babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
SD4 Engine flat spot - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: SD4 Engine flat spot (/Thread-SD4-Engine-flat-spot)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: SD4 Engine flat spot - benzina - 26-03-2014 04:54am

And according to ''What Car'' latest magazine test comparison - 2014 Evoque SD4 9-Speed Auto vs Volvo XC60 vs BMW X3
regarding the Evoques 9 speed Auto, it seems it is still suffering from that junction lag.

Quote from the mag....."The Range Rover is quieter around town and has an equally muscular mid-range,but it switches up and down it's nine ratios regularly,and not necessarily when you want it to. There's also often a lengthy pause between you pressing the accelerator pedal and the Evoque responding,which isn't ideal when pulling out of junctions."

RE: SD4 Engine flat spot - XFullFatTim - 26-03-2014 10:23am

This lag can be circumvented manually pulling the -/downshift paddle forcing the car to pull away in 1st rather than 2nd - it might also work by using Sand Mode on the TR which has a launch control system...............

RE: SD4 Engine flat spot - m_101 - 26-03-2014 05:31pm

Tim, the guy at the LR experience described sand mode on TR to me as initially being quite a slow pull-away to get on top of the sand, and then immediately flooring it to stay there, so might not be ideal.
Agreed pulling the downshift paddle to use first does circumvent it manually but the revs rise rapidly in this mode. I have one motorway junction on the way to work where I slow from 70 to standstill and then need to pull onto a roundabout which is a 40 limit, the car typically uses first if I stop completely and the revs are at 3k by 10mph or so.

RE: SD4 Engine flat spot - XFullFatTim - 26-03-2014 05:44pm

Yes, that sounds right because once you have pulled a paddle the gearbox stays in manual over-ride until you switch back to D (if you were in S) or for ,IIRC, 30 secs before reverting to full auto. So to avoid the sky high revs you need to pull the + paddle to initiate a couple of up changes

RE: SD4 Engine flat spot - m_101 - 26-03-2014 05:51pm

sorry yes, I meant you need to pull the paddle pretty quickly to get it to upshift so you don't lunch your engine.
To be honest I have just adopted a much more sedate driving style in town! I use the motorbike for speed and the car for comfort and distance.

RE: SD4 Engine flat spot - XFullFatTim - 26-03-2014 06:02pm

You won't cook the engine, the ECU is set to perform an automatic upshift just before the rev limiter cuts in. I agree about the more sedate mode - a lot of RRS and FFRR owners who came from BMW's to those cars regularly used to comment that their driving technique changed completely in an RRS or FFRR - they felt they didn't need to rush everywhere - the journey was an event worth prolonging!

SD4 Engine flat spot - Stadt Panzer - 26-03-2014 07:17pm

(26-03-2014 05:51pm)m_101 Wrote:  To be honest I have just adopted a much more sedate driving style in town! I use the motorbike for speed and the car for comfort and distance.

+1

Looking at getting a new bike, lose the ZXR and get the RR from BMW, only problem is that in Germany I'm looking at around 17,000 euros. Which her in doors is not smiling about.

Suppose I could get her a new car then the bike Wink

RE: SD4 Engine flat spot - m_101 - 26-03-2014 11:15pm

I ride a street triple R - I was going a bit too quick for my liking on my old daytona so thought something more sit-up would make me slow down. so much for that idea, didn't work at all! But wouldn't go back as I love the new bike and it's much easier to ride around town and to work etc.

I love journeys in mine - way more so than when driving almost anything I've driven before! Love the comfort and ease of getting from A to B

RE: SD4 Engine flat spot - speary - 27-03-2014 09:12am

Auto lag problem fixed. Buy a manual. Simples Rolling EyesVery Happy

RE: SD4 Engine flat spot - XFullFatTim - 27-03-2014 10:51am

This is the 21st century, why stir a stick on the floor to make progress............ anyway you can shift the gears manually in an auto Evoque if you really have to.