babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Advice please - Speedo change - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Technical (/Forum-Technical)
+--- Thread: Advice please - Speedo change (/Thread-Advice-please-Speedo-change)

Advice please - Speedo change - enigma - 19-04-2017 09:52pm

I have recently purchase my second Evoque from a Range Rover dealer. It is a used vehicle.
A documented speedo change was made previously. I assumed that to get the total mileage covered, I should add the current mileage to the documented mileage when the speedo was changed.
I have been told by my dealer that the mileage currently shown is the total mileage, the reason given is when a speedo is removed, the vehicle remembers the miles and when a new speedo is fitted it automatically shows the previous remembered mileage and not zero. Any advice regarding this subject would be greatly appreciated.

RE: Advice please - Speedo change - enigma - 20-04-2017 12:20pm

(19-04-2017 09:52pm)enigma Wrote:  I have recently purchase my second Evoque from a Range Rover dealer. It is a used vehicle.
A documented speedo change was made previously. I assumed that to get the total mileage covered, I should add the current mileage to the documented mileage when the speedo was changed.
I have been told by my dealer that the mileage currently shown is the total mileage, the reason given is when a speedo is removed, the vehicle remembers the miles and when a new speedo is fitted it automatically shows the previous remembered mileage and not zero. Any advice regarding this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Any thoughts on this please

RE: Advice please - Speedo change - rchrdleigh - 20-04-2017 07:04pm

Not sure about the Evoque but it was certainly the case with a Mini One when I changed from a km speedo to a miles one and it not only remembered the original mileage but converted it from kms.

RE: Advice please - Speedo change - PhilSkill - 21-04-2017 08:43am

I would expect the mileage is stored in the ECU, not the dial. So think for once the dealer is right.

RE: Advice please - Speedo change - enigma - 28-04-2017 12:06pm

Thank you for your thoughts

RE: Advice please - Speedo change - Stadt Panzer - 29-04-2017 08:19am

(21-04-2017 08:43am)PhilSkill Wrote:  I would expect the mileage is stored in the ECU, not the dial. So think for once the dealer is right.

As above, JLR as with many other manufactures no longer store the mileage in the speedo housing but in side the ECU and another place (which I cannot tell you for security reasons), this stops certain people from manipulating the mileage on resaleEvil

RE: Advice please - Speedo change - wheels - 30-04-2017 07:27pm

(29-04-2017 08:19am)Stadt Panzer Wrote:  As above, JLR as with many other manufactures no longer store the mileage in the speedo housing but in side the ECU and another place (which I cannot tell you for security reasons), this stops certain people from manipulating the mileage on resaleEvil

Thats not quite true. I know firsthand that it can be made.

RE: Advice please - Speedo change - Stadt Panzer - 01-05-2017 04:32pm

(30-04-2017 07:27pm)wheels Wrote:  Thats not quite true. I know firsthand that it can be made.

Oh I never said it can not be done but it's a lot harder and if your a serious buyer you'll know to get it checked before hand.