Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
After Sales Fog Light Fitment.
IvorRedOne

RE: After Sales Fog Light Fitment.

Interesting article here: http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/a...ing-light/ and http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-...?locale=en

As far as I can see, My lights conform to this EU Directive. These Bumper lights/foglights whatever you want to call them automatically switch on when the engine is started. When it is dark I have the option to switch on the driving lights manually or put to Auto. In either case the DRL's go off automatically.

When the lights are switched to Auto during the day, the DRL's come on and as soon as it starts to get dark the dipped headlights come on then the DRL's automatically turn off. I also have an over-ride switch to turn them completely off.

What's wrong with that? The lights are low powered LED's and not blinding anyone during the day.
26-11-2012 09:31pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ED209

(26-11-2012 09:31pm)IvorRedOne Wrote:  Interesting article here: http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/a...ing-light/ and http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-...?locale=en

As far as I can see, My lights conform to this EU Directive. These Bumper lights/foglights whatever you want to call them automatically switch on when the engine is started. When it is dark I have the option to switch on the driving lights manually or put to Auto. In either case the DRL's go off automatically.

When the lights are switched to Auto during the day, the DRL's come on and as soon as it starts to get dark the dipped headlights come on then the DRL's automatically turn off. I also have an over-ride switch to turn them completely off.

What's wrong with that? The lights are low powered LED's and not blinding anyone during the day.

Have you physically changed the bulbs?? If not they remain fog lights. Its not a case of "whatever i want to call them" The fog bulbs could also hardly be described as low powered, they are the brightest fog lights i have ever had on a car.

By the logic you seem to be applying would my main beam head lamps be classed as DRL's if they switched on automatically when the engine was started? Of course they would not, they would remain main beam head lamps.

I am also confused as to what you mean by driving lights? Have you fitted some extra lamps? evoques do not have driving lights/lamps.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
(This post was last modified: 27-11-2012 08:17am by ED209.)
27-11-2012 08:15am
speary

(27-11-2012 08:15am)ED209 Wrote:  Have you physically changed the bulbs?? If not they remain fog lights. Its not a case of "whatever i want to call them" The fog bulbs could also hardly be described as low powered, they are the brightest fog lights i have ever had on a car.

By the logic you seem to be applying would my main beam head lamps be classed as DRL's if they switched on automatically when the engine was started? Of course they would not, they would remain main beam head lamps.

I am also confused as to what you mean by driving lights? Have you fitted some extra lamps? evoques do not have driving lights/lamps.

ED209, I am sure that the fog lamp bulbs on the Evoque are LED's and are therefore not replaceable, but maybe dimmable. Interesting that you say bulbs are marked as fog bulbs. On a traditional fillament type bulb in my previous car's fog lights if the bulb failed it was replaced with the same type eg H7. H7 can be used in headlights, fog lights, spot/driving lamps etc. and are not application specific
I agree cars driving around with fog lights on when its not foggy can be a pain, but no more so than the myriad of youth driving around with blue/white 100 watt non conforming headlight bulbs fitted, what a blinding pain. At least this Evoque mod seems to have been done in a considered way by a professional

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
27-11-2012 09:41am
ED209

H7 is a type of bulb, nothing to do with eu lamp approval, fog lights are marked with a B to desgnate them as fog lights, no amount of tinkering with wires will change their status. These markings are found tucked right under the foglamp on the evoque and are difficult to see unless you remove the lens.

ECE/EEC Device Function Markings:

Signal Lamp Markings, Front and Rear

A Parking lamp (also called "position lamp", "city light", "sidelight")
AR Reversing (backup) Lamp
F or B Rear Fog Lamp
IA Retroreflector
R Tail (rear position) Lamp
S1 Brake (stop) lamp
S3 Centre High Mount Stop Lamp (3rd brake light)
1 Front Turn Indicator for use more than 40mm away from low beam headlamp axis
1a Front Turn Indicator for use more than 20mm and less than 40mm away from low beam headlamp axis
1b Front Turn Indicator for use less than 20mm away from low beam headlamp axis
2a Rear Turn Indicator
5 Side Turn Signal Repeater
SM1 Sidemarker lamp
SM2 Sidemarker lamp
RL Daytime Running Lamp (DRL)
Forward Illumination Lamp Function Markings:

