babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Paddle Shift. - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Paddle Shift. (/Thread-Paddle-Shift)

Paddle Shift. - The Valeter - 22-04-2012 06:10pm

I played with the paddle shift yesterday for pretty much the first time. I clicked it & it went into 2nd gear but stayed there! Is that normal?

RE: Paddle Shift. - gw76 - 22-04-2012 06:34pm

Unless you change it then yes, or you hold the right hand one to reset and switch off.

RE: Paddle Shift. - RacingSnake - 22-04-2012 06:48pm

in 'D' it will change at the rev limiter.

RE: Paddle Shift. - simonc - 23-04-2012 12:59pm

In D it will revert to automatic mode after a short period, in S it will stay in command shift mode until you hold either paddle for a second or so to deactivate command shift mode.

RE: Paddle Shift. - Claud - 23-04-2012 08:22pm

Simonc, thanks for hold the paddle advice in S mode Thumbs Up, I have been rotating the gearbox selector to D to to take out of command shift mode which is a faff.

RE: Paddle Shift. - The Valeter - 23-04-2012 08:33pm

(23-04-2012 12:59pm)simonc Wrote:  In D it will revert to automatic mode after a short period, in S it will stay in command shift mode until you hold either paddle for a second or so to deactivate command shift mode.

That is what I thought but when I held the paddle it didn't change. Confused

RE: Paddle Shift. - XFullFatTim - 23-04-2012 10:43pm

According to the online owner's manual in Topix when in Sport setting holding the + paddle for 1 second will take you out of command shift and return you to Sport mode auto (i.e. it won't shift gear until the rev limiter is reached) The paddles will not shift you back into D you have to do that manually by rotating the selector from S to D. If you are in command shift the manual states you have to manually shift gears using the paddles, unless you take the revs up to the limiter when it will shift up a gear to prevent engine/ gearbox damage.

So D = fully auto gearbox with option to manually shift using the paddles
S = manual gearbox will only shift up when you pull the +paddle or the rev limiter is reached
In S mode pulling the + paddle after manually shifting returns you to full bore rev limiter limited auto changes

It sounds mad but if you are off road in the auto then to have more control over the gearbox you should use Command Shift in Sport mode and "manually" shift gears up and down - this was how it used to be done with the old style auto selector - move the lever to the left into "tiptronic" mode (aka Command Shift in Land Rover Speak) and use the +/- of the tiptronic to manually hold gears for better engine braking going down hill - I would also suggest that in the winter in the TR GGS setting this might also be preferable than leaving the gearbox in the D setting

RE: Paddle Shift. - simonc - 24-04-2012 11:57am

Normal (non-command shift) S mode doesn't wait till you hit the rev limiter to change up (though it does hold onto gears longer than D) - it's only if you are in S and in command shift mode that it will wait till you hit the rev limiter before changing.