babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
6-spd lag - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Maintenance (/Forum-Maintenance)
+--- Thread: 6-spd lag (/Thread-6-spd-lag)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

6-spd lag - KaDargo - 19-05-2016 08:23pm

Just had 4th service done, and they also applied s/w update Q585 (engine management system upgrade) which also included a gearbox update - early days, touch wood etc, but I think it may have cured the dreaded gearbox lag

RE: 6-spd lag - Nickj - 19-05-2016 09:15pm

Very interesting. I find the gearbox very slow compared to what I'm used to. It works fine, just a bit unexciting! When you say lag is this this a recognised problem? Do you think they May update this out of services?

RE: 6-spd lag - XFullFatTim - 19-05-2016 10:48pm

Lag has been an issue for many Evoques since launch in 2011.

RE: 6-spd lag - wheels - 20-05-2016 09:47am

What do you mean with "lag"? Do you mean turbolag?

RE: 6-spd lag - XFullFatTim - 20-05-2016 09:57am

Often people think it is turbo-lag but many reckon it is something in the gearbox software, RRS has the same issue with it's 8 speed ZF gearbox as do many BMW's and Audis with the ZF boxes. This software update sounds like it might cure any gearbox lag. IIRC the 6 Speed is an Aisin Gearbox, not a ZF, the 9 speeder is a ZF.

RE: 6-spd lag - KaDargo - 20-05-2016 10:49am

(20-05-2016 09:57am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Often people think it is turbo-lag but many reckon it is something in the gearbox software, RRS has the same issue with it's 8 speed ZF gearbox as do many BMW's and Audis with the ZF boxes. This software update sounds like it might cure any gearbox lag. IIRC the 6 Speed is an Aisin Gearbox, not a ZF, the 9 speeder is a ZF.

Definitely don't need brown trousers on roundabouts now !! Laughing

RE: 6-spd lag - PhilSkill - 20-05-2016 11:39am

With the Manual I rarely get turbo lag, just occasionally if I catch a junction under certain conditions, whereas the Auto does seem to suffer much more additional lags, so agree it's not turbo lag.

Will transform the car if they fixed it!

RE: 6-spd lag - wheels - 20-05-2016 01:19pm

Suppose when they say gearbox update, what they mean is a built in "lag" to protect the gearbox or protect unwary drivers from jumping into traffic so to speak

RE: 6-spd lag - nick1340 - 20-05-2016 04:17pm

(20-05-2016 01:19pm)wheels Wrote:  Suppose when they say gearbox update, what they mean is a built in "lag" to protect the gearbox or protect unwary drivers from jumping into traffic so to speak

That's the way I would describe it as well on the six speed auto.
It's a slightly urgent snatchiness of clutch release at times in the two lowest gears which responds a b it later than you expect.
It's liveable but not something I experienced with the 6 or 8 speed on the XF Jags.

RE: 6-spd lag - Rein - 21-05-2016 10:35am

(19-05-2016 08:23pm)KaDargo Wrote:  Just had 4th service done, and they also applied s/w update Q585 (engine management system upgrade) which also included a gearbox update - early days, touch wood etc, but I think it may have cured the dreaded gearbox lag

Do you still feel like the lag has gone away? If it is I'll be ringing my dealer for the update aswell