babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
From Pure Tech to Dynamic - My thoughts - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: My Range Rover Evoque (/Forum-My-Range-Rover-Evoque)
+--- Thread: From Pure Tech to Dynamic - My thoughts (/Thread-From-Pure-Tech-to-Dynamic-My-thoughts)

Pages: 1 2

From Pure Tech to Dynamic - My thoughts - edgedata - 10-12-2013 02:00am

In March 2012 I took delivery of my 12MY Evoque

Orkney Grey SD4 5 door Evoque Pure Tech
6 speed Auto - Electric Tailgate - Black contrast roof - Panoramic Roof
825W Meridian - Electric folding mirrors + puddle lamps - Front fog lights
20" Style 6 alloys - Rear camera - Privacy glass - Spare wheel
Dealer fit: Mudflaps, black grill & wing details, Load space storage system
Alloy pedals, Alloy treadplates

After 21 months of completely trouble free motoring I have just taken delivery of my new 14MY with the following spec:

2014MY SD4 Firenze Red Dynamic 5dr
9 speed auto - Black contrast Roof - Panoramic Roof - Privacy Glass
Electric Tailgate - 825W Meridian - Heated steering wheel
Obviously the new Dynamic also came as standard with all the other extras
I had originally added to the Pure Tech
Dealer Fit: Mudflaps - swap spare wheel and load space system from old car.

Here are my thoughts on the new car.

Things I like:
  • 9 speed auto. This is much better than the 6 speed box it replaces. The car is noticeably quieter on the road because of the higher ratio gearing. At 60mph in 9th gear the engine is running at about 1200rpm. Very smooth changes between gears - almost indiscernible. Despite some other reports, the car sets off in 2nd gear and will cruise at 60mph in top gear (it will however change down to 8th with even the slightest increase in throttle).
  • Too soon to comment on fuel economy but average for the four days I've had it is 37mpg which is better than the Pure even though the Dynamic has about 100 miles on the clock.
  • Smaller wing mirrors. I don't think they offer much difference in terms of rear visibility but when going around roundabouts, it is much easier to determine where the front wheel is. I didn't has a big problem with the old mirrors but I consider the new ones an improvement.
  • The perforated leather and the contrast stitching are much more to my liking. Nothing wrong with the pure seats but I definitely prefer the Dynamic.
  • Xenon Headlights - Don't need to say much here. The Halogens were poor on the pure and possibly even dangerous. I replaced the bulbs with OSRAM (or something supposedly 100% brighter) but they were still poor. Not that bothered about the signature LED lights but everyone else seams to like them?
  • Dipping mirrors in reverse. Good feature if you ask me and will hopefully keep the alloys off the kerb for a bit longer.
  • Stealth mode button - Great feature for night time driving. Turns the sat nav screen off (You still have the bit in the centre of the speedo pod) and dims all interior lights to absolute minimum. Makes the car very dark inside. Doesn't sound much but it is a feature I will be using a lot.
  • Better graphics on SatNav and inclusion of 4x4 Information and driving style information. Your driving style is displayed in terms of your driving efficiency and there is also three little indicators in the speedo pod to display acceleration, speed and braking in regards to your overall driving efficiency. It's actually quite addictive to keep the 5 green lights for each indicating the best possible fuel efficiency.
  • No warning stickers on sun visors! - Well, there is one on the passenger side but none on the drivers sunvisor. This was a major hate of mine on the old car.
  • Easy entry seat - Being quite short, and liking the seat quite high, I like the fact that the seat lowers to its lowest position when stopping the engine. Easier to get in and out.
  • New roof console. Now with LED lights and includes a sun glasses holder. (Why didn't they use LED's in the rear?)
  • USB port in centre console is now illuminated and is much easier to find in the dark.
  • Ability to upload speed camera database to SatNav. Works all the time and provides notification of upcoming speed cameras even if SatNav screen is not displayed.

Things I dislike:
  • Blue illuminated tread plates - look tacky to me - prefer the plain aluminium ones I had in the Pure
  • Red dials when selecting Dynamic mode - Looks tacky and cheep.
  • Gloss black centre console cover - Matt grey in pure looked better.
  • Stop/Start technology - I'm sure I'll get used to it in time but at the minute I dislike it and it feels unnatural for a car to stop when you reach a junction.
  • Only one USB port in centre cubby box. Poor - I need two back!

So, overall very happy with my second Evoque. I loved my first one and hope the new Dynamic lives up to the expectations instilled during the last 21 months in my superb SD4 Auto Pure Tech. The Dynamic sure has some big boots to fill if it is to exceed my feelings regarding how good the Evoque actually is.

Please remember, this is all in my opinion. I appreciate that not everyone will agree with my thoughts and comments but I thought I'd let you know how I feel about my new early Christmas present to myself.

Regards

Mark

RE: From Pure Tech to Dynamic - My thoughts - buckiebabyrr - 10-12-2013 05:19am

Hi Mark
Great write up.
I have also ordered a MY14 dynamic but this is my first, your write up proves i was right to order one without seeing a MY14 model.
Thanks
Paul

RE: From Pure Tech to Dynamic - My thoughts - sco77harris - 10-12-2013 11:10am

Look forward to pics

RE: From Pure Tech to Dynamic - My thoughts - The Valeter - 10-12-2013 11:18am

I had the easy entry seats in my Dynamic = sometimes they worked & sometimes they didn't so not bothered about that & one reason why I didn't even order electric seats in my Pure Tech.
In my Pure Tech I can turm off the Sat Nav display.
I allways prefered the look of the Gloss Black Centre Console Cover but after a day or so in my Pure Tech I have no issue with it & is one less thing to scratch.
I did like the Red illumination but rarely ever saw it as I rarely ever put it in Active Dynamics.
Stop Start = Bloody Nuisance.

RE: From Pure Tech to Dynamic - My thoughts - jjgray - 10-12-2013 02:56pm

You didn't mention/notice the smoother suspension?

RE: From Pure Tech to Dynamic - My thoughts - PhilSkill - 10-12-2013 03:14pm

Interesting Comparison Mark, Thanks!

Be great to hear how your fuel consumption goes in time, Sounds like some neat features if nothing overly dramatic in the new.

Why do you need 2 usb ports? can you have 2 devices plugged in together, not having an iPhone, I only ever use 1 for a USB stick and that's my lot.

I do wish they would upgrade the Sat Nav to allow Speed Cameras to be uploaded on the MY12 system, though, but it's hardly enough to make me change the car... (If I ever see mine again!)

RE: From Pure Tech to Dynamic - My thoughts - XFullFatTim - 10-12-2013 03:40pm

Congratulations, LR must be quite pleased that so many forum members are returning for a second helping of Evoque! Good to read that the 9 speeds is so smooth. I think when mine arrives the stop/start will be switched off as soon as I start the engine although with the tiny amount of stop start driving I do it won't see much use anyway.

Mark one question - how do you find the position of the new sliding cubby box top for acting as an arm rest? Does it slide far enough foward and is it high enough for comfort?

RE: From Pure Tech to Dynamic - My thoughts - HeartbreakRidge - 10-12-2013 11:23pm

Oh, Stop/Start can be turned on/off by the user?

RE: From Pure Tech to Dynamic - My thoughts - PhilSkill - 11-12-2013 11:18am

Yep press the ECO button and hey presto no start stop, or drive a MY12 Manual and Hey presto no start stop Laughing

RE: From Pure Tech to Dynamic - My thoughts - XFullFatTim - 11-12-2013 06:21pm

And drive it in very cold conditions and your stop start is inhibited to save battery load!