babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Swapping Halogen units to BiXenon - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Technical (/Forum-Technical)
+--- Thread: Swapping Halogen units to BiXenon (/Thread-Swapping-Halogen-units-to-BiXenon)

Pages: 1 2

Swapping Halogen units to BiXenon - daveo - 24-07-2012 04:23pm

Hi techy boffins,

Maybe someone is able to tell me if it is possible to do a straight swap of headlight units without any other clever box of tricks or major reworks.

I'm talking about changing out the Halogen units for the BiXenon units. Are connectors the same and are they both plug and play units? Is there anything else I need to know about the set up and am I likely to get any nasty surprises?

Thanks in advance.

David

RE: Swapping Halogen units to BiXenon - BRO-T - 24-07-2012 04:38pm

I'm by far no expert, but I would have thought the BiXenon would require washer jets. these would be a separate install requiring cutting of the bumper.

RE: Swapping Halogen units to BiXenon - daveo - 24-07-2012 04:42pm

(24-07-2012 04:38pm)BRO-T Wrote:  I'm by far no expert, but I would have thought the BiXenon would require washer jets. these would be a separate install requiring cutting of the bumper.
Not sure its essential to have a wash system is it?

RE: Swapping Halogen units to BiXenon - WB - 24-07-2012 05:12pm

(24-07-2012 04:42pm)daveo Wrote:  Not sure its essential to have a wash system is it?

It's a legal requirement in the UK as is automatic headlamp levelling - don't know if they're required in Germany.

RE: Swapping Halogen units to BiXenon - XFullFatTim - 25-07-2012 03:56pm

If its a legal requirement in the UK then it will have been imposed by Brussels so will apply throughout the EU. I also imagine that in Germany you would render your insurance void making such a change as it then no longer compiles with the very strict TUV vehicle rules

RE: Swapping Halogen units to BiXenon - daveo - 26-07-2012 02:55pm

I will check with the workshop I think. Thanks for the input though!

(25-07-2012 03:56pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  If its a legal requirement in the UK then it will have been imposed by Brussels so will apply throughout the EU. I also imagine that in Germany you would render your insurance void making such a change as it then no longer compiles with the very strict TUV vehicle rules

RE: Swapping Halogen units to BiXenon - bell-auto-services - 02-08-2012 12:40am

It may need activation on the BCU to allow it or if not the lights may come on and go off as if it were a fault.

Pete

RE: Swapping Halogen units to BiXenon - BFGEvoqueMan - 02-08-2012 07:47pm

I can confirm 100% that xenon lights are not plug and play. The DRL/side light function works and thew shutter will click from low to high beam, but there is nil output from the dipped/main bulb; not even a flicking on and off.ConfusedConfused

RE: Swapping Halogen units to BiXenon - Marconi2 - 07-08-2012 07:14pm

Hi all

one comment Dont try to change headlights to bi xenon on a pure

I have just gone through the process with my dealer on my "yet to be delivered Pure tech" they changed the light units and I had been told it was just a matter of flashing the module to tell it they were now Bi-Xenon.
WRONG !!
1 there is no module it would have to be fitted
2 there are also level sensors needed at each suspension for the auto leveling
3 even worse as dealer was going to fit the missing bits if only there had been any wiring in the loom to do it sorry these days are not like the old Allegro. they searched my car for tucked away connections but to no avail
4 if you ordered the Tech pach with your pure you get the headlamp wash anyway so that would cover the legal requirement
so I am back to Halogens all I wanted was the signature led DRL's which no one told me i would not get with the halogen units I would have speced at order if i had been told.

So if anyone out there can tell me that the wiring is there then let me know quick so i can get my lights done, but i think you will find that it is missing from the main body loom unless you order from scratch.

SD4 Pure Tech auto 5dr Firenze red, Almond leather , espresso trim Privacy glass , pano roof, reverse cam, front fogs, seat upgrade memory, fold mirrors, auto dip int mirror,removable tow bar ( collecting 8/8/12 )Very HappyVery Happy ordered 14/3/12 )

RE: Swapping Halogen units to BiXenon - daveo - 13-08-2012 01:33pm

Thanks all, I've given up on that idea for good reason! I have ordered some Philips bulbs instead so will hope for a brighter outlook then!