babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
How to build a Range Rover Evoque - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: How to build a Range Rover Evoque (/Thread-How-to-build-a-Range-Rover-Evoque)

Pages: 1 2 3

How to build a Range Rover Evoque - flurberman - 22-02-2012 10:28am

http://cars.uk.msn.com/features/how-to-build-a-range-rover-evoque-5

Article on Halewood.

RE: How to build a Range Rover Evoque - Donny Dog - 22-02-2012 11:15am

(22-02-2012 10:28am)flurberman Wrote:  http://cars.uk.msn.com/features/how-to-build-a-range-rover-evoque-5

Article on Halewood.

Really good piece, thanks for the link.

I also followed a further link to their Evoque v. Infiniti test. Confusingly, they appear to have tested a Dynamic but state, descriptively, that it wasn't fitted with adaptive dynamics. How can that be?

RE: How to build a Range Rover Evoque - WB - 22-02-2012 11:25am

(22-02-2012 11:15am)Donny Dog Wrote:  Really good piece, thanks for the link.

I also followed a further link to their Evoque v. Infiniti test. Confusingly, they appear to have tested a Dynamic but state, descriptively, that it wasn't fitted with adaptive dynamics. How can that be?

Its a press car - note the 11 plate and that it wasn't fitted with 20" wheels because the press feedback given to LR was that they preferred the ride of the standard suspension on the 19" wheels and I tend to agree with them.

If I could have bought a dynamic without AD I would have done.

RE: How to build a Range Rover Evoque - Donny Dog - 22-02-2012 11:34am

(22-02-2012 11:25am)WB Wrote:  Its a press car - note the 11 plate and that it wasn't fitted with 20" wheels because the press feedback given to LR was that they preferred the ride of the standard suspension on the 19" wheels and I tend to agree with them.

If I could have bought a dynamic without AD I would have done.

Thanks. I hadn't noticed the wheels (not that observant!). Did they make a special Evoque just for the press, then?

I've got a Prestige coming early March, and didn't specify adaptive dynamics on the dealer's advice. However, since joining this forum and reading comments about it, I have regretted the decision. You are the first person who has suggested that they would prefer it without (which is therefore encouraging!). Why do you feel like that about it?

RE: How to build a Range Rover Evoque - XFullFatTim - 22-02-2012 11:39am

The press fleet pre-launch were all pre-production cars with all sorts of weird specs. In theory they have all gone to an environmentally friendly scrappy by now.

RE: How to build a Range Rover Evoque - ED209 - 22-02-2012 11:41am

It mentions a lot of suppliers being in the North east, I would love to know who and where these are?

RE: How to build a Range Rover Evoque - WB - 22-02-2012 11:50am

(22-02-2012 11:34am)Donny Dog Wrote:  Thanks. I hadn't noticed the wheels (not that observant!). Did they make a special Evoque just for the press, then?

I've got a Prestige coming early March, and didn't specify adaptive dynamics on the dealer's advice. However, since joining this forum and reading comments about it, I have regretted the decision. You are the first person who has suggested that they would prefer it without (which is therefore encouraging!). Why do you feel like that about it?

At the Evoque unleashed event both my wife and I preferred the body kit on the dynamic but didn't like the interior however as we were in two minds we spoke to the LR folks there and were directed to one of the senior product team who we had a very long chat with and he agreed to let us go on a second run in the Dynamic to compare as I was unsure about the ride having come from a BMW M with low profile tyres and sports suspension that crashed about all over london roads.

On the drive I found the firmer AD ride great when throwing it around a corner (but I don't do that often in normal driving) but found the regular drive (albeit on 20" wheels) wasn't as comfortable as the prestige on 19" with standard suspension which we'd driven first. I also found it fidgety over bumps and road surfaces that were not smooth.

Upon our return to the unleashed event I had another long chat with the product manager who was very interested in my feedback and told me it was very similar to early press feedback which was why press cars both with and without AD had 19" wheels and that the press had preferred the non AD ride. Unfortunately they didn't have any cars with 19" wheels and AD to compare with.

I think if you do most of your driving on smooth country lanes and are going to chuck the evoque around at very spirited speeds then the AD is the way to go. Most of my driving is in the city and on motorways so for me the AD made no sense.

Just my 2 pence.

RE: How to build a Range Rover Evoque - Donny Dog - 22-02-2012 12:00pm

(22-02-2012 11:50am)WB Wrote:  At the Evoque unleashed event both my wife and I preferred the body kit on the dynamic but didn't like the interior however as we were in two minds we spoke to the LR folks there and were directed to one of the senior product team who we had a very long chat with and he agreed to let us go on a second run in the Dynamic to compare as I was unsure about the ride having come from a BMW M with low profile tyres and sports suspension that crashed about all over london roads.

On the drive I found the firmer AD ride great when throwing it around a corner (but I don't do that often in normal driving) but found the regular drive (albeit on 20" wheels) wasn't as comfortable as the prestige on 19" with standard suspension which we'd driven first. I also found it fidgety over bumps and road surfaces that were not smooth.

Upon our return to the unleashed event I had another long chat with the product manager who was very interested in my feedback and told me it was very similar to early press feedback which was why press cars both with and without AD had 19" wheels and that the press had preferred the non AD ride. Unfortunately they didn't have any cars with 19" wheels and AD to compare with.

I think if you do most of your driving on smooth country lanes and are going to chuck the evoque around at very spirited speeds then the AD is the way to go. Most of my driving is in the city and on motorways so for me the AD made no sense.

Just my 2 pence.

Thanks for that useful feedback. Incidentally, I've never driven a Dynamic or a Prestige with AD.

My driving is a hybrid of both your descriptions, in that I drive on a lot of rough roads (including potholes etc.) plus town and motorway. I never push a car hard or corner fast, and wouldn't have used the Dynamic setting. My chief concern was/is which would be better on the rough roads and potholes. (Being a Prestige, it would have been on 19" wheels either way). Given this mix of driving, what do you reckon would have been best? (The question is now academic, as it's due to be built on Friday, but it might put my mind at rest on the issue!).

RE: How to build a Range Rover Evoque - WB - 22-02-2012 12:03pm

(22-02-2012 12:00pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  Thanks for that useful feedback. Incidentally, I've never driven a Dynamic or a Prestige with AD.

My driving is a hybrid of both your descriptions, in that I drive on a lot of rough roads (including potholes etc.) plus town and motorway. I never push a car hard or corner fast, and wouldn't have used the Dynamic setting. My chief concern was/is which would be better on the rough roads and potholes. (Being a Prestige, it would have been on 19" wheels either way). Given this mix of driving, what do you reckon would have been best? (The question is now academic, as it's due to be built on Friday, but it might put my mind at rest on the issue!).

I think you'll be very happy with your choice of 19" wheels and standard suspension. I'm very impressed with mine on rough roads and pot holes and found this combination far more comfortable than the AD I test drove.

In theory I could see that AD could be tuned for comfort but in the case of the Evoque I think it has been tuned for a sporty firmer ride rather than comfort.

RE: How to build a Range Rover Evoque - chiggy - 22-02-2012 12:12pm

Interesting read.