Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Apple users
Poke

RE: Apple users

(14-08-2012 01:04pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I have a Macbook Air (the computer I downloaded onto last night) and a Mac as well as 2 x iPad and an iPhone! Just downloading and installing Mountain Lion on the Mac as I type this - the 2nd download is free!

It's because your two Mac have the same iTunes account. You can link 5 computesr to one iTunes account, so every app or song you buy can be freely downloaded on the linked computer. You can also manage which computer are linked if you have more than 5 macs.

On Order Since 19 march 2012
Delivered 05 october 2012
Pure 5 Door, Orkney grey with Ebony Interior, Si4, Automatic, Wheel Style 4, Tech Pack, Visibility Pack, Pano Roof, Rear Cam, Powered Tailgate and Power Folding Mirrors.
15-08-2012 07:19am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Straydox

(14-08-2012 11:01pm)Evo-king Wrote:  Keep the posts coming as I may still go for it, when I can understand the benefits. As for the cloud I have no idea what it is or does.

The 'Cloud' is a reincarnation of a concept that 1st appeared about 10 years ago - only then it was called 'SAAS - software as a service' or the ability to use applications and/or services that are entirely internet based.

The Cloud is a great concept with some worry-beads attached because your data is out there on some server anywhere on the planet and you have no control over who can see it or even if it is backed up. People assume that companies that offer Cloud services will look after the finer details for them - the catch being if anything goes wrong there is no come-back.

Those of us who use Android devices - i.e. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 have the same challenge quite probably with our Outlook calendars sync'd with a Gmail account in the Cloud and then sync'd back to our mobile devices. Same goes for contacts too.

So what should you do? The fundamental principle remains that you should takes steps to protect the data that is important to you locally. Don't assume that your Cloud provider is doing it for you - because they probably aren't taking sufficient precautions.

This rather sobering story is the risk that you run with Cloud based services - it happens to be Apple related but really goes for any Clould based service: hack article

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
(This post was last modified: 15-08-2012 09:18am by Straydox.)
15-08-2012 09:02am
FujiSan

Always been a dyed-in-the-wool PC man myself, ever since I built my own back in the Intel 286 days, with a 286, a full 1meg memory, 40 meg hard drive, 2 serial ports, 1 printer port and and colour EGA display, running Dos 6.0. Latest PC was an HP Laptop, with Win 7 premium. 2 gig processor, 4gig memory, 250 gig HD etc, etc.

UNTIL

I got an iPhone 3GS
Then later got a 1st gen iPad
Then got hooked.
Then upgraded to iPhone 4S and started getting frustrated with Windows.
Then got really hooked and upgraded to the New iPad and started wondering why I was using windows at all, and why, even with win 7, I was continually, almost weekly, having to upgrade the OS to fix security issues, and why could it not just be like iOS?

Then took the plunge....

A shiny new 21 inch Mac.

What a revelation. I really don't know why it took me so long, but I won't go back. The integration is so tight. I can create an appointment on my iPad, it automatically updates on my Mac, my iPhone and my wife's iPhone. She can edit the appointment, and the edit replicates across all devices and I even get an email to tell me it has changed. I take a photo of a nice view, my wife can see it on her iPhone via iCloud and photostream, without my having to do anything.

I love it.

TD4 Pure - Now a rare breed...

[Image: 131166.png]
(This post was last modified: 15-08-2012 06:05pm by FujiSan.)
15-08-2012 06:02pm
NightFox

(15-08-2012 06:02pm)FujiSan Wrote:  Always been a dyed-in-the-wool PC man myself, ever since I built my own back in the Intel 286 days, with a 286, a full 1meg memory, 40 meg hard drive, 2 serial ports, 1 printer port and and colour EGA display, running Dos 6.0. Latest PC was an HP Laptop, with Win 7 premium. 2 gig processor, 4gig memory, 250 gig HD etc, etc.

UNTIL

I got an iPhone 3GS
Then later got a 1st gen iPad
Then got hooked.
Then upgraded to iPhone 4S and started getting frustrated with Windows.
Then got really hooked and upgraded to the New iPad and started wondering why I was using windows at all, and why, even with win 7, I was continually, almost weekly, having to upgrade the OS to fix security issues, and why could it not just be like iOS?

Then took the plunge....

A shiny new 21 inch Mac.

What a revelation. I really don't know why it took me so long, but I won't go back. The integration is so tight. I can create an appointment on my iPad, it automatically updates on my Mac, my iPhone and my wife's iPhone. She can edit the appointment, and the edit replicates across all devices and I even get an email to tell me it has changed. I take a photo of a nice view, my wife can see it on her iPhone via iCloud and photostream, without my having to do anything.

I love it.

I think it's a similar story for many people, they're die-hard Windows/PC people, then they buy an iPod or an iPhone and a year down the line they've completely converted to Macs. That's certainly how it was for me and I don't miss PCs one bit, even though I used to really enjoy tinkering with them and updgrading them the way you just can't with a Mac - somehow once you get a Mac you just don't want to mess with it!

MY13 TD4 Pure Manual ~ Tech Pack ~ Mauritius Blue ~ Panoramic Roof ~ Adaptive Xenons ~ Park Assist ~ Keyless Entry ~ Reversing Camera ~ Powerfold Mirrors ~ Autodimming Mirror
Ordered 14/6/12 ~ Built 13/11/12 ~ Delivered 15/11/12 ~ Collected 20/11/12

[Image: 163643.png]
16-08-2012 10:25am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

One tiny downside to the new OS that I have found is that both safari and the mail client seem to take noticably longer to boot up

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
16-08-2012 05:40pm
chiggy

Try to use chrome or Firefox - much quicker to boot up (instead of Safari) and generally quicker as well.

Evoque Round 2: Fuji Si4 Dynamic - 5dr. Pursuit interior. Dynamic Tech Pack. Adaptive Xenons. 19in Standard Alloy wheels. Twisted Evil
Contrast black roof (to be painted soon). (Previously a Firenze Pure owner - still my favourite colour Wink)
21-08-2012 06:02am
rhysadams

I've decided to get a PC Laptop, so that I can hook into the server at work easily. God what a pain in the backside to set up! Forgot how long winded everything was. Anyway, since IT have made a few changes. I can now remote desktop on my Macbook. Don't have to worry about the PC! lol

Arrived!!!: Range Rover Evoque SD4 Auto Dynamic Lux plus Privacy Glass and Premium Mats. Firenze Red, Black Roof and Style 6 Alloys, Dealer painted Black! DELIVERED: 14th September 2012 by Farnells Bradford.
26-08-2012 12:53pm