Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Autocar test TD4 Evoque
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Autocar test TD4 Evoque

Land Rover's EPB doesn't operate on the other brakes, normally it "clamps " the prop shaft to the rear wheels

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
19-08-2011 07:37pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Blackseries

(19-08-2011 07:29pm)CharlieFarlie Wrote:  I have a Jaguar XFS which also employs the EPB and as its JLR product its likey the same kit or a derivative of it

Can you manually disengage it (via the switch) as you would a traditional cable operated brake . If you can, do you still need to wait a second?

SD4 Prestige Sport Auto 5 Door, Sumatra Black with Ambience interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Surround Cameras, Electric Tailgate, ADRVM.......& Heated Steering Wheel......Gorgeous
19-08-2011 07:39pm
XFullFatTim

The EPB on the test Evoque I drove disengaged when the auto box gear selector was moved from P to D, no human intervention required. On RRS/D4 and FFRR it senses the engine trying to drive against it and disengages almost immediately. It also has a little party trick up it's sleeve for impressing your friends.......................... but I'll have to read the destruction manual to see if the Evoque one does the same trick without damaging something

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
19-08-2011 07:43pm
CharlieFarlie

(19-08-2011 07:39pm)Blackseries Wrote:  
(19-08-2011 07:29pm)CharlieFarlie Wrote:  I have a Jaguar XFS which also employs the EPB and as its JLR product its likey the same kit or a derivative of it

Can you manually disengage it (via the switch) as you would a traditional cable operated brake . If you can, do you still need to wait a second?
Yes You can disengage it via the switch. Jaguar Dealers or most of them advise pausing for a second to allow the pads to disengage fully.
This was after numerous complaints by many XF Owners of brakes (Rear) lasting as little as 10.000 miles...

Tim. If the EPB clamps the prop-shaft as above and not the rear brakes then My warning above was unecessarie I assumed that both vehicles being from the same stable might operate in the same way,

Charlie.
(19-08-2011 07:43pm)FullFatTim Wrote:  The EPB on the test Evoque I drove disengaged when the auto box gear selector was moved from P to D, no human intervention required. On RRS/D4 and FFRR it senses the engine trying to drive against it and disengages almost immediately. It also has a little party trick up it's sleeve for impressing your friends.......................... but I'll have to read the destruction manual to see if the Evoque one does the same trick without damaging something
The Jaguar employs the same system when engaging gear.. Again Jaguar advise pausing for just a second or even a split second to be sure the system has disengaged 100%. Or drag can take place prematurely wearing the rear pads/discs... If The Evouque has the system You describe above then this will be a welcome improvement th those migrating to the Evoque from the XF...

Charlie.
(This post was last modified: 19-08-2011 09:50pm by CharlieFarlie.)
19-08-2011 09:44pm
XFullFatTim

Jaguar borrwoed their system from LR - LR's have had EPB's since 2004

19-08-2011 10:16pm
Jonathon555

Does epb have an auto hill hold like the Audi manual ?

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
20-08-2011 09:32am
LP

Yes Jonathon. I believe so.
20-08-2011 10:05am
XFullFatTim

There is something called gradient control as opposed to Hill Descent Control, which I believe is a hill holder function but having not had a car with it fitted yet i cannot say for sure. BTW for those who have not owned a car fitted with HDC before.................. never leave it switched on all the time - you will wonder what on earth is wrong with your car and will get through brake pads in very quick time!

20-08-2011 10:18am
Gorjan

I have noticed in the same issue, in the Merc C 220 CDI Coupe, has the same torque figures as the TD4 Evoque, it is havier by 115 kg, and still they hav achieved 0-60 mph in 8.1 sec. How come the Evique time fir this is over 10 sec? Ok the Merc has better aerodynamics.. Maybe because the top torque comes earlier at 1450 rpm?

Also how come the SD4 auto is more than 100 kg hevaier than the TD4 manual? Is the auto gearbox so much hevier?

Colima Lime TD4 Pure.
Tech Pack, Pano roof, Auto....
20-08-2011 10:21am
Jonathon555

I believe the auto box is heavier,

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
20-08-2011 11:54am