babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Rear camera / parking aids display - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: In Car Electronics (/Forum-In-Car-Electronics)
+--- Thread: Rear camera / parking aids display (/Thread-Rear-camera-parking-aids-display)

Pages: 1 2

Rear camera / parking aids display - simonc - 26-03-2012 03:06pm

Had my evoque a couple of weeks now but one thing I can't quite figure out - am I supposed to be able to switch between the rear view camera and an overall parking aids display? The manual (p. 105) suggests that I should by briefly touching the screen - but all that seems to do is bring up the toggle options for the various guides that overlay the rear camera (which the manual says should appear when touching and holding down on the screen rather than a single press).

I'm sure I recall reading a thread which suggested those without the rear view camera but with the front/rear parking sensors get a top/down view of the evoque with graphical indication of how close you are to obstacles both at the front and rear of the car (I think there was even a picture of that display). Unfortunately I can't seem to find the thread at all anymore. I thought it was also suggested it is possible for those with the rear camera to switch between the rear camera view and this display (as the manual implies), or was this only for full surround cameras?

There are occasions when I would appreciate seeing graphically how close the front of the car (especially the corner) is getting to obstacles rather than relying on the beeps - especially while I'm getting used to the size of the car compared to my previous one. Anyone know?

RE: Rear camera / parking aids display - PhilSkill - 26-03-2012 08:57pm

Not seen any graphical representation, only blocks in the detector areas on the rear camera display that go pink, then red, then Bang!

RE: Rear camera / parking aids display - Donny Dog - 26-03-2012 08:59pm

(26-03-2012 03:06pm)simonc Wrote:  Had my evoque a couple of weeks now but one thing I can't quite figure out - am I supposed to be able to switch between the rear view camera and an overall parking aids display? The manual (p. 105) suggests that I should by briefly touching the screen - but all that seems to do is bring up the toggle options for the various guides that overlay the rear camera (which the manual says should appear when touching and holding down on the screen rather than a single press).

I'm sure I recall reading a thread which suggested those without the rear view camera but with the front/rear parking sensors get a top/down view of the evoque with graphical indication of how close you are to obstacles both at the front and rear of the car (I think there was even a picture of that display). Unfortunately I can't seem to find the thread at all anymore. I thought it was also suggested it is possible for those with the rear camera to switch between the rear camera view and this display (as the manual implies), or was this only for full surround cameras?

There are occasions when I would appreciate seeing graphically how close the front of the car (especially the corner) is getting to obstacles rather than relying on the beeps - especially while I'm getting used to the size of the car compared to my previous one. Anyone know?

Not quite sure what you've got fitted, but, with the full set of cameras, yes, you can. I suggest making 'cameras' one of your favourites on the home page for quick entry. Then, assuming you are not in reverse, you can get all the other views, enlarge any individually or in pairs, etc. One I personally find useful is 'kerb view'. This comes under 'special views', and is ideal for parking or passing in narrow areas, or watching low kerbs when slow manoeuvering. (However, if you are wanting to look at the other cameras while you are in reverse - no you can't). The other issue which might be confusing you is that you have to select forward radar sensors by pressing the switch, but, if you are, or have been, using reverse, they come on automatically.

RE: Rear camera / parking aids display - PhilSkill - 26-03-2012 09:27pm

I only have reverse camera Big Cry
Laughing

RE: Rear camera / parking aids display - XFullFatTim - 26-03-2012 10:00pm

(26-03-2012 08:59pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  The other issue which might be confusing you is that you have to select forward radar sensors by pressing the switch, but, if you are, or have been, using reverse, they come on automatically.
And is quite an annoying "feature" too, although if I am in town and car passes within a metre or a pedestrian walks close in front of the car the front PDC often peeps away, but when I most need it it remains resolutely silent!

RE: Rear camera / parking aids display - simonc - 26-03-2012 10:02pm

I only have reverse camera too - I'm talking about being able to replace the camera view entirely with a graphical representation of the car and coloured "wafers" that indicate how close obstacles are to both the front and rear of the car and to which sensor (useful for knowing which bit of the car the beeps are indicating are close to an obstacle). Not sure how best else to describe it but I'm sure I saw a picture of it somewhere though! It's similar to the representation my dad's old BMW got though.

Oh and I know about the front sensors needing to be manually selected, but thanks for pointing it out Smile

RE: Rear camera / parking aids display - doug - 26-03-2012 10:13pm

I know what you mean. It's been called the "birds eye view" in threads before. I only have the rear view camera added after market working though one of Pete's special boxes. So now it shows the camera view once reverse is selected & touch the screen to switch to the Birds eye view. Before I fitted the camera system it just showed the birds eye view.

RE: Rear camera / parking aids display - Donny Dog - 26-03-2012 10:13pm

(26-03-2012 10:02pm)simonc Wrote:  I only have reverse camera too - I'm talking about being able to replace the camera view entirely with a graphical representation of the car and coloured "wafers" that indicate how close obstacles are to both the front and rear of the car and to which sensor (useful for knowing which bit of the car the beeps are indicating are close to an obstacle). Not sure how best else to describe it but I'm sure I saw a picture of it somewhere though! It's similar to the representation my dad's old BMW got though.

That rings a bell with me, but, if I've got this function, I haven't found it yet!

(26-03-2012 10:13pm)doug Wrote:  I know what you mean. It's been called the "birds eye view" in threads before. I only have the rear view camera added after market working though one of Pete's special boxes. So now it shows the camera view once reverse is selected & touch the screen to switch to the Birds eye view. Before I fitted the camera system it just showed the birds eye view.

That's a camera generated view, though, not by parking sensors (unless they come on as well, and I just haven't got close enough to anything to find out??).

RE: Rear camera / parking aids display - XFullFatTim - 26-03-2012 10:17pm

The front ones only beep even when you have surround cams, you don't get a picture on the screen unless you select the front cams. The front and rear PDC's are also different tones so you know which is which. The Prius and some lexus give a birds eye view on their systems

RE: Rear camera / parking aids display - doug - 26-03-2012 10:21pm

(26-03-2012 10:13pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  That rings a bell with me, but, if I've got this function, I haven't found it yet!

That's a camera generated view, though, not by parking sensors (unless they come on as well, and I just haven't got close enough to anything to find out??).

The view I have is a generated view of the car from above & when the front or rear sensors pick anything up, they start showing orange than red lines in front of where the sensors are.