Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Auto dimming rear view mirror
iced_07

Auto dimming rear view mirror

Hi all. Took the plunge and ordered yesterday - pure 5 door. Umming and ahhing about a few options, and looks like plenty of time to change order. Dealer was talking about May delivery, possibly April - i was thinking in my head more June or July after reading this excellent forum.

Anyway, wanted to ask if anyone had any experience of the auto dimming rear view mirror - does it have to be activated or is it active all the time? I ask, as in my current car, i have to press a button to activate it or switch it off. As the view becomes much darker, was worried about the view with a small rear view window/added privacy glass.

Would be grateful if someone could clarify/provide feedback.
04-12-2011 10:42pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

RE: Auto dimming rear view mirror

Can't answer about on/off but, IMO, with the privacy glass in my Freelander I wouldn't feel there is any need for auto-dim rear view as the privacy does take away most glare. Haven't gone for privacy in the Evoque so have ordered the auto-dim rear view.

Happy for people to say otherwise.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
04-12-2011 10:50pm
anton

Hi,the mirror auto dims itself so no need to switch on or off,dont know about what its like with the privacy glass though.
04-12-2011 10:58pm
The Valeter

I had this feature in my Freelander 2 that I sold during the week & just before I took it to the dealer after 2 years of owning it I actually made a point of trying the auto dimming mirror. There was a sensor below the glass & I put my finger over it & it went lighter as there was a car with lights on behind, released my finger & it darkened - The FL2 had Privacy Glass.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2011 11:09pm by The Valeter.)
04-12-2011 11:08pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Craig_d1

Got it in mine with privacy, works fine and don't really notice any difference with my previous car, Audi a4 avant(didn't have privacy on that). Audi had a button to turn it on and off, evoque doesn't, it's just on
04-12-2011 11:27pm
iced_07

Thanks for the helpful feedback and clarifying how it works.

cjfp has got me thinking if it's needed at all now with the privacy glass. Must say, speccing the evoque has been more difficult than my previous car
04-12-2011 11:35pm
cobkelly

Like Craig, I use auto dimming with privacy and it works great and not too dark at all. Because the view out of the rear window is quite low (i.e. only see the road immediately behind you), I rely on the door mirrors a lot anyway, and in the 800 miles I've done in the last week I haven't noticed any glare coming in from the door mirrors.

Arrived: Pure SD4 5dr Manual. Sumatra with Cirrus/Lunar. Xenons, fogs, pano, auto-headlamps, high-beam assist, heated/folding mirrors with puddle lamps, privacy glass. Would defo consider if ordering again: cameras, keyless entry.
05-12-2011 09:44am