Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Auto or Manual Gearbox ??
fam1x

RE: Auto or Manual Gearbox ??

What do you drive at the moment Auto or Manual ? Personally I'm moving from manual to auto, I've driven the SD4 auto on a off road course and it was effectless to drive on the course.

Pure SD4 Auto Black Tech pack, Pano roof, Powered tailgate, Dim rear view, Carpet mats & edging, Parking Assist Aid - Rear camera, Folding mirrors, Front Fogs, Auto Light, Rain sensor, Adaptive Xenons, Heated SW, Keyless entry and Privacy Glass arrived 13 Jan 12 Smile
23-11-2011 05:02pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Craig_d1

I like the auto. I'm lazy and can't be bothered with a manual in rush hour traffic. For me a Range Rover is meant to be a relaxing way to travel, and the auto comes with paddle shifts if I want to be a bit more involved..
23-11-2011 05:06pm
PhilSkill

Auto
Easier round town
Better offroad use, more integrated with electronic systems
Perception is RR's should be Auto
Technically faster

Manual
Cheaper
Start/Stop
More driving interaction/control on road
More econmical

I have Manual and love it...

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
23-11-2011 05:15pm
SW6RR

(23-11-2011 05:15pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Auto
Easier round town
Better offroad use, more integrated with electronic systems
Perception is RR's should be Auto
Technically faster

Manual
Cheaper
Start/Stop
More driving interaction/control on road
More econmical

I have Manual and love it...

Based on your points, there are really only two manual points: (1) cheaper and (2) driving interaction / control.... Wink

Arrived (5/11/11): SD4 5-door "Presnamic" Lux Very Happy Auto, Fuji, Spirit/Tan, Style 8 20" Wheels, fully loaded (bar RSE, smoker's pack and Homelink)
(This post was last modified: 23-11-2011 05:43pm by SW6RR.)
23-11-2011 05:41pm
PhilSkill

Are you saying i'm just a cheapskate... Laughing

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
23-11-2011 05:56pm
doug

It's a Range Rover, it has to be Auto. (unless it's for tax reasons) Very Happy

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
23-11-2011 05:58pm
SW6RR

(23-11-2011 05:56pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Are you saying i'm just a cheapskate... Laughing

Ha...never!

Arrived (5/11/11): SD4 5-door "Presnamic" Lux Very Happy Auto, Fuji, Spirit/Tan, Style 8 20" Wheels, fully loaded (bar RSE, smoker's pack and Homelink)
23-11-2011 06:00pm
Straydox

I'm at the point of placing an order and am going to go SD4 manual.

I'd actually like an auto but don't think the current auto transmission is good enough to warrant selection. in 2011 it should really be a 7 or 8 speed box (the Jag XF 2.2 is an 8 speed ZF - albeit rear wheel drive only) and has the same C02 output as a manual Evoque. OK the Jaq is only driving the real wheels and is a more slippery shape but reflects what should be possible - or pretty close anyway. On a test drive I noticed, especially in town it couldn't decide which gear to be in - an odd situation because of all that lovely diesel torque.

The current Evoque auto box seems to slightly out of step with the rest of the car which seems to be at the sharp end of cutting edge just about end-to-end - and a good indicator is fuel economy. Right now there should be little if any difference between an auto and a manual from a fuel consumption point of view and yet in the Evoque's case there is - reading the threads on here it would suggest that 37mpg on a decent run for the SD4 2.2 is about as good as it gets.

I'm sure that we will see LR upgrade the auto transmission to something more modern as the model evolves - but for now I'll stick with a manual.
(This post was last modified: 23-11-2011 06:26pm by Straydox.)
23-11-2011 06:22pm
Token

Auto is a lot quicker than the manual...it is a lot more relaxing than the manual...and the paddle shifts enable engine braking...

Apart from tax or cost (in terms of the latter, it is one of the few options that will genuinly give a return on investment at resale), I can't see why anyone would go manual.

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
23-11-2011 06:55pm
cjfp

(23-11-2011 06:55pm)Token Wrote:  Auto is a lot quicker than the manual...it is a lot more relaxing than the manual...and the paddle shifts enable engine braking...

Apart from tax or cost (in terms of the latter, it is one of the few options that will genuinly give a return on investment at resale), I can't see why anyone would go manual.

As always on this forum, it is all personal preference.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
23-11-2011 07:38pm