Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Awful rental cars......
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Awful rental cars......

Today I handed back what must be the most awful car I have ever had from a rental company. I've had 4 days of driving it more than 600km. It had a 2.0ltr turbo Diesel engine that on this forum has been widely praised, it wasn't anywhere near as smooth as my 2.2TD in the evoque, yes it had tons of torque but applying to the road was somewhat scary in the wet but at least the TC cut in plenty soon enough to calm it down. The vehicle's interior was "nice" but not well put together and the quality of the load space linings was "cheap" it even rattled far more than any Evoque I have travelled in. The car had scary roadholding on streaming wet roads and in the gusty cross winds we had for the week the car was blown all over the road, the light back end didn't help, neither did the rear wheel drive, my Evoque is far more capable in the same conditions. This wasn't a high miles rental hack, this was a car with less than 80kms on the odo. It was a BMW 320td SE................... a more horrible car to drive a long distance in poor conditions I could not imagine and the nicest thing about it was handing back the keys at Copenhagen Airport this morning - I would even prefer to drive my Defender in the same conditions, at least it has comfortable front seats and doesn't get blown all over the road when its windy!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
31-10-2013 07:36pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Valeter

RE: Awful rental cars......

I have allways said BMW's are way over rated.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
31-10-2013 11:18pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

I've driven loads and loads of different cars, but strangely never a BMW, sounds like i'm not missing much!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
31-10-2013 11:48pm
Trapdoor

(31-10-2013 11:18pm)The Valeter Wrote:  I have allways said BMW's are way over rated.

The older BMW's such as the E46 3 Series were nicely made - I had two, both 3.0l petrol sport models and the engine and auto box were superb. My E83 X3 which was based on the same platform as the E46 was appalling, even though it had the same engine and (supposedly) same gearbox. Build quality and quality of materials was dreadful. Was just so glad to get rid of it.

When I looked to change, I investigated the replacement X3 and just hated it. The Evoque was in every way just so much better, although I am concerned now about the build quality and longevity. Considering mine cost me just shy of £50k, I'm not convinced the quality of interior materials, fit and finish is there.

Had: 2013 Prestige Auto Lux
Have: MY17 Autobiography in Waitomo Grey with Ivory/Espresso interior, HUD, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Dynamics, Dynamic Driveline, Wading, Massage Seats. Delivered 17/09/16
01-11-2013 09:32am
The Valeter

(01-11-2013 09:32am)Trapdoor Wrote:  The older BMW's such as the E46 3 Series were nicely made - I had two, both 3.0l petrol sport models and the engine and auto box were superb. My E83 X3 which was based on the same platform as the E46 was appalling, even though it had the same engine and (supposedly) same gearbox. Build quality and quality of materials was dreadful. Was just so glad to get rid of it.

When I looked to change, I investigated the replacement X3 and just hated it. The Evoque was in every way just so much better, although I am concerned now about the build quality and longevity. Considering mine cost me just shy of £50k, I'm not convinced the quality of interior materials, fit and finish is there.

I agree, & in the past one did aspire to owning a BMW but not nowdays. I drove a 320d a few weeks ago, it was a new car that was lent to one of my customers, very slow off the mark & I really couldn't work out the stupid indicator switch.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
01-11-2013 10:43am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Donny Dog

(31-10-2013 11:48pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  I've driven loads and loads of different cars, but strangely never a BMW, sounds like i'm not missing much!

I had three BMWs in succession (a 320i then two 325is) and they were among the best cars I ever had. I only changed to Mercedes (which I also rate highly) when they introduced a coupe with a metal folding roof (a novelty at the time).

People do seem to have strong opinions about some makes, both positive and negative (including the Evoque!) so I'd try one before I condemned it.
01-11-2013 10:44am
sco77harris

Not only do I think JLR are up there with the German brands now, if not leading in some areas, I take great pride in buying a product designed and made in Britain.

The less cars we import the better for our economy Smile

I used to be a massive fan of BMW but their products have become monotonous and uninspiring.
01-11-2013 12:47pm
PhilSkill

(01-11-2013 10:44am)Donny Dog Wrote:  People do seem to have strong opinions about some makes, both positive and negative (including the Evoque!) so I'd try one before I condemned it.

No Worries, I always make up my own mind about anything, but always interested by other opinions on things Smile

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
01-11-2013 12:54pm
batool100

I think, Rolls-Royce cars are the best rental cars and I like these cars to ride. See some latest cars http://www.gari.pk/cars-motors/
01-12-2014 01:04pm
J77

I had a close call with LRA and Enterprise, they were going to give me a Chevrolet Matiz because they couldn't find a D3 but they came up trumps and found one that had just been returned at another branch.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
01-12-2014 07:09pm