babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Snow - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Photos & Video (/Forum-Photos-Video)
+--- Thread: Snow (/Thread-Snow--3823)

Pages: 1 2

Snow - J77 - 03-04-2012 02:35pm

Woke up this morning to find the place covered in snow. As I haven't tried the the Evoque in the snow I decided to go out for a drive along some back roads that I knew would have a good covering. Overall it coped brilliantly, first using grass/gravel/snow for some of the lighter stuff but as it got deeper I found mud and ruts to be better and the HDC worked a treat on the downhill sections. What never fails to impress me is LRs Terrain Response, once the tyres were completely clogged with snow the TR still found grip even when I stopped half way up a hill, the Evoque just moved of as normal without any slip of the wheels.

Here are a few pics

[Image: 2635cb44.jpg]
[Image: d5b97ef1.jpg]

A winter wonderland

[Image: d51e28c3.jpg]

RE: Snow - XFullFatTim - 03-04-2012 02:39pm

It's been the same over here west of Stirling and down at 30m above sea level, the sun is now out and the lower level stuff has all gone but the Aberfoyle Alps and the Southern Highlands looked fantastic with a thick, even coating of snow an hour ago when I drove back from town.

RE: Snow - Ianpembs - 03-04-2012 02:51pm

Pure looks great in Fuji, What difference did you find between the sand and mud and ruts settings? I still find it frustrating that this important function of the car (a major selling Point) does not seem to be fully explained in manual. Is there a max speed these settings can be used at?

I have a Freelander 2 with same and a RRE SD4 Prestige on order

RE: Snow - J77 - 03-04-2012 03:30pm

There isn't much info on the settings, it's just by playing around you find out what works.

RE: Snow - IKM - 03-04-2012 05:55pm

(03-04-2012 02:51pm)Ianpembs Wrote:  Pure looks great in Fuji, What difference did you find between the sand and mud and ruts settings? I still find it frustrating that this important function of the car (a major selling Point) does not seem to be fully explained in manual. Is there a max speed these settings can be used at?

I have a Freelander 2 with same and a RRE SD4 Prestige on order
No max speed, just as fast as you can safely drive at, which will be a lot less than in normal conditions.

RE: Snow - Ianpembs - 03-04-2012 07:06pm

It would be nice to know though what the settings are adjusting as proven by J77 that the mud and ruts was a better setting in deeper snow than the snow setting itself, it just seems a bit strange that you get full in depth instructions for other bits but the part the whole vehicle is built around just gets a brief over view. I think it important to know if throttle has more play etc so you can adjust your driving accordingly or perhaps it does not do alot and maybe hence the secrecy. Ive tried the different settings in my Freelander2 in various off road situation and to be honest not noticed any difference would just like to know what it is doing.

Also gone for OG RRE to replace my 2010 Freelander GS Stornaway Grey in Aug

RE: Snow - Cedric - 03-04-2012 07:30pm

The weather in Scotland was on the news here. Great pictures!

Were you still using winter tyres?

RE: Snow - Donny Dog - 03-04-2012 09:15pm

(03-04-2012 07:06pm)Ianpembs Wrote:  Ive tried the different settings in my Freelander2 in various off road situation and to be honest not noticed any difference would just like to know what it is doing.

I had a Land Rover Experience day, and not only couldn't I detect any difference between the settings, the instructor couldn't really demonstrate any difference either, largely because the car performed more than adequately in all the settings in the most extreme conditions that were available to try. Either they don't make that much difference or you have to push the car much harder and in more difficult terrain to notice. Strangely, he got me to try the 'correct' and 'incorrect' settings descending a slippery grass bank, and even he agreed that the 'incorrect' setting was best! Indeed, he said that it proved the training he got wasn't always correct. What I took out of the day was (a) that the car is unlikely to let me down even in difficult terrain, (b) I probably wouldn't, or couldn't, ever take full advantage of the various terrain options, and © in the unlikely circumstances where the car was struggling, it would be 'suck it and see' as regards which terrain option was best.

RE: Snow - J77 - 03-04-2012 10:09pm

(03-04-2012 07:30pm)Cedric Wrote:  The weather in Scotland was on the news here. Great pictures!

Were you still using winter tyres?

It's running on the tyres that it came with.

The main difference between GGS and Mud and Ruts is that the GGS setting dampens the throttle response so makes the car feel sluggish but this to control slip of the wheel. GGS worked well, I was just playing around to see what difference it would make. I wasn't brave enough to try Sand. Overall the car performed excellent in both the settings I tried. I think when you get into deep snow you need a bit more power to keep momentum and prevent wheel spin and this is what Mud and Ruts provides over GGS. I am no expert and what I have just said is maybe a lot of rubbish but either setting it was great fun.

What I would say is I think it works that little bit better in auto cars as it can change the way the gearbox works.

RE: Snow - XFullFatTim - 03-04-2012 10:52pm

On the first version of TR the Sand setting was much better in snow than the GGS setting but since the boffins at LR changed the settings of the Sand mode and added the "launch control" to it it isn't so good in snow.