babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Fuel siphoning - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Fuel siphoning (/Thread-Fuel-siphoning)

Fuel siphoning - PDES - 30-01-2017 05:47pm

I need to siphon a few gallons of diesel out of Mrs PDES's Evoque. However, no matter how much tube I get down the spout, it never seems to reach the diesel! So far I think I have pushed around 5 feet in and can't push any more as it feels like it has come to as hard stop.

Is there something down the fill tube that prevents the siphon tube from reaching the fuel?

Thanks

RE: Fuel siphoning - Tibbles stryker - 31-01-2017 01:34am

They normally have an anti siphoning device so it'll be difficult.

RE: Fuel siphoning - XFullFatTim - 31-01-2017 09:56am

Haven't all cars since the early 1970'd been fitted with anti-siphon devices to prevent theft of fuel from parked cars, especially when fuel prices rocketed to 10/- a gallon.......
(For those too young to remember that is 50p for 4.54ltrs and in those days only lorries ran on diesel and you added Redex to poor quality petrol to prevent "pinking"........)
Giving my age away now.

RE: Fuel siphoning - PDES - 31-01-2017 11:08am

So, how do the police manage to "dip" the tanks of vehicles for red diesel at the side of the road?

RE: Fuel siphoning - PhilSkill - 31-01-2017 04:26pm

A tiny tube can normally get passed the siphoning device, enough for a sample, but not enough to siphon a tank in any reasonable time. There may be a fuel drain plug, if not you have to unclip a hose somewhere.

Take extreme care if you drain the tank!