Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Best older RR model?
Clip

Best older RR model?

Can I ask your opinions please? I'm seriously thinking about adding another RR to the stable, but this one needs to be one that I can thrash around 4wD in without worrying about anything. But not sure which model to start looking at. All I want absolutely the most reliable, something that can cover long distances in comfort, and not thinking anything too new with electronics to cause problems. Fuel economy is not an issue. Would love to hear anyone's thoughts, opinions and choices, thanks.

I should add I would love an original mk1 2 door, but they are so hard to find these days.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2016 06:24am by Clip.)
10-04-2016 06:16am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Best older RR model?

This is a rather open ended question because so much depends on what you really want. Defenders can go around the world and be repaired just about anywhere if you go for pre TD5 models, ok so they don't fit the comfort bill but are you really looking to cover 500/600kms a day in it. It will go anywhere off-road with no modifications except possibly some tyres more suited to the conditions you want to drive in.

Now if you want comfort and simplicity then the Disco1 TDi300 (the same engine as Defenders and the earliest RR Classic 2 doors and LSE/Vogues) it is even available as an automatic. Problem is finding one that hasn't already been heavily off-roaded or isn't riddled with rust in the rear or under the sills. After that then you have Discoveries 2,3 and 4, RRS's and FFRR's with lots and lots of complex electronics that can (and do) go wrong. In the off-road club that I'm a member of we are starting to see 2003-2006 (the earliest) L322 FFRR's being used very successfully in quite severe conditions. They are also probably the best for what you want as later ones have even more complexity! Engines range from a rather course BMW 3.0ltr straight 6 TD (reliable and parts commonly available) BMW 4.4 V8 petrol and the 4.2V8 Supercharged. None of them are exactly economical engines - expect 24-26mpg from the TD and <18mpg from both petrols in on road running............... Disco3 and Mk1 RRS's are brilliant off-road and some D3's came without the complex air suspension, but they also don't have an auto gearbox, RRS is a Disco3 in a party frock. All the "modern" post 2001 Land Rover/RR's are expensive to do body and electronic repairs to BUT so far there seems to be very few corrosion problems reported. Fitting a winch to any of them is easy and all the earlier D£'s, RRS's and FFRR's could be specced with one from the factory. Early FFRR's are reputed to have the best Aircon system ever made and are well known for their ability to turn the interior into a deep freeze BUT faults in the heating/cooling system are hugely expensive to repair, it is a very very complex system. If you want to haul an off-road caravan then any of the D3/RRS/FFRR's will easily haul one up to 3 tonnes and you won't even notice it out the back. Expedition Roofracks are also available for all the earlier cars either aftermarket or OEM. Suggest that you take a look through the Off-road sections of our sister forums FullFatRR.com, Disco3.co.uk and RRSport.co.uk. There are also dedicated Australia and NZ boards with loads of off-road info on the above forums.
The RR before L322 is the P38A..................... Hugely capable, hugely heavy, hugely expensive to run and even more expensive to repair!
Another forum to look at is the G4 and camel Trophy Special Edition forums.

I would suggest an early RRS 2.7HSE, can do everything a FFRR can do in as much comfort or if you can do without a Range Rover badge then an early Discovery 3 would suit your all your requirements except the ease of repair!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2016 09:49am by XFullFatTim.)
10-04-2016 09:41am
Clip

Wow, that is fabulous response Tim, thanks very much. Lots to now think about.

I just need to be able to drive over to a mate's place (4500ks one way, so about 10000k round trip @ 10 hours a day driving). Also need to be able to put it on the beach and a little dirt, and get back home again. Other than the occasional longer trip like this, most of it's other use will be on tarmack, but some dirt roads camping etc, but that will be relatively short trips of day or so driving.

So the P38A are not recommended? I was looking even earlier, like a 1993 model, only because I found one that seemed to be in excellent condition.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2016 11:54am by Clip.)
11-04-2016 11:49am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

A good P38A is a rare thing! Problems tend to be complex and expensive to fix, especially ventilation and air suspension. They also are not reknowned for their fuel economy, especially the 4.6V8. The V8's are also prone to slugging up if they don't get very frequent oil changes.

If you can find a well maintained and looked after "Classic" Rangy then go for it, if looked after then it's value will only go up as there are few good ones that don't need restoration. Over here you can get a good nick 2003 L322 FFRR (last model) for less than £10,000 and they can take huge miles. They have all the TR functions from your Evoque plus some more as they have the airsuspension and are hugely capable for long drives, as would an early RRS 2.7 HSE which is also relatively cheap used BUT they must have full service history otherwise if abused/ neglected you shouldn't touch!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2016 08:28pm by XFullFatTim.)
11-04-2016 08:25pm
Clip

OK, thanks for your time Tim, that does help me narrow it down. So I think I'll start looking seriously for an outstanding Classic, and also an L322 with the 4.4L AJV8. Thanks again, much appreciated.
12-04-2016 02:02pm