babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
"claying" paint overspray on windows, windshield - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Detailing & Car Care (/Forum-Detailing-Car-Care)
+--- Thread: "claying" paint overspray on windows, windshield (/Thread-claying-paint-overspray-on-windows-windshield)

"claying" paint overspray on windows, windshield - Bruno787 - 10-04-2013 12:10pm

i forgot to cover my evoque while somebody was painting another car, now its got paint overspray all over.

i plan on claying the front windshield, and side door glass to remove the overspray.

Will this also remove the "hydrophobic coating" on the front door glass???

RE: "claying" paint overspray on windows, windshield - XFullFatTim - 10-04-2013 06:39pm

This sounds like a question that might be best sent to Liam@LandRover to put to the technical guys

RE: "claying" paint overspray on windows, windshield - doug - 10-04-2013 09:49pm

I would say using a "mild" clay bar with lots of lubricant would be safe.
Never clayed glass before, but used correct it won't strip a paint sealant. The self cleaning glass is made to last the life of the vehicle, but will start to break down as the years pass by. The worst that can happen is that you shorten it's life.

I have tried applying a glass sealant on the top of self cleaning glass once Confused Big mistake, it wouldn't dry. Ended up using a 50% mix of IPA to remove it.

RE: "claying" paint overspray on windows, windshield - Donny Dog - 11-04-2013 09:46am

I've fetched recent over-sprayed paint off before now just with a firm rub. If that fails, a mild solvent should do it.

I had a spray job done on my car when my wife accidentally ran into it(!), and they left a large amount of spray on un-masked areas under a wheel arch, including painted metal, black plastic, and rubber. I got it all off with white spirit. Failing that, the most 'aggressive' solvent that you can get on the High Street is probably Acetone (available in Wilkinson's) and that will shift most forms[/u] of paint.

RE: "claying" paint overspray on windows, windshield - Bruno787 - 11-04-2013 02:48pm

just remembered the most basic technique for removing glass contaminants............."cutter blade"! never fails!