Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Auxiliary heater (Remote controlled)
Samepoint

Auxiliary heater (Remote controlled)

Hello from Norway, this is my first post Smile

I'm really not sure which car I should order, Audi Q3 or Evoque .. But at this time i am going more and more towards the Evoque!
And ordering from England as a "Tax free" car.

But what i miss in the English configurator is the remote controlled auxiliary heater! With the last norwegian winter freshed in mind, this is a must have option! (-30C)

Why is not this that option in England? Is it possible to order this even though this is not in the configurator? The Norwegian configurator have auxiliary heater as an option..

My spec:
Dynamic 5 door SD4 4x4 Automatic 190hp, Lux Pack, Orkney Grey Met.
(This post was last modified: 30-08-2011 07:36pm by Samepoint.)
30-08-2011 07:25pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Auxiliary heater (Remote controlled)

The remote heating is called Park Heat or Fuel Burning Auxiliary Heater with remote control in the UK spec sheet and is (was?) an optional extra. Failing that if it is a standard feature on the Norwegian spec cars then even though you are ordering Tax Free in the UK you can ask for the Norwegian equivalent to park heat as it is necessary in your market. The other thing is that I believe that Pete Bell of Bell Automotive Services (a forum member and sponsor) is working on a remote control/ timer for the FBH that is part of the SD4/TD4 emissions system anyway

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 30-08-2011 08:17pm by XFullFatTim.)
30-08-2011 08:16pm
Token

I don't recall seeing this as an optional extra?? Does it come as standard on any of the models?

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
(This post was last modified: 30-08-2011 08:22pm by XFullFatTim.)
30-08-2011 08:19pm
XFullFatTim

I have a spec and options list from March and it was listed on that hence why I put the ? in my post above.
All the diesels come with a Fuel Burning Heater as standard as it is needed to get the engine warmed through more quickly - those who already own Freelander2/RRS/D3/D4 and FFRR will already have been surprised to see smoke coming out from the front bumper or nearside wheel arch after starting up on a morning when the air temperature is less than 5C - it reduces cold start engine emissions but also increases the fuel consumption! This same heater can be connected to a timer device to warm the engine by remote control - I have it on my 2010 FFRR as a standard fitting. It can also be set up using a section of the video screen for automatic timed operation to switch on at a time of your choice. The Park Heat runs for 20 minutes to pre warm the engine thus getting you warm air into the cabin more quickly. I was not impressed with its performance in the FFRR last winter and didn't spec it for the Evoque, the heated seats and heated steering wheel were more effective at warming me than the Park Heat. The Evoque also doesn't use a conventional cabin heater - it uses a ceramic system called Positive Coefficient Heating so doesn't use the engine heat to warm the cabin. It will be interesting to see if it warms the passenger space more quickly than relying on the coolant to do the job!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 30-08-2011 08:32pm by XFullFatTim.)
30-08-2011 08:31pm
Grah

I asked my dealer about programmable interior heating and had this reply:

"The heated front screen is standard, but am not sure what you mean by programmable interior heating, if you mean a pre-heat function, that is not available, but climate is."

Interested to hear that all diesels come with a fuel burning heater - is that the same as the auxillary heater, as it didn't sound as if that was available in the UK?
30-08-2011 08:53pm
BFGEvoqueMan

(30-08-2011 08:31pm)FullFatTim Wrote:  All the diesels come with a Fuel Burning Heater as standard as it is needed to get the engine warmed through more quickly - those who already own Freelander2/RRS/D3/D4 and FFRR will already have been surprised to see smoke coming out from the front bumper or nearside wheel arch after starting up on a morning when the air temperature is less than 5C - it reduces cold start engine emissions but also increases the fuel consumption!
. The Evoque also doesn't use a conventional cabin heater - it uses a ceramic system called Positive Coefficient Heating so doesn't use the engine heat to warm the cabin. It will be interesting to see if it warms the passenger space more quickly than relying on the coolant to do the job!

Sorry FFT, but the FL2 had a PTC just like like the RRE (and was subject to recall on early cars for the odd one going up in smoke!) The fuel heater was only available on the LHD cars as there wasn't space on the RHD. I have lost by dealer order guide that was released on the 4th April, but I am sure that the fuel heater is only available on LHD cars due to the space in the bonnet being taken by the steering coloumn on the RHD cars which is where the heater is fitted.

That said, even at -28c my FL2 had full hot air coming out of the vents in about 5 mins, with about 50% heat after about 1 minute. With the heated windscreen, 4" of snow would be brushable from the windscreen after about 1 minute...but I gues even this isn't good enough for a Norwegian winter.

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
31-08-2011 08:00am
XFullFatTim

I stand corrected BFG, thanks for the proper info

31-08-2011 09:21am
Samepoint

Got a quote from my "Tax-free dealer" in UK today, and Aux. heater is an extra option!

"Timed Climate - Engine and cabin with remote control (telestart) plus programmable timer through touch screen.
Order with Fuel Burning Heater. LHD Only. Not available with base audio."

Price £1.183
02-09-2011 12:42pm