Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Aftermarket air-suspension
Evoquetur

Aftermarket air-suspension

Very Happy
Hello all,

I just purchased a used 2012 Dynamic premium evoque 4 door... Indus Silver...looks great but I would like to add an adjustable air suspension so I can do more aggressive off roading in the hills of southern Georgia. Also since mange ride was not an option for me I figure that the option of lowering the vehicle a bit and adjusting the stiffness of the suspension would would also be a great addition to just lifting it for off-roading!!

I'm in Tampa now and was wondering if anyone who has done this modification has any recommendations... Is there a good location for the compressor and other components that would not be harmed by off-roading but not take up the trunk space ( there is a small nook in the trunk on the right that may suffice!)Idea

Sad
I also am concerned about the warranty and if the aftermarket suspension will invalidate the entire warranty...

Thanks in advance for your advice!!
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2013 01:29pm by Evoquetur.)
02-12-2013 01:22pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Aftermarket air-suspension

If I remember correctly the most additional elevation that a Freelander2 can get without doing severe damage to the drive train is 2" so adding airsuspension your ride height will be restricted by the drive train not being able to cope.
I suspect it will also be so expensive to fit and then insure the vehicle you would be cheaper to go out and buy a battered old SUV that will handle the conditions better and has the added advantage of having a transfer box with low ratios that the Evoque doesn't have. There isn't a lot of empty space under the vehicle to hide the compressor and air receiver anyway. I used to offroad a Freelander 1 - LR2 I think in the USA and ended up buying a proper Land Rover as it wasn't the ride height that was the problem, it was the transmission not being able to cope with the things that its bigger brothers could take in their stride like long steep inclines, deep ruts were never an issue if there was room to drive astride them and I drove my Evoque offroad in the same manner if I encountered deep ruts.

And certainly in Europe if you did that conversion on your less than 3 year old Evoque the warranty would be well and truly voided - insurance would be nigh on impossible to without expensive surveys by insurance company engineers. Your Evoque isn't yet 3 years old (the oldest ones will be 3 after September 9th this year and fall out of warranty - I don't know how long the USA car's warranty is, it may only be 12 months)

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2013 08:03pm by XFullFatTim.)
02-12-2013 08:00pm
Evoquetur

RE: Aftermarket air-suspension

Thank you for your response and thoughts!

Well, I guess, then what can I do to improve the vehicles handling and road feel? I was not able to get magneride and I would like to make the on road handling a bit better if the off road handling is not something that can be improved by an air suspension...

Thanks!!
02-12-2013 09:51pm