babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Filling with Fuel - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Filling with Fuel (/Thread-Filling-with-Fuel--4866)

Pages: 1 2

Filling with Fuel - Kentboy - 14-07-2012 08:06am

When filling up with Diesel for the first time the filler vented a continuous stream of vapour like a mist as I was filling......is that normal?

It also felt as if the pump should go further into the filler cap but it was restricted. It felt so 'wrong' that at first I panicked thinking I was miss fuelling but then I knew that wasn't possible on the Evoque.

Is this normal?

RE: Filling with Fuel - cjfp - 14-07-2012 08:13am

Vapour - dunno, will keep eye out at next fill but can't say that I've seen similar to date.

Pump does not go in very far (compared to my other cars) and does feel funny, but you do get used to it.

RE: Filling with Fuel - Kentboy - 14-07-2012 08:18am

(14-07-2012 08:13am)cjfp Wrote:  Vapour - dunno, will keep eye out at next fill but can't say that I've seen similar to date.

Pump does not go in very far (compared to my other cars) and does feel funny, but you do get used to it.

If it happens to you I think you would have noticed it as its very very obvious. It almost looked dangerous as vapour must be very inflammable.

RE: Filling with Fuel - cjfp - 14-07-2012 08:20am

Was it an 'angle of dangle' thing? Ie did it get better / worse as you changed the angle of the pump in the whole. Or, although the pump doesn't go in far, are you sure it was in as far as it could be?

RE: Filling with Fuel - NightFox - 14-07-2012 08:27am

(14-07-2012 08:18am)Kentboy Wrote:  If it happens to you I think you would have noticed it as its very very obvious. It almost looked dangerous as vapour must be very inflammable.

I've sometimes seen visible vapour venting off when I've filled various diesel cars I've owned - I'm not sure why it sometimes does it, I've wondered if it's perhaps when there's a difference in the temperature between the new fuel and that already in the tank. I'm guessing that this always happens, it's just that most of the time you can't see it (like condensation when you breathe on a cold day).

I've noticed in some parts of the US, diesel pumps actually have a wide 'cup' that seals over the whole filler with an extractor pipe to stop this vapour entering the atmosphere.

RE: Filling with Fuel - ChuckieB - 14-07-2012 09:10am

(14-07-2012 08:13am)cjfp Wrote:  Vapour - dunno, will keep eye out at next fill but can't say that I've seen similar to date.

Certainly had me wondering on my first fill up or 2. Still giving it a wiggle just to check

RE: Filling with Fuel - RacingSnake - 14-07-2012 11:03am

(14-07-2012 08:18am)Kentboy Wrote:  It almost looked dangerous as vapour must be very inflammable.
Dont worry, Diesel isn't flammable.

Filling with Fuel - Barneyridge - 14-07-2012 11:21am

Yes I have notice this. It happens for me generally in the afternoon rather than the morning

RE: Filling with Fuel - PhilSkill - 14-07-2012 12:10pm

Not seen any vapour myself but I would imagine this is likely to happen when the fuel has been agitated a lot or you've driven a reasonable distance before opening the fuel filler or the temperature differs from tank to ambient air, The nosel doesn't go fully in as there is the incorrect fuel trap in the filler pipe, But don't rely on this device it's not fool proof just an aide.

RE: Filling with Fuel - XFullFatTim - 14-07-2012 12:16pm

The mis-fuelling preventer is definitely not a 100% fool-proof device as several owners here have found out the hard way. Although how they managed to misfuel passed the device is beyond me, they must have really forced the filler nozzle down the fuel filler and broken the sensor that operates the flap. What is there to prevent misfuelling is very good but not infallible.

btw i don't mean to belittle those that have had this happen to them or imply that THEY are fools, I do sincerely mean the device isn't as good as it might be if it is still possible to get round it by whatever means EmbarrassedEmbarrassed It must be a horrible experience to find you have put the wrong fuel into you car