Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Automatic Parking AKA Park Assist
MarkLondon

Automatic Parking AKA Park Assist

OK, so I’ve had my Evoque for a couple of weeks now and am still working/learning my way through the gadgets. So this morning the opportunity arose to try out the auto parking in anger and the result was pretty darn impressive.

It was a fairly narrow one way road, with cars parked on both sides and as I needed to stop anyway, I thought I’d give it a go.

I pressed the hard button and it then looked for and found a space, which I might have not bothered with otherwise. I followed the instructions, slightly nervously, as I’m not used to not using the steering wheel.

Anyway, after one or two forward and backward movements, the car was parked perfectly.

Totally impressed by this now Very Happy

Arrived Jan 2013 from Hadley Green Arrow Prestige SD4 Manual, Fuji White, Pan Roof, Cirrus/Lunar, Aluminium, Ivory Headliner, A/D, Privacy, Lux Pack, Xenons etc
(This post was last modified: 31-01-2013 05:55pm by MarkLondon.)
31-01-2013 02:55pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
scrannel

RE: Automatic Parking

It's such a great option -- and not that expensive. I bought my car off the lot because it had every single thing I wanted. But Auto-park would have been fun. But... once it puts you in the hole, will it dig you out as well?

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
(This post was last modified: 31-01-2013 03:44pm by scrannel.)
31-01-2013 03:43pm
WB
WB

I had the fortune to experience park assist in the fully loaded prestige I had for a month while my replacement Evoque was ordered and after using it a few times on narrow London roads I just had to have it so added it and the electric tailgate to my order!
31-01-2013 05:34pm
cjh

I must admit i did think about the Automatic parking feature, but I thought that although my precious Evoque would park itself nicely in a tight spot, I did wonder if the cars it was parked inbetween would be driven careful enough to not graze my car when they left!

Ordered Oct 2012: Dynamic SD4, Firenze Red, Indus Pano, Gloss black strata, Ebony headlining
Aeroflip, Verve interior, Keyless entry, Powered Tailgate, Surround cameras, High beam assist, Heated steering wheel
31-01-2013 05:53pm
MarkLondon

(31-01-2013 03:43pm)scrannel Wrote:  It's such a great option -- and not that expensive. I bought my car off the lot because it had every single thing I wanted. But Auto-park would have been fun. But... once it puts you in the hole, will it dig you out as well?

Laughing Nope, that's where the cameras come in handy.

Arrived Jan 2013 from Hadley Green Arrow Prestige SD4 Manual, Fuji White, Pan Roof, Cirrus/Lunar, Aluminium, Ivory Headliner, A/D, Privacy, Lux Pack, Xenons etc
(This post was last modified: 31-01-2013 05:54pm by MarkLondon.)
31-01-2013 05:54pm
Rxa

RE: Automatic Parking AKA Park Assist

I agree the Park Assist is a great feature which I use everyday as I park my Evoque on a busy London road. Works great on tight spaces too which you wouldn't normally consider.

Evoque Prestige Lux Sd4 - Santorini Black/ Spirit Tan interior/ Style 7 Shadow Chrome wheels - ordered July 2012, delivered November 2012
1986 Range Rover 3.5 v8 in Dhaka, Bangladesh
31-01-2013 11:01pm
wavey.dave

I've used it a few times, but found that sometimes it doesn't sense the kerb properly, especially low kerbs!

[Image: 143277.png]
01-02-2013 10:27am
WB
WB

(01-02-2013 10:27am)wavey.dave Wrote:  I've used it a few times, but found that sometimes it doesn't sense the kerb properly, especially low kerbs!

I was told it doesn't sense the kerb at all. It uses the car in front and behind to assess the gap so if one or both are parked badly you may have a problem.

If you have the rear view camera its best to keep an eye on the kerb side line to check.
01-02-2013 11:53am
wavey.dave

(01-02-2013 11:53am)WB Wrote:  I was told it doesn't sense the kerb at all. It uses the car in front and behind to assess the gap so if one or both are parked badly you may have a problem.

If you have the rear view camera its best to keep an eye on the kerb side line to check.

That makes sense actually. Always watching the mirrors and rear camera. Its good, but it takes a lot of trust to put full faith in a machine!

[Image: 143277.png]
02-02-2013 01:14am
MikeinNY

I had noticed that if the car in front of me is far from the curb, my Evoque ends up away from the curb after it parks itself.

2013 Evoque 5 Door Si4 Dynamic. Indus Silver/Santorini Black Roof. Ebony Interior with Cirrus headliner. Climate Comfort Package, Sat. and HD Radio, Park Assist. Plasti-dipped RR lettering, side blades and wheels.
02-02-2013 01:30am