Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Big Flaw in the Evoque
zippy

Big Flaw in the Evoque

Well it started on Saturday when my wife came home from shopping . I looked out the window and saw that she had a flat tyre. My wife did not know that it was flat and she did not feel it when driving. I looked at the tyre and the outside edges of the tyre had been worn away (all be it a little bit just to take the writing off) also as I pressed the tyre I could hear the air exiting the tyre. I found the slit in the tyre and tried to pump it up at home (I have a compressor) but the slit was too big to get any air in to the tyre. We do not have the space saver Evil So the car is stuck at home which is lucky I guess. We have the 20" alloys and after getting on the phone we cant get a tyre as nobody carries them as they are made of GOLD thats what you would think when you get the price. We were quoted £408.00 fitted from Kwik Fit or should I say Kiwk Ripoff this was with the so called 25% off. My point is now if the tyre has a slit not a slow puncture then you are totally screwed as the goo fix will not sort that out so you are stuck in your car no spare and no way of moving your car unless you get help from Land Rover Assist. I am waiting now for a tyre to be delivered as I found a Michelin for £198.00 which is a super price . Without the space saver you are in trouble so I so wish that I had ordered one now but did not .The Space saver tyre is a must and Land Rover should have put then in from new and not fitted tyres to the 20" alloys made from GOLD. Guess what I will be buying.
21-05-2012 04:37pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
J77

RE: Big Flaw in the Evoque

This is LR all over. All LRs that I have owned I have had trouble getting tyres, my dealer now has tyres in stock and they will match the cheapest price. Like yourself I didn't go with the spare, will keep an eye open one eBay for one.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
21-05-2012 04:43pm
cjfp

I agree that the above is a pain, but I don't think it's a flaw of the Evoque per se - lots of new cars come with gunk instead of a spare, but the option is there if you so wish. Gonna jinx myself now - I've not had a car tyre puncture in nearly 20 years so I'm happy to stick with gunk.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
21-05-2012 04:44pm
Donny Dog

(21-05-2012 04:37pm)zippy Wrote:  Well it started on Saturday when my wife came home from shopping . I looked out the window and saw that she had a flat tyre. My wife did not know that it was flat and she did not feel it when driving. I looked at the tyre and the outside edges of the tyre had been worn away (all be it a little bit just to take the writing off) also as I pressed the tyre I could hear the air exiting the tyre. I found the slit in the tyre and tried to pump it up at home (I have a compressor) but the slit was too big to get any air in to the tyre. We do not have the space saver Evil So the car is stuck at home which is lucky I guess. We have the 20" alloys and after getting on the phone we cant get a tyre as nobody carries them as they are made of GOLD thats what you would think when you get the price. We were quoted £408.00 fitted from Kwik Fit or should I say Kiwk Ripoff this was with the so called 25% off. My point is now if the tyre has a slit not a slow puncture then you are totally screwed as the goo fix will not sort that out so you are stuck in your car no spare and no way of moving your car unless you get help from Land Rover Assist. I am waiting now for a tyre to be delivered as I found a Michelin for £198.00 which is a super price . Without the space saver you are in trouble so I so wish that I had ordered one now but did not .The Space saver tyre is a must and Land Rover should have put then in from new and not fitted tyres to the 20" alloys made from GOLD. Guess what I will be buying.

My sympathies, especially as I have no space-saver either, and this is a nightmare scenario if you're miles from anywhere. I never dreamed that you wouldn't get at least a space-saver - I thought the extra cost for a spare wheel was for a full size one, and that a space=saver would be standard, so failed to look into it properly.

Not sure if you mean you'll be buying 19" wheels (which would make financial sense in the long run!) or a space saver. If the latter, remember that you will require the complete replacement insert if you want to store it under the boot floor - and a jack and wheel brace.
21-05-2012 04:46pm
J77

I'm not sure but I think it because LR use strange tyre sizes, which is what causes the problems. This was the excuse kwik s**t gave me anyway when I had to get tyres for a Disco 3. Will probably look out for a spare 19" alloy.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
21-05-2012 04:56pm
andrey1302

Thats why I think a spare is a must...

Fuji 3 dr Pure SD4
[Image: 124851.png]
21-05-2012 05:00pm
Coolbanana

My BMW Z4M only had the goo given that ///M car's don't do run flats like the rest of the range and I once hit a deep pothole at night and the gunk had no chance of plugging it. BMW's assistance folk were brilliant and got the car to the tyre place of my choice though so my delay wasn't that bad since the tyre needed replacing anyway.

I've had LR Assist out once for a small diesel leak on my D4 and they too were quick and friendly so elected not to worry about not having a spare for the Evoque - I prefer the additional storage since that is everyday useful in that it takes all the small bits and bobs I had in my D4 ( you know, essential survival kit items in case everyone around turns into a Zombie Shocked and I need to get away fast in my trusty 4x4...and dog treats for my labrador etc) Laughing

Car:Range Rover Sport 3.0SDV6 HSE - Orkney Grey, Almond interior and with lots of options
Bike:Ducati Monster 1100 EVO
21-05-2012 05:14pm
cjfp

(21-05-2012 05:14pm)Coolbanana Wrote:  (you know, essential survival kit items in case everyone around turns into a Zombie Shocked and I need to get away fast in my trusty 4x4...and dog treats for my labrador etc) Laughing

I can understand the need for 4x4 for terrain issues, but speed is not required - haven't you seen all the documentaries on zombies - they can only go at walking speed and have to have their arms out straight in front of them Laughing

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
21-05-2012 05:20pm
5225chrisb

(21-05-2012 05:20pm)cjfp Wrote:  I can understand the need for 4x4 for terrain issues, but speed is not required - haven't you seen all the documentaries on zombies - they can only go at walking speed and have to have their arms out straight in front of them Laughing

I must admit I always make a point of going through the tools, jack, spare etc. Even though I've got the spare wheel kit the spare was screwed in that tight I had a job loosening it off. If you've got the spare kit it's worth having a try out and familiarising yourself with how the kit goes in and out of the car and also the jacking points, and dare I say the locking wheel nut. Shocked
21-05-2012 05:31pm
cjfp

(21-05-2012 05:31pm)5225chrisb Wrote:  I must admit I always make a point of going through the tools, jack, spare etc. Even though I've got the spare wheel kit the spare was screwed in that tight I had a job loosening it off. If you've got the spare kit it's worth having a try out and familiarising yourself with how the kit goes in and out of the car and also the jacking points, and dare I say the locking wheel nut. Shocked

A very good point - you don't want to get eaten by zombies whilst looking for the locking wheel nut as you scream at your wife "Well, that's where I would have expected them to put it!" Laughing

(This post was last modified: 21-05-2012 05:33pm by cjfp.)
21-05-2012 05:33pm