babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Do I ask dealer not to prepare - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Detailing & Car Care (/Forum-Detailing-Car-Care)
+--- Thread: Do I ask dealer not to prepare (/Thread-Do-I-ask-dealer-not-to-prepare)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Do I ask dealer not to prepare - defender_uk - 08-02-2012 12:35pm

sorry...but what are detailers and what do they do???? I know I am thick.....

RE: Do I ask dealer not to prepare - The Valeter - 08-02-2012 09:37pm

A detailer is an American term for valeter.
In the UK a Detailer is the step above valeter & generally uses very expensive products with multi stage preparation etc. I just don't think new cars really need a detail to be honest just proper preparation provided they havn't sat in a compound for ages or stored near a railway line etc. Apparently some get new cars clay barred by request, this is usually done when a car has become contaminated from air polutants etc which shouldn't be the case if it has just come from the production line.

Generally when you have a car detailed it is usually a bit worse for wear especially the paint & you have a multi stage paint renovation/correction then polished & sealed. Generally a very extensive valet which as predantic as I am to me is a waste of money if you use the car on a daily basis as as soon as you wash the car the next time you are contributing to the next lot of scratches/swirls on the paintwork. I think the only time a car benefits from a "Detail" as such is if it is a car you only use on summer dry days & or for shows only or if you are using it for a special occasion etc.

(not promoting my services) Just to explain that I am a detailed valeter in as much as I take plenty of time in what I do & it is done thoroughly but I do not to paint correction etc as this can be a risky process if done wrong!

RE: Do I ask dealer not to prepare - Mikey777 - 08-02-2012 09:49pm

Hi Peet,
I live in n/yorks and am thinking of using detailer. Can I ask who you using and what dealer?
Thanks
Mikey Very Happy

quote='peet' pid='38195' dateline='1328433764']
I'm getting a detailer to prep the car at the dealership before I take delivery. They know each other and I can be assured of a thorough inspection of the finish before I accept the car.
[/quote]

RE: Do I ask dealer not to prepare - XFullFatTim - 08-02-2012 10:25pm

I would have thought that having a brand new car "detailed" would be about the worst thing you could do for a new paint finish. In my younger days as a new car owner I was always told never to to polish a new car in it's first year - use good quality detergent to wash it on a cloudy day and then dry it carefully with a Chamois leather but NEVER to apply any polish. I appreciate that water based paints are not as good and cars leave the factory with a zillion paint defects, but the first time you drive out in it it's going to get road crap on it so what's the point of wasting loads of money on a "detail" on a new car

RE: Do I ask dealer not to prepare - THEMACS - 08-02-2012 11:03pm

(08-02-2012 10:25pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I would have thought that having a brand new car "detailed" would be about the worst thing you could do for a new paint finish. In my younger days as a new car owner I was always told never to to polish a new car in it's first year - use good quality detergent to wash it on a cloudy day and then dry it carefully with a Chamois leather but NEVER to apply any polish. I appreciate that water based paints are not as good and cars leave the factory with a zillion paint defects, but the first time you drive out in it it's going to get road crap on it so what's the point of wasting loads of money on a "detail" on a new car

I have spoken to a detailer who is going to do our new Evoque at the dealers before we pick up, from what I understand it is more of a protection with perhaps a bit of corrective work if required. I think you would be surprised at the state a lot of new cars com e through to the dealers, although I am sure you know that Tim, maybe thats why you chose whiteLaughing

RE: Do I ask dealer not to prepare - XFullFatTim - 08-02-2012 11:32pm

At the moment mine is more Ipanema mud over Fuji white - haven't washed it for a week and don't see any point in doing it until the weather improves - now I remember why the last 2 cars have been Stornoway Grey!