Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Will I need winter tyres????????
ceebee

Martin, it's because I have spent 32k on the car that I can't afford 4 tyres (lol)!!!!!!!

Waiting for: - 2015 SD4 Dynamic, LUX pack, Auto, 5 door. Mauritius Blue. Santorini Roof........spare wheel.
01-12-2011 12:29am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ceebee

So, maybe i will see how the Evoque performs with the standard tyres before making a decision.

I live on a hill that can be badly affected by snow and ice, so there can be no problems whatsoever half a mile away but my estate grinds to a halt. Unfortunately, being self- employed I don't have the luxury of being able to take a day off at short notice and working from home is not an option.

However, I do Agree that it should be 4 tyres if I do go for winters, so I appreciate the feedback.

I do know that it does not affect my insurance, so no worries there!

Waiting for: - 2015 SD4 Dynamic, LUX pack, Auto, 5 door. Mauritius Blue. Santorini Roof........spare wheel.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2011 08:47am by ceebee.)
01-12-2011 08:39am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Will I need winter tyres????????

CeeBee, it's a matter of choice - RRE doesn't NEED winter tyres but it will be better for having them. Try it without this winter and then see how you feel and buy a set in the spring for next winter when tyre dealers are trying to clear out their stock. The Grass Gravel and Snow setting of Terrain Response is very good in snow and the extra braking ability and grip available with winter tyres will only help it.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
01-12-2011 09:41am
Wicksy

(01-12-2011 08:39am)ceebee Wrote:  So, maybe i will see how the Evoque performs with the standard tyres before making a decision.

I live on a hill that can be badly affected by snow and ice, so there can be no problems whatsoever half a mile away but my estate grinds to a halt. Unfortunately, being self- employed I don't have the luxury of being able to take a day off at short notice and working from home is not an option.

However, I do Agree that it should be 4 tyres if I do go for winters, so I appreciate the feedback.

I do know that it does not affect my insurance, so no worries there!
Save your money Ceebee - as already mentioned, the Evoque should be even better in the snow than my Lexus 400h which breezed through last winter's conditions on summer tyres - a decent driver and an Evoque should manage very well in most conditions imho
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2011 10:44am by Wicksy.)
01-12-2011 10:43am
woodhouse

(29-11-2011 09:56pm)ceebee Wrote:  Some great advice, thanks guys.

I may think about buying a set of smaller wheels with winters on then swapping would be a lot easier. Did I read somewhere on this forum that freelander 2 wheels will go straight onto an Evoque?

I Just picked up a good used set of 4 Freelander 2 17" wheels on ebay for £100 then a set of 4 new winter tyres for £80 each so for less than £500 I am now legal for my trip to the alps (winter tyres are legal requirement in Austria after 1st Nov each year) Taken off the 20" wheels today an put the 17"s on, does not look as pretty but at least my fat wheels will be nice and shiny for the spring!
06-12-2011 06:31pm