Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bike Rack - rear mounted bike rack - will it pull off the spoiler?
QueJumper

Bike Rack - rear mounted bike rack - will it pull off the spoiler?

Anyone tried a rear mounted bike rack yet - will it pull off the spoiler!

Hi - I've checked out the tow bar options and really don't fancy it for two reasons-

1 - The LR version has a huge cut out and most others also seem to have some form of trim destruction

2 - Even if you get a removable option you still get a nasty 'electrics' plug stuck permenantly on your rear

Why LR didn't think this through and sort out a proper removable panel like Disco 4 is beyond me! Surely their market reasearch would have shown we'd want to tow or carry bikes?

Anyway - back to the bikes....as that's really all I need to do is carry a couple of bikes and not tow anyway. I had planned on using a tow ball mounted rack as we use on the Disco...but it looks like an Evoque towbar is just plain nasty.

Roof rails is another option I guess but I don't think they look right on the Coupe.

So, the third and final option (not going to put a muddy bike inside!) is to go for one of the clip on bike racks such as the Saris Bones - it looks quite stylish and the 'load step' on the Evoque would make a nice platform to take most of the weight but not sure if the top straps would pull off the Dynamic spoiler.

So has anyone tried using this sort of rack on an Evoque yet?

Sample image below:

Now Sold - Small, clean, fun car mainly for me - Sd4 Dynamic Lux - White/Black roof

Still going strong - Big, dirty, fun car mainly for the wife, kids and dog - Disco 4 - Blue (with lots of mud outside, sweets & litter inside)
13-04-2012 02:47pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChuckieB

RE: Bike Rack - rear mounted bike rack - will it pull off the spoiler?

I have a halfords rack with a not too dissimilar set up.

It is effectively a redundant piece of kit for me now. I didn't even think about risking it as the depth of the rear spoiler makes me very dubious. The loading of the top straps on spoiler would be excessive on what looks to be a relatively fragile pice of trim (I recall the thread on someone's spoiler being ripped off in a car wash).

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
13-04-2012 03:14pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I tried one of those on an RRS (the racks are called "Hollywood" racks for some reason) and succeeded in removing paint from the trailing edge of the spoiler and damaging the paint on top of it as the straps flap/ drum a bit when you are at speed. Even using padding where the straps go over the spoiler don't help reduce the paint wear.
So, forget the rear mount, high level bike rack if you treasure your spoiler's paintwork. The hole in the rear valance isn't that bad and it does have a finisher kit if you have the LR version, I agree though that an RRS/Disco4 system with a removable panel section would have been a better idea

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 13-04-2012 05:07pm by XFullFatTim.)
13-04-2012 04:09pm
ED209

I wouldnt dare try it, thats why i am looking at getting a tow bar fitted so i can get a rack that wont risk scratching or damaging the car.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
13-04-2012 04:48pm
penarthguy

Also thinking about a tow bar option due to the cost of the RR roof rack kit, was looking at this option http://www.car-roofracks.co.uk/xpress-pro-bike-rack.htm but not sure if it will block the reg plate and if it's a "cheap and cheerful" solution.
13-04-2012 06:15pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Penarth you would still need a lighting bar and trailer electrics for that bike rack as once you have 2 bikes on it the number plate and lights they would be obscured.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
13-04-2012 06:34pm