babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Is dealer applied paint protection really that bad? - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Detailing & Car Care (/Forum-Detailing-Car-Care)
+--- Thread: Is dealer applied paint protection really that bad? (/Thread-Is-dealer-applied-paint-protection-really-that-bad)

Is dealer applied paint protection really that bad? - Firenze - 25-02-2012 11:56pm

Popped in to my dealer today and great news my Dynamic is built and should be delivered next week but I now have to make a decision on wether to have the dealer apply Aglaze paint protection or have a local Gtecniq detailer do his stuff and apply C1 etc.

At the dealers they had a Dynamic exactly the same spec and colour as mine and it looked really well presented with no swirl marks on the black pillar trim (a problem mentioned on this forum) and the paintwork looked really good and felt nice and smooth and glossy.

So my question is will a detailer really do a much better job than my dealer?

RE: Is dealer applied paint protection really that bad? - cjfp - 25-02-2012 11:59pm

Probably and dealer price is normally a rip off.

I'm not into 'detailing' like a number of people on here, but my dealer wanted £399 for the same thing my local valet did for £125 and he spent hours on it and I'm really pleased.

RE: Is dealer applied paint protection really that bad? - doug - 26-02-2012 12:01am

Without knowing your dealer, the answer has to be YES.
If your paying a local firm to apply the Gtechinq, they will spent the time doing the right job

RE: Is dealer applied paint protection really that bad? - LDT - 26-02-2012 12:02am

Congratulations on getting your car early Firenze, look forward to seeing the pics.

RE: Is dealer applied paint protection really that bad? - Firenze - 26-02-2012 12:16am

(26-02-2012 12:02am)LDT Wrote:  Congratulations on getting your car early Firenze, look forward to seeing the pics.

Yeah I was really pleased that it has been built, the earliest I may be able to pick it up is next Saturday but its more likely to be the following week sometime - cant wait! Very Happy

RE: Is dealer applied paint protection really that bad? - The Valeter - 26-02-2012 12:32am

The protections applied by a dealer are fine so log as they are applied properly which is generally not the case as it is rushed & done in a fraction of the time you need to do it properly, that is assuming it is done in the first place.
When I apply these products I book the car in as the only job for that day so it takes as long as it takes. You will be lucky to have 20 minutes spent on it from a dealer!

RE: Is dealer applied paint protection really that bad? - XFullFatTim - 26-02-2012 10:20am

Having been definitely in the "sceptic" camp for paint protection schemes for many many years I have to admit that the Gard-X system applied to my car was worth what I paid for it, which was less than the cost of having it detailed and it will last a lot longer than a detailing. The only "problem" with it is tar still sticks to the body and round here at the moment the council is doing a lot of pot-hole maintenance to repair the ravages of winter and twice in the last week I have collected a load of little black spots along the lower door panels

RE: Is dealer applied paint protection really that bad? - Rootsboy - 26-02-2012 10:48am

i think you would be better of getting the Gtechniq guys to do your car, i have slowly moved over to there products and i have been more then happy, more so with how there products work on the plastic and rubber trim.

oh and i think the paintwork, would more like be prepared correctly before the products go on.

RE: Is dealer applied paint protection really that bad? - Mag1c_dragon - 26-02-2012 11:16am

I had similar product applied on my SLK thrown in as a freebie and it was awful. O am sot even sure it was applied properly. It looed good when I picked it up, but that was the only time!

I washed my car yesterday and it has swirls on the black pillars (it came delivered like that) and although you can't really see it on the white paint there are already swirls on the bodywork too. I think I am going to invest in it getting detailed and a proper protection treatment applied.

RE: Is dealer applied paint protection really that bad? - WB - 26-02-2012 02:19pm

(26-02-2012 10:20am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Having been definitely in the "sceptic" camp for paint protection schemes for many many years I have to admit that the Gard-X system applied to my car was worth what I paid for it, which was less than the cost of having it detailed and it will last a lot longer than a detailing. The only "problem" with it is tar still sticks to the body and round here at the moment the council is doing a lot of pot-hole maintenance to repair the ravages of winter and twice in the last week I have collected a load of little black spots along the lower door panels

Have to disagree with you there. Decent products like gtechniq and cquartz come with real guarantees and are scientifically proven unlike anything I've ever seen offers by dealers. They also don't typically cost more than the dealer products
(26-02-2012 11:16am)Mag1c_dragon Wrote:  I had similar product applied on my SLK thrown in as a freebie and it was awful. O am sot even sure it was applied properly. It looed good when I picked it up, but that was the only time!

I washed my car yesterday and it has swirls on the black pillars (it came delivered like that) and although you can't really see it on the white paint there are already swirls on the bodywork too. I think I am going to invest in it getting detailed and a proper protection treatment applied.

I learned the hard way by wasting money on having my slk treated...
The gloss pillars are a nightmare on the evoque - get them polished professionally and sealed with a good product