babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Hot Brakes/Clutch? - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Technical (/Forum-Technical)
+--- Thread: Hot Brakes/Clutch? (/Thread-Hot-Brakes-Clutch)

Hot Brakes/Clutch? - shortnick - 06-11-2013 06:40pm

Hi,

Got home today from my usual commute (15 miles, 40-50 mph, straight road, few holdups) and something smelled 'hot'. Not sure what but it seemed to be at the back of the car. The discs weren't glowing and nothing felt particularly hot, but the trip mpg was down a bit as well. This happened once before a few weeks ago, but has not recurred since (until now). I thought that perhaps the electronic parking brake may have been stuck, but there was no indication of such. The car is an SD4 Prestige, 2200 miles, 7 wks old. Anyone else had a similar thing happen? Thanks.

RE: Hot Brakes/Clutch? - Trapdoor - 06-11-2013 07:24pm

DPF Regeneration? - sounds like the symptoms of the 'fuel burn' phase of the regen where Diesel is used to increase the DPF temp to ensure the regen is completed correctly.

RE: Hot Brakes/Clutch? - BFGEvoqueMan - 06-11-2013 07:46pm

Definitely DPF regeneration - nothing to worry aboutShocked

RE: Hot Brakes/Clutch? - shortnick - 06-11-2013 09:29pm

Thanks folks, but you've lost me. What is DPF regeneration?

RE: Hot Brakes/Clutch? - cjfp - 06-11-2013 10:12pm

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/diesel-particulate-filters.html

RE: Hot Brakes/Clutch? - XFullFatTim - 06-11-2013 10:12pm

Your SD4 emits soot so those nice people in the EU decided a couple of years ago to reduce emissions of soot and CO2 further than it was - EU6 is what it is called.
This required all cars built after a certain date in 2010 to have a soot filter in the exhaust system. Fine and dandy, great for asthma sufferers and kids, less soot particles = less pollution. The engineers got to work and made a filter that would filter out the soot, unfortunately the filter got blocked up in town driving so they designed a "burner" to clean out the soot (aka regenerator). Using clever monitoring the filter senses when it has to regenerate - it needs the car to be moving above a set speed and / or RPM to do it and if you do a fair bit of town stop/start/crawling driving then the filter clogs up quite quickly and you need to take the car for a good hard drive to force a regeneration cycle. I live in the sticks, rarely drive in town conditions at rush hour and regularly blast down the motorways = DPF rarely needs to regenerate on my car BUT when it does I can smell it (a sort burning rubber and oil smell) if I suddenly slow down or park up while the car is doing it's thing.

Disclaimer - I know it's way more technical than this but there may be older adults reading who would meltdown if I used more technical words! This is a very simplistic explanation and may not be 100% correct. I believe Wikipedia has a better technical explanation..........

RE: Hot Brakes/Clutch? - shortnick - 06-11-2013 10:38pm

Thanks everyone, that would indeed explain the smell, particularly as it seems to happen after I've been stuck behind a tractor or a 40mph lorry, and I suppose I do use the car for short journeys around work. You have certainly set my mind at rest - hence the reason I subscribe to forums Very Happy

RE: Hot Brakes/Clutch? - PhilSkill - 06-11-2013 11:01pm

Also note if the filter fails to regenerate properly a light can come up on the dash, this means dont stop and switch off but continue to drive, preferably at speed to complete the cycle, but its not something to worry about and in 2 years i've not seen this, but I also dont do much town driving.

Hot Brakes/Clutch? - z4alfie - 14-12-2013 11:03pm

Parking brake stuck on.......? Had this issue four times, same symptoms