me to see over the top of the mirror and that gets around the problem for the most part.

Same here, on the downside, the rearview mirror in car obstructs some of the view. I try to be as careful as possible at intersections. It's not a car to blast through the city when you are in a hurry. Depending on the speed of the person coming from the left/right and your approach speed, it's possible that you never see them coming.
05-06-2012 02:24pm