Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Advice please - Speedo change
enigma

Advice please - Speedo change

I have recently purchase my second Evoque from a Range Rover dealer. It is a used vehicle.
A documented speedo change was made previously. I assumed that to get the total mileage covered, I should add the current mileage to the documented mileage when the speedo was changed.
I have been told by my dealer that the mileage currently shown is the total mileage, the reason given is when a speedo is removed, the vehicle remembers the miles and when a new speedo is fitted it automatically shows the previous remembered mileage and not zero. Any advice regarding this subject would be greatly appreciated.
19-04-2017 09:52pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
enigma

RE: Advice please - Speedo change

(19-04-2017 09:52pm)enigma Wrote:  I have recently purchase my second Evoque from a Range Rover dealer. It is a used vehicle.
A documented speedo change was made previously. I assumed that to get the total mileage covered, I should add the current mileage to the documented mileage when the speedo was changed.
I have been told by my dealer that the mileage currently shown is the total mileage, the reason given is when a speedo is removed, the vehicle remembers the miles and when a new speedo is fitted it automatically shows the previous remembered mileage and not zero. Any advice regarding this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Any thoughts on this please
20-04-2017 12:20pm
rchrdleigh

Not sure about the Evoque but it was certainly the case with a Mini One when I changed from a km speedo to a miles one and it not only remembered the original mileage but converted it from kms.
20-04-2017 07:04pm
PhilSkill

I would expect the mileage is stored in the ECU, not the dial. So think for once the dealer is right.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
21-04-2017 08:43am
enigma

Thank you for your thoughts
28-04-2017 12:06pm
Stadt Panzer

(21-04-2017 08:43am)PhilSkill Wrote:  I would expect the mileage is stored in the ECU, not the dial. So think for once the dealer is right.

As above, JLR as with many other manufactures no longer store the mileage in the speedo housing but in side the ECU and another place (which I cannot tell you for security reasons), this stops certain people from manipulating the mileage on resaleEvil

Somewhere in the North Sea.
29-04-2017 08:19am
wheels

(29-04-2017 08:19am)Stadt Panzer Wrote:  As above, JLR as with many other manufactures no longer store the mileage in the speedo housing but in side the ECU and another place (which I cannot tell you for security reasons), this stops certain people from manipulating the mileage on resaleEvil

Thats not quite true. I know firsthand that it can be made.
30-04-2017 07:27pm
Stadt Panzer

(30-04-2017 07:27pm)wheels Wrote:  Thats not quite true. I know firsthand that it can be made.

Oh I never said it can not be done but it's a lot harder and if your a serious buyer you'll know to get it checked before hand.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
01-05-2017 04:32pm