babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Off topic question for any board members in the UK, Germany, France , or Australia - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Site News & Chat (/Forum-Site-News-Chat)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (/Forum-Off-Topic)
+---- Forum: Everything Else (/Forum-Everything-Else)
+---- Thread: Off topic question for any board members in the UK, Germany, France , or Australia (/Thread-Off-topic-question-for-any-board-members-in-the-UK-Germany-France-or-Australia)

Off topic question for any board members in the UK, Germany, France , or Australia - Lone Rangerover - 06-04-2014 11:57pm

I have a non-range rover request for my European and Australian colleagues on this board.

My Dad takes a prescription from his Dr. here in Canada for Lipitor that is only available in high doses in both Canada and the US. The lowest does that is sold here is 10 mg.

but because he requires only 1/8th of that I have been cutting it for him into 8 pieces using a pill cutter which is difficult to do and not particularly accurate - the smaller you get.

I found out by calling Pfizer that in certain European countries that Atorvastatin or Lipitor as it's also called is sold in 5 mg doses. (for some odd reason they wouldn't tell me which ones though) I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a pharmacy there that I could call and place an order for their lowest dose, and have it shipped to me in Canada.

Ive even heard anecdotally that the lowest dose is an over the counter type of purchase in some countries kind of like buying aspirin.

If someone is by their local pharmacy - I would love to know :

a) What the lowest dose of Atorvastatin is, and how much it sells for.

b) The name of the pharmacy and phone number so that I can contact them to order.

Thanks!

RE: Off topic question for any board members in the UK, Germany, France , or Australia - cjfp - 07-04-2014 06:46am

I took a look at various uk sources but couldnt find anyone 'reliable' that sold 5mg but other 'reliable' ones only went down to 10mg

RE: Off topic question for any board members in the UK, Germany, France , or Australia - Lone Rangerover - 07-04-2014 06:54pm

(07-04-2014 06:46am)cjfp Wrote:  I took a look at various uk sources but couldnt find anyone 'reliable' that sold 5mg but other 'reliable' ones only went down to 10mg

Thanks for that.

The local "mainstream pharmacies" I'm not sure what they are over there, but here we have large pharmacies in Costco, and in grocery chains like Safeway and Save-on-Foods and rather ironically a chain called London Drugs.

I was in London a number of years ago, and I remember seeing a number of Tesco's and Sainsburys - do they contain pharmacies ? -- and if so - have you ever seen it sold "over the counter" as we call it here ?

I'm not sure if that saying is a worldwide one, but here in Canada it means not requiring a prescription and available to the general public like Asprin or Tylenol.

Thanks again for your help

RE: Off topic question for any board members in the UK, Germany, France , or Australia - cjfp - 07-04-2014 07:10pm

We do have pharmacies in supermarkets etc but i coudnt find it under 10 mg

RE: Off topic question for any board members in the UK, Germany, France , or Australia - XFullFatTim - 07-04-2014 07:12pm

These are one of the "statins" used for cholesterol reduction. Here they are only available on prescription from a doctor.

RE: Off topic question for any board members in the UK, Germany, France , or Australia - m_101 - 08-04-2014 07:53am

You have a PM as I may have some info to offer.