B Fog lamp
C Low (dip) beam headlamp, tungsten filament
R High (main) beam headlamp or driving lamp, tungsten filament
CR Low/high (dip/main) beam headlamp, tungsten filament
HC Low (dip) beam headlamp, halogen
HR High (main) beam headlamp or driving lamp, halogen
HCR Low/high (dip/main) beam headlamp, halogen
DC Low (dip) beam headlamp, gas discharge (HID Xenon)
DR High (main) beam headlamp or driving lamp, gas discharge (HID Xenon)
DCR Low/high (dip/main) beam headlamp, gas discharge (HID Xenon)
A Front position lamp ("parking lamp", "city light", "sidelight")
RL Daytime Running Lamp ("DRL")
PL Plastic lens (may occur with any of above markings)

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
27-11-2012 11:41am
PhilSkill

Ivor, as you've had the led's dimmed (easily done by a professional) you probably fall safely into the ECE R87 regulation of

is capable of emitting white light to the front having an intensity of not less than 200 candelas, measured from directly in front of the centre of the lamp in a direction parallel to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle, and of not more than 800 candelas in any direction.

and since you've had the control modified you probably also fall safely into

(a)the engine of the vehicle is running, or the key or devices which control the starting or stopping of the engine are in the normal position for driving the vehicle, and
(i)the obligatory position lamps, but not the headlamps, of the vehicle are switched on, or
(ii)the obligatory position lamps are switched off

But because the units were designed as FOG lights, they are marked as FOG lights, have reflectors/lenses for FOG lights, you would struggle to defend they are not FOG lights. Even though they are probably better than a retrofit pair from Halfords that have ECE R87 marked on them because they were designed for that purpose.

It's one of those grey areas that if it were really to get that far, only a court of law would make a decision on, and really you don't want to be getting to that point...

You've done everything right, but are you within the law... ?

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
27-11-2012 12:51pm
cutter7

After Sales Fog Light Fitment.

[Image: e8eje3y9.jpg]

Just bolt 4 of these across the front! Laughing

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk V1.15.0

(This post was last modified: 27-11-2012 01:24pm by cutter7.)
27-11-2012 01:23pm
PhilSkill

Laughing

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
27-11-2012 01:24pm
IvorRedOne

(27-11-2012 12:51pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Ivor, You've done everything right, but are you within the law... ?

Just come back from LandRover Dealership. The fitted bumper lights are DRL's and not fogs. I have asked LR to log their findings onto their servicing records which they are happy enough to do especially as this was an after market fit but partly fitted by LR. They state they are perfectly OK to be driving around with during the day being used as DRL's.

Have included a couple of photos and if you think this is incorrect then I would appreciate comments on how it should work. I am only going on what LR have told me and what the vehicle electrician has done. Thanks.

[Image: 201211271431571600x1200.jpg]

[Image: 201211271430431600x1200.jpg]

[Image: 201211271433171600x1200.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 27-11-2012 04:03pm by IvorRedOne.)
27-11-2012 04:01pm
ED209

I would hardly describe those as low powered LED's. They look bloody bright to me, funnily enough exactly like fog lamps!!

Or are you saying they are different light units all together to those fitted as standard at the factory as fog lights?

I would also imagine that whoever you spoke to at Landrover and the electrician will have had no training whatsoever in the Road traffic act and construction and use regulations.

27-11-2012 05:19pm
IvorRedOne

(27-11-2012 05:19pm)ED209 Wrote:  I would hardly describe those as low powered LED's. They look bloody bright to me, funnily enough exactly like fog lamps!!

Or are you saying they are different light units all together to those fitted as standard at the factory as fog lights?

I would also imagine that whoever you spoke to at Landrover and the electrician will have had no training whatsoever in the Road traffic act and construction and use regulations.
Ed, The company who wired up the lights work quite closely with DVLNI MOT center. Any MOT Light Failures and this company have to rectify the problem. MOT In Northern Ireland is more rigorous testing here than it is in England. Not a two minute inspection here. The parts department at LR have stated they are fit to be used as DRL's.

I don't work for LR but I am now under the impression there might be two types of lights that can be fitted into the bumper of this vehicle. I dont know. Do you?

The lights are no brighter than in the 3rd picture down believe me. Just the crappy mobile phone is rubbish when taking photos of lights.
27-11-2012 05:38pm